Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2006, 06:35 PM
cjmarsh81

Cool What Telescope?

Howdy all.

I am new to Astronomy. I have never used an astronomical telescope before. I would like to get into the hobby as it really interests me.

My question is which telescope to get. I have read reviews on the internet to get a dobsonian as a first telescope and move up from there. I would prefer to go straight out and buy a skywatcher 200mm telescope with the appropriate lenses and filters.

Starting out I would like to view the moon and planets and progress later to stars/nebulae etc.

What lenses do I need? For you regulars out there what do you use? Reflector/Refractor/cassegrain? What will give me the best performance for the price. I am looking at spending around $1500 on a telescope/accessories. What do you suggest?

All help will be appreciated!
Old 06-01-2006, 06:41 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Look out cjmarsh. you are about to be inundated by the dobbing fraternity. So being an EQer with SCT and refractors I'll get in first. Get a dob. For $1500 you will pick up a great buy of either a 10" or 12" GS Dob and have lots of room left for good quality eyepieces. If you go the 10" at around $700 you can get the really really really good eyepieces, but if you get the 12" you only get the really really good eyepieces.

JM2CW but what do I know I take pictures, so the above is sort of a summary of the advice you are about to receive.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:45 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

DOBS ROOL, seriously 200-250mm Dob is an ideal scope for not only a newby but also a seasoned observer. you can't go wrong.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:00 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

a 200m saxon dob is a good start
you'll see heaps with it. for $1500 you can get more aperture tho
Old 06-01-2006, 07:03 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Hi cj. &
You will not go wrong if you remember the #1 'Golden Rule'. That is 'Aperture wins'.
Starting out with at least a 10" f4.5/5 dob would be my suggestion.
The tubes are relatively short in length, easily transportable in small cars, will give great views, are easy to keep in collimation & assist with you learning the night sky.
They can be modified to do 'almost' the same as most driven t'scopes.
The FIRST thing that I would do tho, is get myself to a club meeting night/observing night to 'SEE' what is avail.
There are just too many options.......... but do not skimp on eye pieces or barlow lens.
HTH. L.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:16 PM
mick pinner
Astrolounge

IF $1500.00 is your limit then l suppose a dob is the way to go, but beware if like some others you look at the photos on the site and deciede l want to do that now then a dob will not be for you, yes you can image through a dob but it's not really a job for a new guy, if you think astrophography might become a passion then a bit of saving and maybe go for an eq platform with some sort of go-to.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:31 PM
cjmarsh81

Hello all again

Sorry, I did not clarify the telescope I am looking at. It is a Skymaster SKP2001HEQ5. It has an HEQ5 mount. 200mm Diameter and F/5 400x practical power. Check out this link http://www.skywatchertelescope.com/2001PEQ5.html. I can get it for AUD $1350, and the guy said he would do a deal if I bought lenses at the same time.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:36 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Have you looked at MyAstroShop?

They sell skywatcher newtonians, both in dob base and EQ mounted. They are a great price, and you'll get great service (pre and post sales) by one of australia's most reputable amateur astronomers.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:36 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

PS: How did you hear about us?

to the forum!
Old 06-01-2006, 07:37 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

well thats a different story!
sounds like a good one then
Old 06-01-2006, 07:44 PM
cjmarsh81

myastroshop

Thanks Iceman. yes that is a lot cheaper than the one I have been looking at
Old 06-01-2006, 07:46 PM
cjmarsh81

Iceman, I spent most of the afternoon searching the internet for a decent astronomy forum. Believe me, there are not many around.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:51 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

In Australia, you're right about that! I hope you like it here and come back often!

There's plenty of great advice to be given so just ask plenty of questions.

Where abouts in NSW are you?
Old 06-01-2006, 07:53 PM
cjmarsh81

I am in Newcastle. Currently suburbia, so don't know what kind of views I will get with a telescope. However, will be moving to Far North Queensland next year (country) and so should have no street lights etc.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:56 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Have you checked out NAS? (Newcastle Astronomy Society)

Several IceInSpace members also belong to the NAS, and they'll be more than happy to have you along to their viewing nights or meetings to show you some of their telescopes.

You should also consider coming to our new moon observing nights at Kulnura, with is just south of you by about an hour. We usually have IceInSpace members from the Central Coast, Sydney and Newcastle coming every month, and it's a great fun time.

Also, please check out the IceInSpace AstroCamp, happening at the end of this month just north/west of you. There'll be over 50 people there with different types of telescopes and you'll get to see through them and try before you buy!

Steve Massey (from MyAstroShop) might also be there so you can have a chat to him in person.

Hope to see you there!
Old 06-01-2006, 07:56 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

if this tracks, i assume it does as slow motion tracking adjustments, then it looks great, but if not and you aren't sure about really wanting tracking, go a 12" dob!
Old 06-01-2006, 08:34 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman
In Australia, you're right about that! I hope you like it here and come back often!

There's plenty of great advice to be given so just ask plenty of questions.

Where abouts in NSW are you?
"IN AUSTRALIA" you sell your self and IIS short ice, ice baby. This is THE astronomy forum on the planet, no question.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:09 PM
cjmarsh81

Hi There. For all you NAS members out there. Do you still meet at the Newcastle University on the last friday of every month? Could not find out much more on your website. Is this a viewing night, the website says it is a night for lectures and seminars. I am interested in checking out some telescopes before I go and buy one.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:20 PM
cjmarsh81

Hi all!

After going through the forums on this site I have changed my mind on the telescope I am going to get. Yes it is a Dob.

I am now looking at the skywatcher 8" or 10". Any recommendations? Does anyone know anything about the skywatcher brand? Which brand do you recommend?

What lenses do I need. I am interested in Planets and now also DSO's
Old 08-01-2006, 03:22 PM
mickoking
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmarsh81
Hi all!

After going through the forums on this site I have changed my mind on the telescope I am going to get. Yes it is a Dob.

I am now looking at the skywatcher 8" or 10". Any recommendations? Does anyone know anything about the skywatcher brand? Which brand do you recommend?

What lenses do I need. I am interested in Planets and now also DSO's
I think you have made a wise choice in scope. A 250mm Dob will show more than it's smaller 200mm brother but it's also larger to transport either way you will have a fine scope. With regards to skywatcher products I think most people will agree they are great value for money and their product is improving all the time. I personally own a 120mm skywatcher refractor and its a joy to use.

As for lenses I assume you mean eyepieces. When you purchase a scope like the skywatcher (Dob) they will chuck in a few 'resonable' quality eyepieces to get you started. But if and when you want to assemble some quality eyepieces (recommended) start of with a low power (25-20mm) and a moderate high power (approx 10mm) and from there your eyepiece collection will grow in the direction of your observing prefrences. I lean towards Deep sky observing so most of my eyepieces are low to medium power with only a few high power e/p's. Many are also wide angle and I dont own a barlow lens.

I hope my waffle has helped chill