Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

September Obs. Challenge- with a twist

Hi all,

For this month's "challenge", how about suggesting fewer targets, but asking participants to do a sketch or two.

What I love about this hobby is the variety of scopes in use, and the different images they provide. So, there is no right or wrong image, take, or observation.

And, the best part about attempting a sketch is not the 'quality' of the drawing, as it is only an interpretation, but I feel it enhances our powers of observation.

To that end, I will make at least two sketches of the same object using two different scopes, a 6" reflector and a 17.5" reflector.

My object suggestions range for small to large scopes to provide a 'push to the limit':

Bright target: M8, the Lagoon Nebula, in Scorpio. A lovely bright open cluster & bright nebula target. It is also known as the Hourglass nebula due to the striking dark lane the separates the two lobes of the nebula.

Medium target: M57, the Ring Nebula, in Lyra. One of the most spectacular things I've seen in the whole sky. One of the largest planetary nebulae in the sky, with its striking doughnut shape.

Dim target: NGC 1365, in Fornax. The big barred spiral galaxy in the Fornax Cluster. One of the few barred galaxies to visually have its bar observable, though the bar is better seen in larger instruments.

There is nothing to stop anyone targeting any of these objects, only yourself. Have a shot, you might be surprised.

Sketching tips:

Illumination- use a red light to do your drawing with. Red cellophane, 3 or 4 layers, over a torch is good.

Paper- better quality A4 paper is best as it has a much finer texture for really fine detail. Any of the Aussie made "Reflex" range is superb. Do the sketch on white paper as it easier to see the markings when using a graphite pencil.

Pencil- for simplicity I recommend a sharp B2 pencil, and a rubber. This grade of pencil is soft enough for easier to see markings, but hard enough to cope with variation in applied pressure.

Final transfer- As with the white paper, try to get a fine grade black paper. For the stars, you can use a needle to control the size of stars with a white paint, like the one in your kid's paint collection. Oh, and raid their coloured pencils for a white pencil- perfect for faint, soft nebula/galaxy detail.

I've uploaded a couple of mine. The first is of M8 through my 5" done a few years ago, the second is of the Antennae galaxy with my 17.5" done last month. The last is a 'test' sketch while I figured out how to handle the materials- experiment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (d3 010.jpg)
208.7 KB95 views
Click for full-size image (antennae galaxy 001.jpg)
130.0 KB81 views
Click for full-size image (d3 024.jpg)
84.6 KB90 views

Last edited by mental4astro; 03-09-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:17 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Don't forget there is the observing log in the resource section to help you with your sketch and other notes.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/download.php?8cc5c730c4c6652ce403b1 1fe2e4a221

The challenge might be to find some clear skies this month.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:07 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Nice one Michael .

Any further September object sketch suggestions, bright, medium and dim targets? Even really dim?

How about a really dim one, NGC 2573 in Octans, lifting an object from last month's, and visible all year from southern latitudes.

Mental.

Last edited by mental4astro; 09-09-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: got seasons & months mixed up, derrr!
Old 06-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

I think your idea of fewer targets and sketching is a great one. And your point about enhancing powers of observation is spot on.

And thanks for keeping the monthly challenge idea going. I think it's really worthwhile for finding things that I haven't looked at before and revisiting some that I have to find more detail. I suspect a lot of people are doing this. It would be great if people can post some of their sketches, if ever the clouds clear.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Rob_K

Conditions were OK early on so I gave it a go! Attached is my sketch of Ring Nebula at 112x (4.5" reflector, 8mm EP). Very low at my place, but got it in the north at about the highest it gets, 20 degrees. Transparency was fair at that altitude, but seeing was pretty ordinary.

Had a look at the Lagoon Nebula at 47x & 112x (21mm & 8mm EPs). Preferred the former view, with the nebula & cluster in more context. The included cluster NGC 6530 looks so much brighter & denser at low powers. At 112x the dark lane was better defined, and I could make some sense of the tiny Hourglass Nebula. Close to zenith, sky was very good there!

