Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2017, 02:08 PM
Sol-Skysailor (Sol)

Hi Craig OP. Since you ask…. (you can read it one item a day if your preference is: short.)

Help rephrase for better kindlier fact-based-er wording please….

I think we must learn not to judge a person untried (and with care even if tried, because systems have flaws).

But to review DT consequences and determine our actions, I’d offer as points for thoughts, not as statements or anything to fight each other about:
  1. First the basis: It appears: DT actions likely increase…. conflicts, selfishness, violation of human rights, damages to Earth, anarchy, weapons, degrading-of-non-male, xenophobia, hate-crimes, betting :-)
    True/False/Don’t-Know?

In working out consequences I’d say
    a) Watch thoughts of ‘hate crimes don’t matter because it’s not us it’s not our child that was killed and as in Huck Finn ‘no, nobody hurt, only a n----r dead and…’, or ‘10^6 killed don’t matter as it saves 10^3 of us worthier beings’;
    b) Danger in readily believing or disbelieving news items-selected by others and by self ! Danger in looking for or acting on the sensation.
    c) Take part, calmly, even here in astronomy because everything we do has a social component and social consequences… positively if we make it so.

2. DT is a MIRROR, the aperture-fever size of? (area of the country?, expressed as inch-dia.?)
    It shows up the likes, the supporters, and the bits in us!!
    If we say, kill the b-----d, pop him off, what does that SAY about ourselves?

* If we here call each other names or hate-insult-putdown each other or a nation/race/gender/group, instead of cordially discuss the TOPIC and SOLUTIONs, what does it say about ourselves. It’s a fractal thing.

History taught: why blame just Hitler, a product of his society. Our human society.

3. DT is a mirror, it shows that an important part of the ‘democratic’ process has a major flaw. A country elected…. this? (How to fix the process is a separate topic.)

Let’s bend collective minds and energy on worthy causes, HOW, instead of so much resource on verbal and physical wars.

4. DT is a mirror. It shows us up globally……. WHY do we think that ONE person and ONE country is THE leader with so much power?? We are brainwashed, sheep-like and forever in a hierarchy? USA is just one in –--how many--- countries. Why do the rest worry and tremble in fear (or in hope of gains)? Why ask about which, ONE, alternative leader nation?
    Why not ask and act, how… do we work co-operatively.

5. DT apparently/reportedly-selfish–me-first-greatness-stuff-you-lot nationalism may wake the world up to think (may have happened, ‘we’ don’t know, we only read English! (think about this)),
    hey it is possible for all just to stop trading or having anything to do with the US;

and the ‘how many’-minus-1 countries can easily supply each other.
    Just DON’T slam and abuse and become DTs till ‘how many’ - ‘how many’= ?
~~~~ intermissio ~~~~

Last edited by Sol-Skysailor; 05-02-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:10 PM
Sol-Skysailor (Sol)

~~~~ resumere or was it back again ~~~~
(Huck Finn, oh kindred sperit)
  1. 6) DT could serve to make a sad world laugh. Would it not make a historical WORLD JOKE if all nations refuse visas to ALL Americans for 90 days and put up 20% US-goods tax…? And suspect all of them as potential terrorists, born and live among legal weapons? Just so the collective have a taste what that’s like. Actually, could wall all bodies, products and communication in, seal the damaging cells in IN QUARANTINE.

True/false/Don’t-Know…. that the US did, = has already done = has committed, this to nations….. (just…. uh…. in case…. any say they deserve it, read up about bullies and domestic violence.)

and see 1)a. Any difficulties, replace n----r with youself.

(Good Americans all Americans, we don’t blame you, just an illustration. But Good Lord! I’ve feared for you (and your look-alike-as-stereotyped) away from homeland or even at home if any reprisals by/for those who are persecuted…

then a war of you-started-it-no-I-didn’t-you-did-no-I-didn’t-you-did-who-did-they-did.)

