Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-01-2017, 01:57 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunk View Post
The DS is critical in seeing the fine surface detail. Without it you will be looking at prominences and little else so figure it in to your purchase price.
Yes the DS absolutely does make the fine detail easier to see. OTOH, If I was seeing "prominences but little else" in single mode, I'd return the scope to the shop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ0BzkCeItA
Old 14-01-2017, 05:06 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Yes the DS absolutely does make the fine detail easier to see. OTOH, If I was seeing "prominences but little else" in single mode, I'd return the scope to the shop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ0BzkCeItA
Cameras pick up detail in the far IR much easier than the eye. the difference between SS and DS visually is amazing. Cak is even more extreme - some people can't even see the violet disk and nobody can make out detail visually, but through a mono camera the detail is incredible.
Old 14-01-2017, 05:08 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by m11 View Post
Hi Astrojunk,

Thanks for recommending that model. Its good to know what to look for a scope.

Looking at Andrews , most scope dont seem to not have ds , i assume you need to add it seperately?

Thanks,

Mel
It is possible to get it as an aftermarket addition. The one pictured has a red DS attached to it, but as you rightly say, isn't included.
Old 14-01-2017, 05:18 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Just for fun, here's my Mate Rob's Lunt setup which he uses for outreach:

L-R
152mm Ha DS
100mm CaK
100mm Ha DS
100mm White light Herschel Wedge

He uses cameras on the trio and folk get to peer through the eyepiece of the 152! (I was really rather impressed by the white light view BTW)

I was there when Andy Lunt came over from the US with his engineer to install them

Needless to say, you would have to sell a jolly nice car to buy that lot. I'm happy with my 50mm
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20160423_110232 (Large).jpg)
226.0 KB43 views
Old 15-01-2017, 07:25 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I've been eyeing off a 152mm DS, I just need to sell of my kidneys, lung and my spleen.
Old 15-01-2017, 08:26 AM
m11 (Mel)

Hi AstroJunk,

Thabk you for confirming. At least i know what i need think about and consider. The DS module is not cheap to add. The lunt 60 with Ds included is already 5k

I might need to save up a bit more.

Mel

Quote:
It is possible to get it as an aftermarket addition. The one pictured has a red DS attached to it, but as you rightly say, isn't included.
Old 15-01-2017, 02:16 PM
astro744

I first got a taste of Ha viewing with a brief look through someone else's Coronado SolarMax 60. It was enough to get hooked into solar viewing and I then bought my own Coronado SolarMax 40 which is all I could afford at the time. It was one of the last of the earlier version (pre-Meade takeover) with full sized etalon and recommended to me over the PST for its narrower band pass and better focuser for both visual and photographic use.

I can see prominences and surface detail at the same time and I can enhance one over the other by tweaking the etalon and/or by focusing. The centre of the sun is slightly different focus to the edge. The band pass is 0.7 and with 40mm aperture it is a very good compromise to give both prominences and surface detail. If I were to double stack to get 0.5 band pass I would probably struggle for light with 40mm aperture but I'm not sure and it's a bit expensive for me to try and at this stage the current view is plenty pleasing with lots of detail visible. I use 25mm, 18mm & 12mm Cemax eyepieces with 18mm being my favourite but I also really enjoy the view with my 16mm Clave Plossl and 14mm Tele Vue Radian as the magnification is just about perfect.

Note as a single stack there is plenty of light with 40mm and the resolution is stunning. Buy the biggest aperture you can afford but don't be dismayed with lesser apertures as the view is quite pleasing especially for casual viewing of the Sun.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!
Old 15-01-2017, 04:19 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Mel,
I've using and "modding" solar telescopes for the last seven years.
Used both single and double stack assemblies.
In my opinion start with a single stack. This will gives you good views of the proms and surface features.
Old 15-01-2017, 06:51 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Cameras pick up detail in the far IR much easier than the eye. the difference between SS and DS visually is amazing.
Hi Jonathan, not sure if that's the main process at work here - I didn't think the narrow Ha band even touches far IR?

Different story for the calcium K line, whose wavelenght isn't that far from UV and just about outside of what humans can see.

