Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Kunama

Could anyone recommend an astronomy forum where the main topics are not politics, race, religion....
Old 01-02-2017, 07:15 PM
Nath2099

Interesting that you didn't recognise Guilliani's interview. I have no doubt that Trump would have included any predominantely Muslim country could he have. Maybe he has business interests in India, didn't want to piss them off?

"Judging by the general population, probably about a quarter, which still has them up the top of the list."
Well that's just nonsense, unless I've misunderstood. A quarter of Indians entering the US are refugees?
Old 01-02-2017, 07:15 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Could anyone recommend an astronomy forum where the main topics are not politics, race, religion....

Old 01-02-2017, 07:16 PM
Nath2099

Quote:

This is one thread in thousands. For what it's worth, I agree. These threads should be deleted upon inception. But I guess the mod has better things to do.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. Have fun.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:07 PM
JA

Quote:
Found this little gem today while browsing the forum:

Please avoid topics about global warming, race, politics or religion. These can be very sensitive topics, and people are usually very polarised about these issues; it can be very easy to take things the wrong way, creating arguments. Threads about these topics often end badly - usually being locked, with posts being deleted, or with people being upset.
Threads about these topics may be locked or deleted, especially if they are intended to simply incite a reaction or cause arguments.

Does anyone know what is meant by it?
Oh you are SO........ right Kunama (BTW Hi). I had forgotten about global warming ...., but it is certainly up there with the major divisives.

Best
JA
Old 01-02-2017, 08:17 PM
trent_julie

Quote:
Old 01-02-2017, 09:54 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath2099 View Post
"Judging by the general population, probably about a quarter, which still has them up the top of the list."
Well that's just nonsense, unless I've misunderstood. A quarter of Indians entering the US are refugees?
As I specifically pointed out, and that the referenced publication stated, the figure is a total one, not refugee only.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:08 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Yup, Astromart
Old 01-02-2017, 10:59 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath2099 View Post
This is one thread in thousands. For what it's worth, I agree. These threads should be deleted upon inception. But I guess the mod has better things to do.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. Have fun.
I should think you are done, - your posts occupy about 25% of the thread. You must be worn out
Old 01-02-2017, 11:32 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
To that lot add anything Takahashi and Televue eyepieces... which should be banned as religious debates

And speaking of religions it's ironic that Questar barely rates a mention on IIS...
Old 02-02-2017, 01:18 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:

No one forces you to be involved with said threads.
Cheers
Old 02-02-2017, 07:14 AM
Nath2099

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
I should think you are done, - your posts occupy about 25% of the thread. You must be worn out
Well that's not true. I made a point of not getting involved till about page 5, when the left started to be blamed for all the ill in the world*, when the left haven't been in charge anywhere in the world (of significance). People calling the Democrats, or Labor for that matter left, is simply ridiculous. Both are parties of the establishment, Liberal-lite, if you will.

I'll also just add that people scream blue murder at someone suggesting Trump should be assassinated, yet last week the exact same people were baying for the blood and suggesting the termination of that bloke in Melbourne. Keeping in mind that just last night Trump approved the operation that lead to the extermination of 14 innocent civilians in Yemen, what's the difference?

* And I was sufficiently bored at work...
Old 02-02-2017, 01:06 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi NathCalling for harse punishment for a murderous crime is a little different to operations of war.
However you make a fair point.
You respond for being called out and that is also reasonable.
Still we have not moved to capital punishment and so we can condemn that thinking assasination is good.
How can you think that a murderer killing a elected public official is a reasonable solution?
You really need to address such bad thinking it is simply wrong and offering another wrong in or to support is misguided.
Can you remember the horror when JFK was assassinated. Not around then? It was horrible.
These things take place in public, in front of everyone, think of the kids.
Wrong wrong wrong.
The game has been played and won.
The non stop grizzling by the losers is tiresome and non productive.
Alex
Old 02-02-2017, 01:23 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Winning an election, (especially when only rather marginally) does not in any way and nor should it, prevent anyone from protesting, making their views heard or taking any lawful action against any decisions or policies, made or implemented afterwards by the victor/s. In fact, many people would have voted for Trump on perhaps a singular issue and may well not be happy now or in the near future with how things are being dealt with outside that singular issue...and yes, these same people also have the right to protest against those dealings and decisions too.

I say keep going hard with the protests and use any lawful peaceful means available to help your disagreement with what is happening get heard!

Not unreasonable

Mike
Old 02-02-2017, 01:34 PM
Nath2099

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
How can you think that a murderer killing a elected public official is a reasonable solution?
I never said it was. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of baying for one murderers blood, then complaining how gross you think it is that a member states that another murderer, albeit elected, should be assassinated.

Quote:
Alex
Yeah right. I'll stop complaining just like the right stopped complaining the moment Obama got elected. We live in a democracy. I have every right to complain, and will continue to do so for as long as it takes to be rid of that awful excuse for a human being. No-one is holding a gun to your head making you read it. If you don't like it, skip past the thread.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:38 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Hi Alex,

Quote:
Alex
I'm enjoying your posts, but my definition of "game" clearly isn't the same as yours. Games replace actual problems and challenges, and participation and being affected by the outcome are optional.

This is very different.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:43 PM
Nath2099

"You really need to address such bad thinking it is simply wrong and offering another wrong in or to support is misguided."

But offering the solution of murder for a murderer is somehow not misguided?
Old 02-02-2017, 01:59 PM
casstony

Speaking of games, the multinational corporations have been winning the big game for decades now and white-anting our economic foundations in the process. The election of people like Thump is a symptom of that, but I suspect people are simply thrashing around looking for something different rather than becoming aware of how we've all been scammed.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:09 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Nath

I took the time to understand your proposition.
I made acknowledgement that you made a fair point.
You don't have to stop complaining because I think it is mere grizzling and tiresome.
I am presenting my views that is not that big a deal.

If you want to complain ood for you I just think mere complaining is unproductive...my opinion which I am happy to hold and know this my only complaint with your opinion is that you seemed think assassination is ok somehow ...if you don't think assassination is OK great.

Certainly No-one is holding a gun to my head making me read this thread I am here however because I enjoy reading what others think and presenting my views.
I don't think there is a problem.
I am not arguing with you or anyone why get upset?
Alex
Old 02-02-2017, 02:22 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Hi Alex,

I'm enjoying your posts, but my definition of "game" clearly isn't the same as yours. Games replace actual problems and challenges, and participation and being affected by the outcome are optional.

This is very different.
I suppose I could take time to chop things up and apply specific meaningful terms to each aspect but my intent was to stand off and comment on what I distill as the facts.
History will be less emotive than posters on this matter.

The world is worried and that worry won't go away until things settle down.
Some think he has to go maybe but the law will see that happen or not...meantime negativity can effect the markets which reflects on your super fund or your job etc...what ever happens it is best to remain within the law and keep things smooth.
Alex