But doubt if I'll get to see NGC 1365 with light cloud coming in. Did go to the Grus Quartet - nice, all four galaxies fairly easily visible, even NGC 7590. Great view, all comfortably in the FOV at 47x. Then toured some of the "Biggie" globular clusters including OC (drool), 47 Tuc (2nd best ), M13 (sad), M22 (bright but no resolution), M4 (strong 'Cat's Eye' bar showing; could fit M4 & NGC 6144 in same field - chalk & cheese!). Also saw M27 Dumbbell nebula - nice view at 47x, bright, good hints of the 'dumbbell' shape. Earlier, had seen the rapidly fading comet, 2P Encke. Right on the very limit of my vision, a tiny extremely-faint dull patch that could barely be held in averted vision.

Just great to have some sky in such a poor winter (er Spring)! Look forward to some sketches coming in!

Cheers -
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ring nebula 001 text.jpg)
97.3 KB69 views
Old 08-09-2010, 11:15 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Beautiful stuff, Rob.

Saw an opportunity this evening at 8:30, pulled out my 8" scope, then, dew. Lots of it. No wind and humid, and cool. I should have known, when looking at Jupiter, the tell tale sign of an extended disk surrounding the planet. Ended session after less than an hour, , very wet.

I hope the weekend is better.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Rob_K

Thanks Alex, raining now! Hope you get a better run soon!

Cheers -
Old 09-09-2010, 08:35 AM
pgc hunter

Nice sketch Rob! Fist one I've seen from you. You must do more, you've clearly got the skills mate, - assuming it's not Melbournecast ofcourse.

Last edited by pgc hunter; 09-09-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Alex what a fabulous idea to include sketches! I'm excited!

These last few ob. challenges have been so much fun for me. Please keep them coming. I'm enjoying the variety (imaging targets last time, sketches this time). I like your selection so far of M8 & M57. I saw M57 for the first time about a month ago and I couldn't believe what I was seeing could be that good compared to pics! Am anxious to re-visit this again and attempt (*cough*) a shaky sketch.

Thank you so much for posting those tips on sketching - I want to learn and have been eager to get some tips as I'm clueless.
Alex & Rob- I love your sketches - you should post them to us more often. Sketches give a nice balance to the many astro pics we see here.

Also, Ditto for everything Patrick said.

Last edited by Suzy; 09-09-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Great sketch, Rob. Looking forward to more.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:24 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Thanks for the encouragement, folks. It makes it worthwhile.

The thing with these selected targets is that, though M8 & M 57 are relatively bright, the bigger your scope, the more fine detail you can see.

So, if you've got a "big'un", gi' me some boks & filaments!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Suzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
the bigger your scope, the more fine detail you can see.
Yes, size does matter. I compensate by using a great imagination.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:53 PM
M54 (Molly)

Thanks for those suggestions Alex.
I'll give them a go in my 5". The Lagoon is faint and fuzzy in my scope but I haven't looked at the other two.
NGC 1365 is Mag. 9.5 so will just be at the edge of my scopes capacity from what I've experienced. Hope I can find it.
Got a local star party this weekend, so if the weather comes to the party too I'll be able to try them.
I use lots of imagination too Suzy. When it fails me I go looking round the field for a look through someone elses bigger scope.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:59 PM
smurf (Simon)
Starting with a 12"

I took my scope out to the UNENTAS meeting last night, and we were very lucky in that we had a brilliantly clear sky (considering that it was quite cloudy with a bit of rain around today)!

I managed to find the Ring Nebula last night and will agree that it is spectacular, with the ring shape very easy to make out in my 12" dob.

I will definitely consider having a go at some sketches if I get a chance at some clear skies over the next few weeks.
I just hope that I can find all of the required bits and pieces at a standard newsagent.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:08 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

One suggestion that might help with sketching, those little clip-on book lights are great to attach to your clipboard to illuminate the paper. You can paint the bulb red and/or wrap the red cellophane over the lamp.