I understand not all single stack scopes perform the same, ie band pass width differs.
Old 15-01-2017, 07:01 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Merlin,

Thank you for sharing. I guess now i am wondering is it really worth getting the double stack or buying more aperture as a single?

I guess i have been looking at it from the wrong perspective.

What would you recommend bang for buck is ideal?

Thanks again,

Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Mel,
I've using and "modding" solar telescopes for the last seven years.
Used both single and double stack assemblies.
In my opinion start with a single stack. This will gives you good views of the proms and surface features.
Old 15-01-2017, 07:08 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Astro,

Appreciate you sharing your experiences as it helps me make hopefully a more informed decision.

I guess now wondering if a ds will make a huge difference in the view or is it more dependant on the aperture or band pass?

I am now leaning towards a lunt LS60THa/B600C, as the b1200 is $600 more if i was to get it now.

Thanks,

Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro744 View Post
I first got a taste of Ha viewing with a brief look through someone else's Coronado SolarMax 60. It was enough to get hooked into solar viewing and I then bought my own Coronado SolarMax 40 which is all I could afford at the time. It was one of the last of the earlier version (pre-Meade takeover) with full sized etalon and recommended to me over the PST for its narrower band pass and better focuser for both visual and photographic use.

I can see prominences and surface detail at the same time and I can enhance one over the other by tweaking the etalon and/or by focusing. The centre of the sun is slightly different focus to the edge. The band pass is 0.7 and with 40mm aperture it is a very good compromise to give both prominences and surface detail. If I were to double stack to get 0.5 band pass I would probably struggle for light with 40mm aperture but I'm not sure and it's a bit expensive for me to try and at this stage the current view is plenty pleasing with lots of detail visible. I use 25mm, 18mm & 12mm Cemax eyepieces with 18mm being my favourite but I also really enjoy the view with my 16mm Clave Plossl and 14mm Tele Vue Radian as the magnification is just about perfect.

Note as a single stack there is plenty of light with 40mm and the resolution is stunning. Buy the biggest aperture you can afford but don't be dismayed with lesser apertures as the view is quite pleasing especially for casual viewing of the Sun.

Old 15-01-2017, 09:44 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Hi Jonathan, not sure if that's the main process at work here - I didn't think the narrow Ha band even touches far IR?

Different story for the calcium K line, whose wavelenght isn't that far from UV and just about outside of what humans can see.

I understand not all single stack scopes perform the same, ie band pass width differs.
I was meaning to correct that - I meant far red, 656.28nm
Old 16-01-2017, 07:48 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Hi Mel, try before buying if at all possible.
Yes DS makes a big difference but ultimately only you can decide if it's worth the money.
Both aperture and band pass determine how much detail you (easily) see, but they do this in different ways.
Old 16-01-2017, 08:23 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi N1,

Will try to do that.

Might wait to see if there any sales to allow me to get a decent scope hopefully with ds.

Appreciate all the help you have provides
Thanks again,

Mel

Quote:
Hi Mel, try before buying if at all possible.
Yes DS makes a big difference but ultimately only you can decide if it's worth the money.
Both aperture and band pass determine how much detail you (easily) see, but they do this in different ways.
Old 16-01-2017, 10:40 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Atmos,

I am finding solar is just as expensive hobby as my normal star gazing gear if not more so as I am viewing a singular object

The 152 looks like an awesome scope :p

Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I've been eyeing off a 152mm DS, I just need to sell of my kidneys, lung and my spleen.
Old 16-01-2017, 10:47 PM
m11 (Mel)

Just had a question regarding pressure tuning and whether its required? If I have an option, should I opt to buy a model with this? I am not too sure what it actually does?

Thanks,

Mel
Old 16-01-2017, 11:26 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

All Ha scopes can (and need to) be tuned by altering the optical surfaces very subtly. There are three methods of doing this that I can think of, electronically (Daystar), by tilting (Coronado) or by pressure (Lunt mostly). Your scope may be a combination of those.

