Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2015, 08:39 AM
chaleur (Kaye)

RFI: Sydney Astronomy

Hello there!

I'm a graphics programmer on Google Earth (I worked on the stars!) and an amateur astronomer. I am Canadian but I work in California. I am excited to say that I will be be at our Sydney office for some time in February.

I've never seen your wonderful southern sky before, and I know you have way better deep sky objects than we do. My question is: how can I see them? I see there are a lot of astronomy groups in Sydney, and I working on going through their web sites, but I was hoping for some recommendations.

I would bring my scope and wander off in search of a dark place myself, but I am afraid of your drop bears and box-jellyfish-tornados ;-). Also poisonous snakes and spiders. Anyway, I think I should probably not wander around the wilderness on my own.

Heck, I would even hire someone to give me a deep sky tour.

NB: I am a visual astronomer, so I am not looking to take pictures.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:37 AM
astronut (John)
2'sCompany3's a StarParty

Hi Kaye,
You are most welcome to attend our observing nights.

We are The Macarthur Astronomical Society, and we have access to some of the best dark sky sites in the state.
Let me know if you are interested.

Our site is www.macastro.org.au

Cheers, John.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Occulta (Chris)

Asnsw

Hi Kaye

Welcome to the Forum.

The Astronomical Society of New South Wales has 2 dark sky site that you are most welcome to attend.
Our 'local' site Crago is just over an hour from the centre of Sydney in the lower Blue Mountains. Observing in February is on the 14th.
Our Dark Sky site is 3 hours from Sydney and has similar darkness readings to Siding Spring Observatory, Australia's major optical observatory. The February dates are 20th and 21st.

If you would like to attend any of these facilities please use the contact links included on our society's web site. www.asnsw.com

Chris
Old 08-01-2015, 12:25 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Kaye,

indeed to IIS.

The two clubs below are great options. In this particular forum you will also find other informal gatherings which I'm sure you'll be able to hitch a ride with someone to attend

Between which dates will you be in Sydney? This will help us give you the best information. Where abouts will you be staying in Sydney? This too will help. I'm in Sydney's east, not too far from the Airport to give you a reference. Getting a car or need a lift?

Cheers,

Alex.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:30 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Welcome to Ice in Space Kaye!

As above - but also keep an eye on the Events forum closer to New Moon and you'll see smaller group events pop up. You'll find any of the folk in here are friendly and welcoming and happy to give you the guided tour

Be prepared to go a couple of hours out of Sydney for a dark sky, as the light pollution extends quite a long way.

Also be prepared to stay up late, as around this time of year the Magellanic Clouds will be high early on and the good stuff around Carina, Crux etc rises later on.

When it comes to wilderness and wild life, never go alone. Much like Canada, places get remote here fast and in the event of emergency you don't want to be without help. To be fair, California has its fair share of nasty snakes and spiders, and Canada has bears
My rule of thumb (and Aussies will no doubt laugh at this) is not to go knocking on doors where snakes live...that means walking through long grass (for me long means above ankle height!) or bushes, loitering under trees, etc. And so long as you don't turn your back on them, you should be OK with the drop bears
Old 08-01-2015, 12:46 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Pay heed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	drop bear.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	175575

Last edited by mental4astro; 08-01-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:30 PM
Wavytone

Kaye the dates of New Moon are January 30th and March 1st.

The observing opportunities for "saturday night observers" travelling to dark skies out of Sydney (about a 2 hour drive) are hence Saturday 31 january or 28th February.

if you are here on these dates you stand a chance of getting a ride with someone. If not you'll be taking your chances with the drop-snakes, killer koalas and feral wombats on your own

Sadly the light pollution come from this city is so bright and covers such an extent virtually none of us pull out a scope at home anymore except to view the moon, Jupiter or Saturn.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:41 AM
Robh (Rob)

Hi Kaye,

WSAAG does observing at the Linden Observatory site in the Blue Mountains. About 1.5 hours drive from the CBD or 1 hour from Parramatta. Could take longer depending on traffic.
http://wsaag.org
We have an observing night on the 14th Feb. If clouded out, other arrangements could be made.

You will need a car (or someone to drive you) to get to Linden and back late at night.

Regards, Rob
Old 10-01-2015, 11:52 AM
Robh (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Kaye the dates of New Moon are January 30th and March 1st.
I think those dates were for 2014.
The relevant date for the New Moon (2015) is on Feb 19th.

Regards, Rob