Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.67 average.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:20 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

For goodness sake!

I bought an item on eBay (international purchase) on 15th of March. The item still had not arrived by the deadline of 28th of April, so I started a dispute.

The seller had been really good, and was as stumped as I. Tracking on all the sites indicated it was still awaiting dispatch at the foreign post office. Being 1 month over due, the seller agreed to a refund, and I promised I would send the money back again if it ever came through. He sent the refund last night.

Today I got the item!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GRRRRRRR. Tree shaking! LOL.

Now I sent the money back again, losing a little in the worsened exchange rate, but thems the breaks.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Maybe Auspost has been holding it ransom!
Old 02-05-2017, 06:04 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Probably fell down the back of a desk or something in the seller's post office and sat there for a month.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:44 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
Probably fell down the back of a desk or something ...
A TOA 150? That would have made some noise
Old 03-05-2017, 10:37 AM
vaztr (Andrew)

Who would drop a TOA 150? Sacrilage!!!
Old 03-05-2017, 11:35 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Thankfully, it's not optical - just something for the wife.

Dropping a TOA - I believe the foot or ground that interferes with the decent will suffer more than the TOA. If you have never held a TOA, you don't know what I mean. I think the Japanese had a Russian designer on the TOA OTA - it's a damned tank!
Old 03-05-2017, 07:58 PM
daine042 (Daine)

Mate i feel your pain, after spending $300 US on a headlamp for caving it went from somewhere in Colorado to San Francisco in 2 days then to Sydney in another 2 and after it landed on the 3rd of April it was somehow lost untill it was finally delivered yesterday. The seller was great and offered a refund as the light was out of stock but I decided to wait it out
Old 13-05-2017, 11:40 AM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Seemingly, I am able to relate to this frustration Lewis
Old 13-05-2017, 01:05 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

HA! I bought an item from an iis member a week or so ago. He sent it with tracking to me and somehow it ended up back at HIS house because the auspost droid made a stupid mistake with the barcode putting in HIS address instead of mine lol. It had to be resent. I still think the OP should have been refunded for the ulcer it may have generated for him
Old 13-05-2017, 01:33 PM
Nebulous (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I bought an item on eBay (international purchase) on 15th of March. The item still had not arrived by the deadline of 28th of April, so I started a dispute.

Aaaarrrgh.... Waiting all that time would drive me nuts.... I admire your patience at waiting that long before triggering a dispute.

Please tell me that most items do arrive in reasonable time???

I'm currently awaiting my first ever trans-Australian shipment of an astronomical item purchased online and... well ... reading the horror stories is not proving to be good therapy....

Cheers,

Chris
Old 13-05-2017, 04:09 PM
Max Vondel (Peter)
Time Traveller

You people are all so impatient!
Old 17-05-2017, 10:26 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Vondel View Post
You people are all so impatient!
Yep.

I appreciate the eagerness for new toys to arrive. Solution, buy new toys every day so you are always getting deliveries and won't notice when something gets held up .

Seriously though just be patient. I shop 99% online for everything, from all over the globe. Sometimes items get held up for all sorts of mundane reasons. Never had anything go missing that cost more then $5 though and happy to buy from overseas more than local merchants, strangely stuff gets delivered quicker when from overseas instead of stuff ordered from Sydney or Melbourne. Can't just blame Australia Post, delays happen for all sorts of reasons, some dealers pack up orders and mark them off as shipped but all they did was put it in a box, printed/added the label and put it in a pile. Then at the end of the day/week they take the pile to post office or arrange single courier pickup to take all items at once. Tracking systems often rely on a person to enter data and its rarely efficient to do it for each item on the spot, often ticking off the delivery list at the end of their shift in one go. So dont stress it.

I'd only suggest to not order from a country actively engaged in war, this disrupts postal services. As do natural disasters. You can control local transport strikes or whatever that may delay delivery. ALL deliveries do attempt to be delivered even if damaged during shipping (eg truck gets in an accident, train gets derailed). hey, sh*t happens. If you're that concerned, pay extra and go buy it in person.

Don't assume the dealer or seller has ripped you off. You can usually pick the dodgy ones online to avoid buying from. So give it a few days or a week to allow for delivery to arrive (your order may pass through at least a dozen hands for even a simple "local" delivery, any/all can have a problem for any reason). a day or two delay is no cause for panic, but after a week just contact the dealer and ask if it got returned and ask if they can confirm (repeat) the delivery address for you. If they print or hand write the labels, in case the order got delivered to your neighbour instead, or maybe your local post office is holding it as they arent sure who/where to deliver to.

Ordering from overseas is safe, be patient and use common sense when deciding who to buy from. If you buy something that someone *might* consider dangerous then expect delays.
Old 18-05-2017, 09:34 AM
issdaol (Phil)

Quote:
Thankfully, it's not optical - just something for the wife.

Dropping a TOA - I believe the foot or ground that interferes with the decent will suffer more than the TOA. If you have never held a TOA, you don't know what I mean. I think the Japanese had a Russian designer on the TOA OTA - it's a damned tank!
Didn't you know ??? ......Thats what the T in TOA stands for ....TANK !!
Old 18-05-2017, 09:53 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

My whinge Phil was because it was sent EMS...1 month late is a little much to swallow for EMS...yes it missed the important present giving date by a mile. Still even awaiting PO response for postage refund...

As to countries at war, your suggestion would implicate NEVER buying ftom the USA :p
Old 18-05-2017, 02:47 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
As to countries at war, your suggestion would implicate NEVER buying ftom the USA :p
Yep, Chinese do it faster anyway and don't triple the true postage costs.
Old 18-05-2017, 05:33 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
Yep, Chinese do it faster anyway and don't triple the true postage costs.
Well in fact what the Chinese do is send your stuff for nothing because their firms are largely covered by some state sponsored arrangement they have, which ultimately bogs down our own postal system for which Aus Post, by international treaty, don't receive a cent.

So if you're wondering why we get poor service from Aus Post, that would be one very big reason among possible others.