Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-07-2018, 03:13 PM
PeterSEllis (Peter)

Lagoon M8 through a Williams Optics IV Reducer

Hi Guys,
Back again, for those who might be interested, this is a shot of M8 was through my Esprit 150mm using a WILLIAM OPTICS Flattener 4 - 0.8X Reducer.
When you enlarge the shot up, there is slight elongation of the stars in the very corners of the shot, but the rest are fine. It is absolutely crucial to get that back focus distance correct, if it is not correct, the stars are god dam awful. It took a little bit of trial and error to nail the correct back focus distance.
A measurement and calculation using Astrometry, indicates a reduction on my system by x0.821. If there is any interest, I will put up a shot through a Riccardi triplet Apo Reducer x0.75, when it finally arrives.
3.5 Hours exposure (ASI071 pro) with the Moon shining like a beacon from hell, and the wind ranging from 10KmH to 13KmH, with the gusts being about double that. "Not ideal conditions", we live with what we get.

Cheers
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Lagoon Nebula M8 22072018.jpg)
224.5 KB87 views
Old 24-07-2018, 08:23 PM
Stevec35 (Steve)

IMHO that's nicely captured and well processed Peter

Steve
Old 24-07-2018, 08:29 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

The elongation looks to be pretty slight! I would be interested to see how the 0.75x reducer goes though. I imagine it may be optically superior.
Old 24-07-2018, 11:29 PM
PeterSEllis (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
The elongation looks to be pretty slight! I would be interested to see how the 0.75x reducer goes though. I imagine it may be optically superior.
Hi Colin,
The Riccardi Reducers are on special at the moment for 332EUR, what they don't tell you is that it pushes out to 500EUR, buy the time you purchase all the adapters to couple the reducer to the camera and telescope. I'm hoping for some good results, but I have been disappointed many times before, we shall see.
When it arrives I will do a shot through it and post it on Iceinspace, with a few comments.

Cheers
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec35 View Post
IMHO that's nicely captured and well processed Peter

Steve
Thanks Steve for you comments. It came out reasonably well given the weather conditions and the Moon. My main purpose that night was to try out the WO Reducer, which I have had gathering dust for a couple of years. When I first purchase it on Iceinspace, I tried it, and the stars really looked awful, so I through it in the draw thinking one day I would get back to it, the day finally came. I'm glad I did test it again, its not half bad, "but", 150mm Esprit has spoilt me, I'm now used too pinpoint stars right to the edge of the field, there is no going backwards.

Cheers
Peter
Old 30-07-2018, 08:40 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Looks good, Peter. Will be interesting to see how the new reducer compares.
Old 30-07-2018, 10:04 AM
PeterSEllis (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Looks good, Peter. Will be interesting to see how the new reducer compares.
Thanks Rick for you comments. It has hit Melbourne from Germany, I'm hoping to have it in a couple of days, and better still the Moon is disappearing again.

Cheers
Peter
Old 30-07-2018, 10:18 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

That's a really good M8.
Old 30-07-2018, 07:51 PM
PeterSEllis (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
That's a really good M8.
Thanks Marc for your comments. I wasn't disappointed with the results from the WO Reducer, and the large star field around M8 certainly tests it.

Cheers
Peter