Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-08-2023, 09:43 PM
middy

Help a noob with PixInsight

I need some help with PixInsight while my trial is still active. I have multiple nights of data on a target with each night also having its own set of Darks, Flats and DarkFlats. I want to know the best way to combine all these in PI. The data I have is as follows (all taken with an OSC camera, no filters involved):

Lights:
15/06/23: 97 x 60 sec
16/06/23: 137 x 60 sec
17/06/23: 192 x 60 sec
23/06/23: 62 x 60 sec
11/07/23: 66 x 90 sec
09/08/23: 31 x 180 sec
10/08/23: 23 x 300 sec
11/08/23: 24 x 300 sec
14/08/23: 24 x 300 sec

10 Darks and 30 each of Flats and DarkFlats (a set for each night)

Previously, I used Nebulosity and I would calibrate, align and combine each night separately. Then I would align and combine the stacked images from each night into a single image, ready for stretching and other post-processing. Doing it this way made it fairly easy to add another night's data without having to stack the whole lot each time. This process worked well for me and I was happy with the results.

Back to PI, I'd read that it was better to stack everything all together. So, after watching a few of Adam Block's videos on how to use WBPP, I had everything loaded up, all correctly pointing to the right files. I'd added a set of bias frames so I could optimise the darks, etc, etc. I hit go, and 36 hours later it crashed with a memory error at the final integration phase. I tried to restart it but, no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to pick up where it left off (probably me being a complete noob at PI). I decided my sanity was more important than going through all that again and switched back to my previous workflow of stacking each night individually in PI.

So I now have 9 master light files, one for each of the nights, and I want to combine those into a master of all masters light file. I have tried to use WBPP again to combine them, with no pre-processing, but it only sees them as individual images. I can't seem to group them no matter what keywords or directory structure I use. Help!! I want to like PI, I really do!
Old 17-08-2023, 10:13 PM
rmuhlack (Richard)
Professional Nerd

this pdf guide is what you are after (i have found it super helpful for OSC image pre-processing in PI)

https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.p...insight.11547/
Old 17-08-2023, 10:16 PM
rmuhlack (Richard)
Professional Nerd

if you made it all the way to the final integration the WBPP script probably saved all the calibrated and registered files somewhere. so you might just be able to proceed directly to the integration step (using the ImageIntegration process). follow the guide linked above for suggestions on the settings to use.

btw, nice obs you've got there in your profile pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PXL_20230814_080315386.jpg)
199.0 KB25 views
Old 17-08-2023, 10:51 PM
middy

Thanks for the PDF link, I'll have a read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuhlack View Post
btw, nice obs you've got there in your profile pic
Well it was your thread all those years ago, over in DIY Observatories, that put me onto the Absco Pool Cover Shed. So thanks for that
https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...d.php?t=123368

I am intrigued by your insulation. I have been thinking of insulating mine because it gets as hot as Hades in the middle of summer. What did you use? Does the reflective silver affect things much with stray light?
Old 18-08-2023, 08:21 AM
rmuhlack (Richard)
Professional Nerd

I used Foilboard insulation (https://www.foilboard.com.au/) - Ultra 20, as that is what the local hardware store had in stock. I only installed it in March so haven't tested it yet through a heat wave, but it does seem quite effective. havent notice any issues with stray light from reflections off the foil, but im using a dew shield which probably helps in that regard.
Old 18-08-2023, 03:53 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middy View Post
>snip
So I now have 9 master light files, one for each of the nights, and I want to combine those into a master of all masters light file.
>snip
Hi Andrew

If I understand correctly:
  • You have successfully produced x9 Master Light files that have already been calibrated (Darks, Flats, etc.), and they are “good to go”.
  • You now want to Align and Combine those finished Light Frames.

If that is the case, then all you need to do in PI is to run the “Star Alignment” Process and then the “Image Integration” Process for those Aligned Files.
  • With “Star Alignment” I output the results to a new Folder which I just call “Aligned”.
  • With “Image Integration” I save the results to a Folder called “Combined” where I can then play with other Processes such as “DynamicBackgroundExtraction” etc.

Hope that helps.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PI Andrew.jpg)
153.5 KB14 views
Click for full-size image (PI Integrate Andrew.jpg)
127.2 KB14 views
Old 18-08-2023, 06:22 PM
middy

Thanks Dennis, your understanding is correct. I’ll give that a go after I’ve added another night of data to it tonight.