Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2017, 12:50 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

While folk gather the red herrings the big fish will not be caught.
It seems so many "small" issues are under focus and although important in one sence are there no issues of greater importance to be talked about.
While all are dealing with trivia the big questions are not even being asked.
Why are issues like debt, business direction, unemployment etc not getting headlines.
Trump throws out some small issue and all focus upon it.
My comment.. We dont know about wire tapping as true or false but we do have various stastistics on debt unemployement interest rates housing defence etc etc... Let us address the big issues and not gorge on red herrings.
Alex
Old 06-03-2017, 12:55 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Trump talked about making America great again. Whats the plan? Tarrifs tax incentives?
The wall.. have they picked a colour.
What are the important issues and what is being done?
Alex
Old 06-03-2017, 12:56 PM
Sol-Skysailor (Sol)

Quote:
Meanwhile ..... last night in Sweden.
I'm not sure what was meant by that. And what conclusion the world might have drawn without facts.

If that referred to a 'riot' a few days after.... Do we know "WHO" the rioters were??? From news I only read 'IN MASKS' and 'released or no charge, no details'.
There was a reference to a suburb being labelled something like an immigrant suburb; would we draw conclusion that 'the immigrant' residents DID IT??

Take that dubious logic to riots at........(think of numerous other locations), did the RESIDENTS caused them?

In discussion here, asking what you think.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:59 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I said a few posts back we need to make a list of the good things he has done.
I dont think anyone got the message.
Such a list is more telling than a lift of failings...
Alex
Old 06-03-2017, 01:04 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

A tactic I used in law was to introduce trivial issues to redirect attention from what I was actually up to and question if Trump is playing a similar game.
Whilst the focus is upon the trivial he wins.
Alex
Old 06-03-2017, 01:05 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

He would be very happy about the riots being front page rather than say debt or business direction.
Alex
Old 06-03-2017, 01:11 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol-Skysailor View Post
I'm not sure what was meant by that.
Just another Trump claim which was not backed up by evidence. I heard nothing about a riot. I did hear, however, that moose can be very nasty and Trump was about to decree a moose travel ban .
Old 06-03-2017, 01:29 PM
Sol-Skysailor (Sol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
Just another Trump claim which was not backed up by evidence. I heard nothing about a riot. I did hear, however, that moose can be very nasty and Trump was about to decree a moose travel ban .
Thanks for clarification. Yes, one great thing was the comical things that followed the false claim.... the IKEA and moose posts had me in stitches. But the consequence including the riot taint yet again blamed on a labelled people (and some gave credit to Trump for being right) had me very sad.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:50 PM
Orionskies (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I dont think anyone got the message.
Alex

Republicans now hold the Presidency, the House and the Senate thanks to Trump... I guess that's good if your a Republican.

We should expect Trump to be the Can Do President.... No excuses now.!
Old 06-03-2017, 03:08 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionskies View Post
Republicans now hold the Presidency, the House and the Senate thanks to Trump... I guess that's good if your a Republican.

We should expect Trump to be the Can Do President.... No excuses now.!
Exactly.
Alex
Old 06-03-2017, 03:18 PM
csb (Craig)

Quote:
You are correct Alex. What are the good things being done?

That is where the news media can have a constructive impact.

Trump has been saying the news media are dishonest AND in polls about who people trust, news corporations/journalists usually have a low ranking.

So if news media give space for the good things Trump's administration accomplishes as well as current negative actions, then this will help negate Trump's accusation of being dishonest.

Quote:
Alex
I don't think your statement is correct. This is what happens in North Korea. Also similar with Marcos (former President of Phillipines) - he spent lots of resources in his hometown area and other areas to gain support and strength for his presidency.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:00 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Craig
I think a list at the end of term may show little achievement. While all focus on what he does wrong we miss that results are not being achieved.. It is the lack of results that will have his supports questioning their selection. But whilst liberals bag him supporters will rally a d forget the promises he made go unfullfilled.
Focus on lack of achievement will cause supports to question arguing about freedom of the press for example wont focus attention on performance and doing (or not) what he promised.
I dont care if he runs around in shorts if he can boast a list of good deeds a d meaningful achievement. But at the moment folk just focus on the shorts. Forget the shorts what goal has been achieved, what problem was overcome... Nothing? His side wont support a nothing result whereas they will defend him on his misdirections.
At the moment folk cant get past the misdirection.
Imagine if one of the newspapers published a list of bills presented each month it would not take long to focus attention on not getting things done.

