Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-09-2014, 05:37 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

NGC 55 - With less nasties

I still had two bad spots, probably because I took the flats today, 4 days after the lights were taken, so things weren't exactly the same... thus the crop.

This is 10x600s luminance. Not sure whether to keep it and add to it, knowing that it'll affect the crop, or discard it and start from scratch. Either way, I'll be adding more data, as well as RGB eventually.

This is one of my first mostly successful attempts at guided imaging. I say mostly successful because the stars are a bit big and aren't pin sharp because of the guiding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ngc_55_10x600L.jpg)
134.6 KB62 views
Old 27-09-2014, 11:06 PM
Rex

Nice Lee, looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 28-09-2014, 10:03 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Looks good, Lee! You will be able to improve the stars with some careful processing, but starting with better quality data is always better. The guiding will be affecting the detail in the galaxy as well, it's just more subtle.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 29-09-2014, 08:07 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Nice Lee, looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Thanks Rex :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Looks good, Lee! You will be able to improve the stars with some careful processing, but starting with better quality data is always better. The guiding will be affecting the detail in the galaxy as well, it's just more subtle.

Cheers,
Rick.
Thanks Rick :-)

Absolutely. I use the stars as a gauge for what happened to the galaxy, so it'll be somewhat blurred.

I tried to capture RGB data last night, but binned them and got the old square stars again, so that's all junk. I think I'm too undersampled to bin the colour subs as the slightest variation in the subs seems to result in square stars after integration, even when the individual subs appear to have round stars.

I think I'll just add to the current L with RGB and then revisit the L later, just so I can get a colour image even if it's a bit soft. Tonight I'll try doing unbinned R, if the weather holds.