Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-03-2024, 01:31 PM
andyc (Andy)

Opportunistic 10min Horsie ride

An extremely casual 10mins on the Horsehead two nights ago. I set up in nice seeing, started an image on an LMC object juuust as the clouds rolled in... so I slewed away from the clouds and got this instead, before the clouds got everything. 5x2min hydrogen alpha, C14 at f/6, Atik 460EX, good seeing, but no calibration frames as I wasn't expecting anything worth processing! Processed with PixInsight, including RCAstro's BXT, NXT & SXT. Stars were decently small and round even before the rather impressive magic of BXT.

As an aside, I have recently tried and been very impressed by these RCAstro machine-learning tools - as a planetary imager I familiar with what good deconvolution can do to decent or even ordinary data, it can be extraordinary. Also just how much more potential resolution there perhaps is in deep-sky data (overlay a hi-res planet on your favourite nebula at the same scale and you'll see what I mean, even a fraction of that is a massive improvement!). The tools work well and make for a pleasing result - and as I hadn't fully got my head around the inner workings of deep-sky decon methods this has been a joy to play with as it is a lot easier to run. I think my slightly oversampled C14 data works rather well with the ML tools here. I have seen a couple of instances where the tools produce errors, such as a faint galaxy being turned into two stars (maybe showing for sure it's not "cheating"), but mostly the results are faithful to my data. I was initially a bit suspicious, but am now a convert to these tools, if carefully used.

Higher res link
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Horsehead_str_2_ac_iis.jpg)
164.5 KB35 views
Old 14-03-2024, 02:05 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Even a basic mono casual quicky image of the HH is great to view, such a recognisable shape

Looked at this through the 18" Dob back in mid Feb with no Moon around, with a mate (56 and 57 year old eyes) up at Eagleview, t'was great conditions, really transparent and we could both make out the full dark Horsehead shape, without averted vision or any filter, was very cool ...looked more like the black Rook chess piece to me though...

Mike