I found my book light at a $2 shop. Cost me less than $5. Aldi had the same one a couple of weeks ago for less than $3. No-more stuffing around with a hand held torch!
Old 12-09-2010, 07:32 AM
orestis

Thanks for the thread Alex great targets

I managed to complete a sketch of m57 yesterday (attached)

You can see the full obs report in the obs report forum.

regars orestis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (m57.jpg)
49.0 KB40 views
Old 14-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Suzy

Orestis you do amazing sketches!
Old 14-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Suzy

Regarding Sketches.

I wanted to do a practice run with sketching M-57 (The Ring Neb), so I asked my daughter for some tips as she is good with art (don't know why I didn't think to ask her before) and she has given some really good tips...

* She demonstrated that an HB pencil is better than a 2B pencil in that it smudges. The 2B wouldn't smudge. Your thoughts Alex?

* Draw the ring starting from the outside and work towards the inside to produce a better effect for smudging. Wet your finger slightly and smudge. Wow.

* She also said with using white paint, that you can smudge it for shading by adding some water.

* You can do stars with white paint using a fine tip paint brush (I had a go and is quite effective.

And a Question..
From what I understand, you do the sketches on white paper, and then you use black paper to do the file transfer. I don't understand how you get the whites of the stars on the black paper - do you re-do the stars with paint?

By the way, I don't know how people sketch in winter (I can barely feel my fingers, let alone hold a pencil! Sketching for me is purely a warmer weather sport.
Old 14-09-2010, 03:17 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Hi Susy,

I guess I'll answer each in turn:

* The choice of pencil is a practical one. I don't smudge my drawings as I then run the risk of smudging the star dots, notes, corrections, etc. I rather control the pressure on the pencil. Even an eraser rarely breathes the night air, errors simply have a line crossing it- just my standardised note making. A 2B pencil should smudge much more easierly than an HB, it is softer. A 2H is another matter. Where I start a drawing depends on the object- sometimes I mark the prominent star patterns first, other times the boundaries of the object, like that of M57.

* With my black paper reproductions, I too use white paint, and an old compass (from an old kids geometry set) to do the dots with. This gives me the dot size control I'm after. Next to me is a tissue & little pot with water to clean the point. If I need to do a correction to the white, I use a fine black felt tip pen.

* The reason I do my in-the-field drawings on white paper is it is easier to see the graphite on the white paper (for me anyway). It is also easier to make fine detailed notes with a fine graphite pencil. This includes graduation notes for the varying nebulosity intensities. My in-the-field sketches tend to be messy affairs, riddled with notes, 'mistakes', and saliva, .

* In winter I use leather driving gloves. I've found these to be insulative enough for my purposes, & thin enough for me to control the pencil.

If you want to smudge on black paper for the 'nebula' effect, I wouldn't suggest wetting the paper- it will warp. Unless you have gone to the extent of using water colour paper & prestretched it, ordinary paper will warp when you wet it. Instead, use a 'water colour pencil', sharpen it, and with a cotton bud, use the shavings to create the smudge effect. It is also less clumsy than one's finger. These 'water colour pencils' are less waxy in texture. You can get individual coloured pencils from art supply stores.

If I'm unsure of the execution of a desired effect, I still practice a series of trials on another sheet of black paper. Even now I still trail effects, as the materials at hand can change, and the 'touch' might need a little tweeking.
Old 14-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Suzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
My in-the-field sketches tend to be messy affairs, riddled with notes, 'mistakes', and saliva, .
Mine will be riddled with dried patches of Chardonnay spills (or a Corona if I find this sketching thing to be thirsty, hard work). I know, I know, alcohol affects vision, but out there on my own, late at night, it is the only friend I have (and an amazingly comforting friend at that).

Thank you Alex for taking the time out to give those great tips.

I really do hope many of us will be putting up sketches for this month's challenge. Doesn't matter if it's good or bad - where having fun, and learning at the same time!