Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Mike Gandy

Astroimaging

Hi all
Please bear with me as this is my first attempt at this.
I am having trouble with my astroimaging setup, I have a 200mm reflector, with an imagingsource colour camera. I have managed some lunar and planetary shots but when I add the 5X powermate I can't seem to focus properly and I seem to get enlarged blobs which I assume are magnified dust particles on the lens, if anyone could give me some advise I would be most grateful.

Regards
Mike.
Old 28-10-2008, 05:05 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Mike

With the lunar and planetary shots that did work out ok, did you use a barlow then? Can you post the results?

If there's dust on the chip, it'll appear as the same size in the image whether you use a 2x or a 5x barlow.

Can you post an image of what the results with the 5x look like? What are you trying to image? Have you tried it in daylight to ensure it can reach focus?

btw to IceInSpace!
Old 28-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Mike Gandy

Hi Mike thanks for your prompt reply, I only use a barlo for lunar shots, I have never had much luck with a barlo and planetary images. I have never been happy with the 5X powermate and assumed I was just pushing the equipment to far.I will take some terrestial shots on the weekend and post the results.
Regards
Mike.
Old 29-10-2008, 12:05 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

I successfully used a 5x powermate with a 200mm newtonian, however it can be tricky to get the exposure right...

with the 5x it can be a nightmare to focus... Do you have a DBK or a DFK color camera? the DBK does not have a built in UV/IR filter. Jupiter bleeds IR light all over the place. I found when I bought a UV/IR filter, my ability to reach accurate focus quickly was greatly improved...

I too have many dust spots on my DBK, I need to clean the chip... As Mike mentioned, if the blobs are the same size at prime focus as they are with a barlow or powermate, then they are on the chip. If they get larger when you add a barlow or powermate, then the dust is in your telescope on the mirrors...

Welcome to IIS
Old 31-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Mike Gandy

Alex
I have the DFK31AU03.AS colour camera. Iwill be doing some tests on the weekend to determine where the blobs are coming from as I would dearly love to get some size into my photos. I have used a Neximage and the Meade LPI, the DFK is far better and I am still in the early stages of imaging with it. I have recently fitted an Orion guide scope and guide camera and coupled to the HEQ5 I am looking forward to some late nights.
Regards
Mike