2. 7) DT illustrates: maybe? the worst ‘signs/symptoms?’ in a…. what, human? nation? Well, recognising them, how about let’s NOT go that way.
    (Spooky…questions…. our nation-or-fraction-thereof is or tries to be DT’s ally? for a bit of a feed? or into cleansing-based-on-what too?)

3. 8) Questions, rephrase for better kindlier fact-based-er wording please….The DT-situation can teach the U.S., the country and ‘us’, some NEEDED lessons? It has been loud about human rights, created equal, despot, oppression,... Question…Is it not now known, shown further by the elected as the best, for excesses, rhetorics, violence, tortures, racism, bigotry, female-flesh-value, selfishness, greed…. True/False/Don’t-Know: It has been condemning other nations and loudly glorifying itself (schooling and media) so, accordingly, it has been growing citizens, now a large proportion, that manifest as what…. a narcissistic bully, in question?

(No use hacking at me, that ain’t gunna solve world ills. Rephrase for better; that could.)

4. 9) DT is USEFUL as a loud warning, how fast and how far the communication-means and the destructive elements can destroy. (But through communication-means we can build!!) The world may be wise enough, but not quite wise enough.

betta getta outa he-ar. there’s them elements…. that’ll show up. It’s a fractal thing

Last edited by Sol-Skysailor; 02-02-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:15 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Nath
Quote:
Are you serious?
Absolutely.
Lots more people have been hurt by people with pens.
Why do you think they are currently arking up?????

Andrew
Old 01-02-2017, 02:29 PM
Nath2099

It's not the left who screwed over middle America with their pens and corruption, it's the neo-cons and their trickle down economics, starting with Reagan.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:31 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Lets not forget Trump won and we know if the rules were different he would not have won... but he won within the rules.
He beat the professionals at their own game no one likes that who has lost to a outside chance.
He presented as if he was actually listening to the concerns of people, without judgement upon them being too stupid to understand that it is efficient that their jobs go overseas.
He recogniced the concern many have for border security.
He worked to deal with frightened folks concern which although critics write off as deluded perceptions are nevertheless real for folk who hold the various fears and concerns Trump sort to address.
Clearly many liked that he seemed to understand.
They must have, as coming in as a rank outsider he beat both parties.. his first then the Dems.
I see no reason to hate the man for his "huge" achievement.
My concern is that his opposition firstly will not accept the game was played and he won but moreover their opposition is hate driven... sure this may be wrong or that may be wrong but can these issues not be dealt with without such hate.
It is a mistake to let emotion guide your views.

He won that should be the end of the story.
In four years time the game is played again and one can only wonder how an opposition who wont accept the outcome and the implications that such an outcome hints they were doing something very wrong to have lost, just how they can focus on winning the next game.
Has anyone in opposition asked how it came to pass that a political nobody beat both paries. Or are they just going to blame their loss upon the stupidy of the rules, the electorate or some foreign power hacking whatever.
I visit another site, supposedly a science site but you can post on politics and religion.. So many Trump threads it is tiresome and the inability to move on way past unfortunate.
But to those consumed with hate.... hate is a quality enjoyed by a loser that does no good whatsoever and rarely helps when dealing with problems.
Alex
Well said Alex ...
Old 01-02-2017, 02:40 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Donald seems to be strongly against abortions. This will create a huge divide within both the US and between the US and most of the "Western" world when he follows through on this.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:12 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Interesting to see that posted given it seems to have come out that he pretty well had to be talked out of abortion of what turned out to be his first child (I think it was the first child, apparently from yet another interview transcript)

And seeing the direction of this thread (Exactly the direction to be expected) Perhaps a good time to insert a quote I recently heard on the radio (Unfortunately I don't recall who it was or I would attribute it. "People have a habit of labouring under the misapprehension that insult is a good substitute for argument" I would add to that that people also commonly labour under the misapprehension that insult is a good amplifier of argument.