My 50 has a pressure tuned etalon and tilt tuned DS unit for example. The theory goes that Pressure tuning is better than tilt tuning (a bit of history - Mr Lunt designed and built Coronado then sold the company to Meade. His son Andy went on to produced a whole new range of improved solar telescopes using pressure tuned technology). Electronic tuning a la Daystar seems to be the best by far, but requires long fl scopes and can't get a whole disk view.
Old 17-01-2017, 10:58 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Astro,

Thanks for explaining how the various tuning methods work.

It looks to me I may need to up the budget a bit.

Still deciding between double stack ls50 b600pt or single stack ls80. Would you still recommend a double stack?

Thanks,

Mel

Quote:
All Ha scopes can (and need to) be tuned by altering the optical surfaces very subtly. There are three methods of doing this that I can think of, electronically (Daystar), by tilting (Coronado) or by pressure (Lunt mostly). Your scope may be a combination of those.

My 50 has a pressure tuned etalon and tilt tuned DS unit for example. The theory goes that Pressure tuning is better than tilt tuning (a bit of history - Mr Lunt designed and built Coronado then sold the company to Meade. His son Andy went on to produced a whole new range of improved solar telescopes using pressure tuned technology). Electronic tuning a la Daystar seems to be the best by far, but requires long fl scopes and can't get a whole disk view.
Old 17-01-2017, 11:02 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Astro,

Thanks for that. I enjoy learning new things and its always great to get
advice.

I have learnt a lot from everyone and need to choose within my new budget what to choose. Double stack lunt ls50 or push and wait for ls80 single?

Thanks,

Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro744 View Post

Old 18-01-2017, 07:44 AM
astro744

Hi Mel,

See discussion on Pressure Tuned vs Tilt Tuned at http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/47...r-tilt-tuning/

and http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/48...ssure-vs-tilt/

Not sure which is better although PT seems to get the nod with a few exceptions. I have TT and it works well for me but mine is Coronado with full size etalon (pre-Meade).

On double stacking note you can always add a second filter later albeit a some considerable cost but it seems this cost is already added if you buy DS up front. Note the LS60 was sold with a 50mm DS filter effectively reducing your 60mm single stack scope to 50mm when using DS. This option lowers the DS cost but now a full size 60mm DS filter is available.

Please clarify if you are considering 50mm DS scope vs 60mm SS scope or is it 50mm DS scope vs 80mm SS scope as your last two replies indicate. A big difference in cost between 50mm DS and 80mm SS but if this is your choice then I think aperture always wins and you can always add an internal DS module to the 80mm later (at some cost though). Lunt don't seem to have a separate 80mm separate filter.

What do you want to do with your solar 'scope?

Casual visual only with the occasional photo or video?
Frequent visual and photo study of the Sun?

If the former then the LS50 PT or TT, SS or DS will provide for many hours of enjoyment over many years provided it is looked after with care. If the latter then greater aperture will give greater resolving power and if you go SS initially you can always add a DS filter even years later.

I too highly recommend you look through a solar telescope if at all possible first even say a PST so you can see what the minimum aperture with broadest band pass will show and see if you like what you see.

Whatever you choose enjoy!

Quote:
Hi Astro,

Appreciate you sharing your experiences as it helps me make hopefully a more informed decision.

I guess now wondering if a ds will make a huge difference in the view or is it more dependant on the aperture or band pass?

I am now leaning towards a lunt LS60THa/B600C, as the b1200 is $600 more if i was to get it now.

Thanks,

Mel
Quote:
Just had a question regarding pressure tuning and whether its required? If I have an option, should I opt to buy a model with this? I am not too sure what it actually does?

Thanks,

Mel
Quote:
Hi Astro,

Thanks for explaining how the various tuning methods work.

It looks to me I may need to up the budget a bit.

Still deciding between double stack ls50 b600pt or single stack ls80. Would you still recommend a double stack?

Thanks,

Mel
Quote:
Hi Astro,

Thanks for that. I enjoy learning new things and its always great to get
advice.

I have learnt a lot from everyone and need to choose within my new budget what to choose. Double stack lunt ls50 or push and wait for ls80 single?

Thanks,

Mel