Alex
Old 06-03-2017, 05:35 PM
csb (Craig)

Thanks Alex, that was needed clarifying.

However, I don't think this type of reporting, ie giving balanced facts & views, is how news media operate anymore.

Also anyone, not just news media, will focus on his negative words & actions due to the extremeness of his words & actions and also his position as President of the USA. The emotional & reactionary nature of Trump's leadership is a cause for great concern.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Craig, I think you are correct.
I visit a site with a membership with many from the USA. At the moment there are many threads running on Trump with one questioning his sanity. They are not letting up which is a concern. It is past sour grapes.
Where will it all end?
Alex
Old 06-03-2017, 06:37 PM
csb (Craig)

I suppose ultimately, the hoped for end is that the world will not be worse off because of President Trump.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:56 PM
Sol-Skysailor (Sol)

Quote:
While all are dealing with trivia the big questions are not even being asked.
Why are issues like debt, business direction, unemployment etc not getting headlines.
Trump throws out some small issue and all focus upon it.
To me as well as apparently a very large number of people who can differentiate small and big fishes too, the BIG issues NOT_TRIVIA are listed at the end.

From that viewpoint, smaller issues are: debt, business direction, unemployment, interest rates, housing, etc etc etc.

IMHO, peace means fix the BIG issues (not hard…. lessen self-centredness and acquiring, increase kindness, improve understanding), then smaller issues become tiny.

List of BIG issues
These all have immediate and lasting consequences, locally and widely. Not ‘just ideals’.

Peace.

Value and basis of rights
(human, fair, equal,…. terms that sometimes get struck as PC)
Demeaning, despising, or fear of:
half of the world (female), a very large proportion (so termed from one standpoint ‘persons of color’), a large proportion (labelled by ‘other’ religion or clothing), a small proportion of people seeking safety (refugees), a small proportion born or who have become disabled, a small proportion who choose their personal choices.
Safety and daily-life experiences of the above
(=the majority!), we are all part of the same human family, with verbal and physical violence thrown around.
Repercussions by followers and opportunists.
News abound, T/F? A BIG and local (small? not here?) example, of what bully/superior/power mentality means, is ‘domestic violence has no colour; it is said to be, so far, 1 in how many? in Australia.
The international insults and extreme nationalism
that predictably create reprisal or warring tension. Couple this with possible disregard or non cooperation of joint efforts like the UN.
Value and basis of scientific methods including in regards to resources and the environment.

Freedom….yes, of rational and respectful speech, of movement, of personal choices;
yes within the limits of natural events and random probability but we can go towards the better.
Value and basis of decency, consideration, and kindness.

Last edited by Sol-Skysailor; 06-03-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:20 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Trump and his administration and appointed hierarchy, are very clearly completely deluded ignoramuses with no idea of morality, science, rule of law, right from wrong or even just common human decency.... and any numbskull American who voted for him/them is a complete idiot and F-Wit...

Aaaand...yep, that's about it, pretty simple and clear, lets hope the damage is minimised soon

Mike
Old 11-03-2017, 09:49 AM
casstony

I agree with your assessment of Trump Mike, but the vote is a bit more complicated. I suspect there was a large element of protest vote from Americans disadvantaged by decades of corruption of the financial system by the Wall St bankers. Of course there are the usual selfish, redneck, numbskull voters as well.

That financial corruption has spread around the world distorting our system as well. Note that our bankers said house prices are just fine at the parliamentary enquiry.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:03 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Well said Peter .

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratosthenes View Post
Trump has targeted a very specific group of countries - ie the states that Obama has bombed or in the case of Iran sanctioned.

Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen

Remember, Bush primarily opened up 2 major war fronts when he was president - Obama increased the number of wars to 7

Australia did however benefit from a Trump presidential victory when the US was withdrawn from the TPP - essentially trashing this corrupt corporate/privatisation investor protection scam that pretended to be concerned about free trade.
Old 16-03-2017, 11:07 AM
Orionskies (Julian)

Travel Ban blocked by U. S judge again. ....Come on Donald give it one more try