Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Benjamin (Ben)

Flats

Just wondering if I need to take full aperture flats on my 8" Newtonian or if I could just stop down the aperture (via the dust cover) and use my ed80 lightbox and expose longer until hitting the 50% mark on the histogram? Any issues I'm not aware of in doing this? Wouldn't get any effects from spider vains I guess (which might change something...)?
Old 17-02-2017, 12:42 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

At the very least, I think you'll find that flats taken with an aperture stop won't correct for vignetting correctly.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 17-02-2017, 02:20 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

My goal is to avoid trying to make a light box, which with my skills, would be a disaster. I'm often setting up and packing down in darkness or near darkness so working out how else to get flats? My laptop screen is a little too small.
Old 17-02-2017, 02:34 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
At the very least, I think you'll find that flats taken with an aperture stop won't correct for vignetting correctly.
Thanks for this as I wasn't really sure where the vignetting would come from in a Newtonian. I had assumed it would be more at the camera end. Cheers :-)
Old 17-02-2017, 03:03 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
My goal is to avoid trying to make a light box, which with my skills, would be a disaster. I'm often setting up and packing down in darkness or near darkness so working out how else to get flats? My laptop screen is a little too small.
An EL panel is an option. I have one from http://www.gerdneumann.net that I used to use to take flats for my 300mm astrograph.

These days I mostly use dawn and dusk flats. They seem to do a better job of calibration and I can take them when the scope is idle. Having software to automate the process (ACP in my case) certainly helps though...
Old 17-02-2017, 08:59 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

It seems elec2go do an A3 EL panel kit that might do the job. Thinking of just sandwiching the panel between some sheets of corflute, with a whole for the aperture of the scope on the luminous side (a flat lightbox that should stay on the scope). I'm thinking I won't need some kind of light diffusing panel, but guess I could overly that if required? Thanks for all the advice :-)
Old 17-02-2017, 09:54 PM
StuTodd

Or use the sky for "twilight" flats...free and less messy..
Old 17-02-2017, 10:20 PM
LightningNZ (Cam)

Do you have a 22"+monitor around? That's what I use. I just set it to white and adjust my exposure accordingly. I move the scope around to avoid any fixed pattern effects from the screen.
Old 18-02-2017, 12:26 AM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Point it at a white dimly lit wall inside with a white t-shirt stretched over the top Ben. Even better, white T-shirt and dawn or dusk flats (even no T-shift if the sky is dark enough, but you'll have to avoid bright stars.
Old 18-02-2017, 02:11 AM
Benjamin (Ben)

No 22" screens sadly, and mostly I felt it better to take flats (at least with my ed80) post imaging so all dust bunnies are accounted for and focus and camera orientation are correct. I do this with a lightbox while I pack down other visual equipment. Quite often I can't get out until it's dark, thus missing that wonderful twilight period. In anticipation of using my 8" Newt for imaging I see much the same situation arising. However if I could establish a rough focus and rough camera orientation would this be enough to get good flats at twilight or is more exactitude required? My setup is non-permanent.
Old 18-02-2017, 06:06 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
However if I could establish a rough focus and rough camera orientation would this be enough to get good flats at twilight or is more exactitude required? My setup is non-permanent.
Works well enough for me.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 18-02-2017, 06:17 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Works well enough for me.

Cheers,
Rick.
Great. When the option is available I'll give the twilight flats a crack. Love your images too Rick. Astounding.
Old 18-02-2017, 06:56 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

This also works fine.

Put a white cloth in front of the objective, tightly (i.e. without wrinkles or folds) over it and point at a white wall and focus the scope the same as you were taking astrophotos. Take the pictures using the metering plus two stops.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1319.JPG)
152.8 KB9 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1321.jpg)
205.6 KB9 views