Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2017, 04:11 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Deadly serious my R's. At best, this will do absolutely nothing to change the behaviour of any of the other nuclearly armed psychopaths, whether existing or soon-to-be. At worst, well...
If you want to be the top dog you believe yourself to be you don't back down.
Not often in the pub you have to worry but when it comes to other world leaders who may be just as determined things may not end well.
I don't particularly like Turnbull but I think he has the ability to back down. Putin maybe not.
It gets to be a man thing.
So silly but its there.
That's the worry.
And that type have a do or die attitude.
I have had it that's why I fear world leaders I see with the condition.
The only way I could lose was if I was killed in the battle I would win or die even over trivia and with no audience so how dangerous will it be if Putin and Trump disagree.
For each losing is not an option.
Alex
Old 08-02-2017, 04:45 PM
casstony

For people who keep up with Trump's shenanigans the US comedy show 'Saturday Night Live' has been making fun of the gang, with Alec Baldwin playing Trump. I got a kick out of this sketch about press secretary Spicer: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li.../3465162?snl=1

Baldwin as Trump: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li.../3465157?snl=1

Perhaps the funniest aspect is that Trump reportedly gets upset by the sketches.

Last edited by casstony; 08-02-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:44 PM
Orionskies (Julian)

I have had several close encounters with narcissists and the occasionally pyschopath and every time it never ended well. These folk have trouble letting go and seem to relish on arguing and drama mainly fixated on themselves . A true narcissists can also be difficult to spot and is an expert at failing to take responsibility for there actions.
From a distance it appears Trump has all of the required traits. He is in this game to win. I can't imagine he would bow out or step aside gracefully if he was compelled to do so. He will fight to the bitter end.

Cheers Julian
Old 09-02-2017, 08:16 AM
Neutronstar (T)

Thank goodness Trump got in, the alternative that was presented would have been so much worse. I am surprised that so many sheeple are sucked in by the main stream news headlines and have so little idea of what is going on. The sheeple would be baaaing loud if the other candidate were in. Trumps predecessor was a waste of time.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:33 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutronstar View Post
{SNIP}I am surprised that so many sheeple are sucked in by the main stream news headlines and have so little idea of what is going on. The sheeple would be baaaing loud if the other candidate were in. Trumps predecessor was a waste of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
{SNIP} "People have a habit of labouring under the misapprehension that insult is a good substitute for argument" {SNIP}

Not much more to say.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:36 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
{SNIP} "People have a habit of labouring under the misapprehension that insult is a good substitute for argument" {SNIP}
Not much more to say.
This is what Trump and trumpism is all about.... new form of neofascism?
Old 09-02-2017, 09:08 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Funny enough, my own quote was the first thing that came to mind for the "Performance" of our PM in parliament yesterday. Whatever Shorten said to precipitate it (Which I suspect could be as innocuous as "Good morning" ) was not really reported so I can't comment on if Bill deserves to have the same accusation leveled at him.

At least when Keating trowled on the insults they were usually actually funny and delivered deadpan. Rather than filled with as much bile as could be mustered and delivered with bulging veins and a purple face.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:25 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
This is what Trump and trumpism is all about.... new form of neofascism?
Neoneofascism... Trumpsies?

Alex
Old 09-02-2017, 09:34 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Funny enough, my own quote was the first thing that came to mind for the "Performance" of our PM in parliament yesterday. Whatever Shorten said to precipitate it (Which I suspect could be as innocuous as "Good morning" ) was not really reported so I can't comment on if Bill deserves to have the same accusation leveled at him.

At least when Keating trowled on the insults they were usually actually funny and delivered deadpan. Rather than filled with as much bile as could be mustered and delivered with bulging veins and a purple face.
With nary a word of caution from the speaker till the frothing at the mouth Turnbull had finished.
What a an hypocrite Turnbull is., and gutless too boot.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:51 AM
casstony

Quote:
Thank goodness Trump got in, the alternative that was presented would have been so much worse. I am surprised that so many sheeple are sucked in by the main stream news headlines and have so little idea of what is going on. The sheeple would be baaaing loud if the other candidate were in. Trumps predecessor was a waste of time.
Hi Tim, it can be very difficult to figure out the motives of various politicians. Once one gains some knowledge of the business cycle, the economy and how our financial system works and become aware of who controls it all, it becomes more clear what sort of leader Trump will be. His friends and associates are some of the architects of the 2008 financial crisis, a crisis which is still with us today but camouflaged by very high levels of debt.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:17 AM
sjastro

Quote:
Are you trying to provide a compelling argument that Trump appeals to the lowest common denominator?
Old 09-02-2017, 10:23 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I like to see a positive in all of this.
The fact folk can protest, satirize and complain without (as yet) being arrested for treason must say something for democracy and free speech...or are Trumps lawyers preparing countless defamation cases to make "them" pay.
Alex
Old 09-02-2017, 10:28 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjastro View Post
Are you trying to provide a compelling argument that Trump appeals to the lowest common denominator?
Is there any argument to suggest he did/ does otherwise.
He appealed to the fear of outsiders, fear of jobs going os and the fear that USA was less than great.

But that's politics.

Alex
Old 09-02-2017, 10:36 AM
Neutronstar (T)

Quote:
No.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:47 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
... But that's politics.

Alex
Alex, this is politics that starts with demagoguery and could end as (neo)fascism. Plain and simple.
This process was observed to happen many times in the (distant and not too distant) past.... No democracy (even by it's definition) is immune to that.

Last edited by bojan; 09-02-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:12 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Alex, this is politics that starts with demagoguery and could end as (neo)fascism. Plain and simple.
I do not disagree.
I worry and in spite of my comments that we must remain positive can see how things can go very wrong.
As I said earlier retire buy lots of rice and spend spare cash on security...just in case.And remember there is room to hide at my place and dark sky if zombies start walking the streets and you will be welcome.
We could build a fall out shelter together.
Alex
Old 09-02-2017, 11:16 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
.....And remember there is room to hide at my place and dark sky if zombies start walking the streets and you will be welcome.
We could build a fall out shelter together.
Alex
Thank you for invitation (especially because of dark sky )
Same applies from me
Old 09-02-2017, 11:30 AM
sjastro

Quote:
Is there any argument to suggest he did/ does otherwise.
He appealed to the fear of outsiders, fear of jobs going os and the fear that USA was less than great.

But that's politics.

Alex
Alex I was referring to the insulting nature of the post itself.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:38 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Alex I was referring to the insulting nature of the post itself.
Thanks Steven I don't seem to be thinking clearly lately.
Alex
Old 09-02-2017, 11:39 AM
sjastro

Quote:
No.
While I believe that answers should be short and to the point, this is not one of them.

Your non answer simply reinforces what I stated.