Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-10-2008, 01:52 PM
discovery (Joel)

Finally got my 12 inch dob

It arrived today! This thing is huge I am going to put it up against my 80mm and just see the difference. Can't wait till it gets dark, looks like it will be a clear night (crossing my fingers)
Old 20-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Whizgig (Eugene)
Galaxy Gazer

Cool! I'm still saving my penny's for mine, its hard to scab money from the wife so every cent I find goes in my stash that she doesn't know about. lol
But with mine I want it on an eq mount for tracking and Astrophotography.
Old 20-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Hi,
It’s a great feeling when you finally get it Joel, but wait till you first look through it...I just put in a post under “Dave’s 12” GSO Dobsonian from light polluted skies:” I’ve kind of done things back to front, I just ordered an AOE 80ED (f7) among other things. I’m hooked for life!

Please let us know how you go...Touch wood, I got the cursed cloud cover for a week when mine arrived.

Good luck
Dave
Old 20-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Dog Star (Phil)
I'm bloody serious

As an owner of one of these wee beasties myself, I know your"re in for some fine times ahead.
Congratulations and clear skies.
Old 20-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Congrats Joel. You are going to get some amazing views through your 12"er.

Looking forward to reports of your first light with your new scope.

Old 20-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Davekyn (David)

Thats Great!
I'll be looking up there too...whats the F-ratio on your 80mm and what brand? I'm kinda hoping that you still get a lot out of your 80 as well. But thats just because I ordered one for grab and go.

you got much light pollution? You should see the moon in those dobs...Fantastic...but you will have to get up early to catch it in the dark, or last I saw it in on twilight was 5:00am...M42 looks good to, but that was like 4am for me.

Cross my fingers too...cloud free tonight!
Dave
Old 21-10-2008, 02:43 AM
discovery (Joel)

took my 12'' for a test drive

She performed wonderfuly, had storm clouds brewing on the horizon this arvo boy did it rain, had to wait 'til about 1 am to take her out. I was in for one heck of a suprise once the optics cooled to ambient temperature I went star hopping for about an hour until I stumbled across the great orion nebula in all its glowing glory. After using my 80mm for the last few years I was not expecting the brightness of the nebula it almost blinded me, forget about the grey blurry smudge the 80mm delivers, my 12'' managed to showcase the orion nebula beautifuly framing that awsome greeny blue sea of colour (even in the medium level light pollution) espiceally through the 32mm wide angle.
I did chuck the orion sky glow filter into my 15mm but could'nt get enough of the wide angle eye piece.
I cannot wait 'till I can get a look a jupiter!

Oh well better get to bed got work tomorrow (though I rather stay up and get a look at the moon.)
Old 21-10-2008, 02:51 AM
discovery (Joel)

hey davekyn

The 80mm I have is a celestron nexstar not sure of the f-ratio though the focal length is 900mm. All in all it's not a bad scope but the only downfall with the nexstar is it requires power to run it. It put up good fight against the 12''er.(For a grab and go I'm looking at getting an orion st80 through Bintel)
Old 21-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Davekyn (David)

Sounds like the F-ration is twice that of the Dob, (F-11) to (F-5) therefore making it hard to compare as the not only does the 80mm have no where the app...but it's F-ration is designed more for Planetry rather than DSO. Does that make sense? I am probably telling you, what you already know, however it does not hurt to talk about these things as I need to learn.

Anyways, the next star must be pretty decent for what it does as I do beleive they are extremely popular....I've also heard the st80 talked about a lot...I do beleive its all been pretty good.

Orion sounds like a treat...I too, enjoyed veiwing that through my new Dob!!! The moon was up and pretty bright during my session at that time...I wonder if thats why I could not quite make out the colours you described...well that is what I am telling myself! (LOL)...anyways, The nebulosity was awesome to say the lease...I can't wait till I hit a dark site with my 12" scope.

Take it easy man, I'll check back to see if you record any more veiwing sessions!

Later Dave