All you need to do is mention "Leftist" or "Rightist" or any of the stronger versions of the terms and your argument has fallen on it's face for me. If you need to preface your argument with reference to your perception of your perceived opponents political leanings then your argument can't be much good. To nick a phrase from a german pollie in response to Trump's recent complaint about Germans not buying enough American cars ("Build better cars") build yourself a better argument.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:20 PM
csb (Craig)

Sol, I don't understand your post.

I think Trump has potential to cause global upheaval because of the USA's position in the world.

Note I said potential. He may also turn out to be just annoying such as a dictator in a small country or may lose the presidency early.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:24 PM
Kunama

Found this little gem today while browsing the forum:

Please avoid topics about global warming, race, politics or religion. These can be very sensitive topics, and people are usually very polarised about these issues; it can be very easy to take things the wrong way, creating arguments. Threads about these topics often end badly - usually being locked, with posts being deleted, or with people being upset.
Threads about these topics may be locked or deleted, especially if they are intended to simply incite a reaction or cause arguments.

Does anyone know what is meant by it?
Old 01-02-2017, 05:33 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Quote:
Its obviously a right, left or "third way" mechanism to prevent the propagation of propaganda or fake truth

Andrew Left right out
Old 01-02-2017, 05:34 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Some here need to ' kiss and makeup '
Old 01-02-2017, 06:05 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Some here need to ' kiss and makeup '
Not until you regrow your beard and moustache Baby Face
Old 01-02-2017, 06:07 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Found this little gem today while browsing the forum:

Please avoid topics about global warming, race, politics or religion. These can be very sensitive topics, and people are usually very polarised about these issues; it can be very easy to take things the wrong way, creating arguments. Threads about these topics often end badly - usually being locked, with posts being deleted, or with people being upset.
Threads about these topics may be locked or deleted, especially if they are intended to simply incite a reaction or cause arguments.

I may be terribly mistaken, but this memorandum of understanding did not seem to name Rom personally
Old 01-02-2017, 06:30 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Donald reminds me of Campbell Newman. Alas, I did not like him either, but that aside, Campbell and Donald made it almost compulsory for me to view the news each night so I was aware of the latest outrageous thing (in my judgement) that has been done.

Although there was a mighty swing against Campbell at the last election, the LNP only just lost, so there is yet hope for Donald at the next election. (Although my personal view is impeachment is more likely.)

One thing for sure, this threat has destroyed any illusions that I had that us amateurs are cut from the same cloth. We seem to be just as diverse as is the rest of society.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:37 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Not until you regrow your beard and moustache Baby Face
Old 01-02-2017, 06:51 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath2099 View Post
Do you think people are stupid?
Yes.
Quote:
They would be the largest ones from which Muslim's are entering the US, especially as refugees.
Wrong. India has more muslims than any of those countries, and is also roughly the same source of numbers as all of them put together.

https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-stat...ok/2015/table2

As for the 'pig', the implementation, yes. The policy, no.

Trump promised this kind of thing prior to being elected, and he is following through.

Being granted entry into a country is a privelige, not a right. Though in this age of entitlement, that this should be ignored is not surprising.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:55 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
Donald seems to be strongly against abortions. This will create a huge divide within both the US and between the US and most of the "Western" world when he follows through on this.
This is something he is getting completely wrong.
Nobody should ever be telling parents that this is not an option. Put yourself in the shoes of a parent who even has to consider this, and you will know that nobody outside of that relationship has any right to force them into any decision.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:56 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Well said Alex ...
Good on you too Alex-Very well said and end of story.
bigjoe.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Nath2099

And how many of those Indians are Muslim refugees?

I've no idea what pig you refer to.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:08 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
I've no idea what pig you refer to.
Quote:
Keep layering on the lipstick, it's still a pig.

Quote:
And how many of those Indians are Muslim refugees?
If you follow the link I posted, you'll see that it refers to the total, not refugee specific. Which actually doesn't matter, as the policy covers both.

Judging by the general population, probably about a quarter, which still has them up the top of the list.