Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-07-2017, 04:02 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

That's the way I look at it too Matt. Doesn't bother me a jot.
Old 26-07-2017, 04:39 PM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

Regional SA Optus Wireless Broadband 3-5 Mbps but dropouts and inconsistent..Optus/ NBN fixed wireless being installed tmora morn, NBN tower plain sight 1k away only dozen or so users so be interesting to see if it gets to stated 12Mbps...
Old 26-07-2017, 04:39 PM
Wavytone

Interesting.

Increases my suspicion that many might be better off not using NBN at all and using a wireless connection via their mobile phone, buy turning it on as a hotspot.

When it's our turn to be NBN'd I think I'll probably decline to sign up and instead go back to Telstra's mobile network. Cheaper and much better.
Old 26-07-2017, 05:03 PM
Astrophe (John)

I'm located in Wollongong NSW and my ISP is Dodo (NBN). These are my results using Telstra's speed tester:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 23382 kbps (2922.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4791 kbps (598.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 9 ms
Jitter: 0 ms
Packet Loss: -1%
26/07/2017, 5:00:46 pm
Old 26-07-2017, 06:39 PM
Exfso (Peter)

I am with Idiots Net. IINet and get reasonable speeds when it is connected, but it keeps dropping out, I am 150metres from the Node and in the last fortnight it has dropped out 50 times that I am aware of. You cannot get any sense out of IINet, so it looks like I am going to join the long list contacting TIO.
Old 26-07-2017, 07:12 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Interesting.

Increases my suspicion that many might be better off not using NBN at all and using a wireless connection via their mobile phone, buy turning it on as a hotspot.

When it's our turn to be NBN'd I think I'll probably decline to sign up and instead go back to Telstra's mobile network. Cheaper and much better.

This is what I do most of the time. Most of my interesting is done on my mobile where I average 45/20!!! Near 10x what I average on the home intent connection. The best I ever got was ~65/40 in Hawthorn one afternoon about three years ago.
Old 26-07-2017, 07:14 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post

This is what I do most of the time. Most of my interesting is done on my mobile where I average 45/20!!! Near 10x what I average on the home intent connection. The best I ever got was ~65/40 in Hawthorn one afternoon about three years ago.

Your auto-corrects are epic (to coin a modern wank phrase)
Old 26-07-2017, 07:47 PM
rrussell1962

16.4 mbps down 0.78 mbps up on ADSL2+ Can't think of a single reason to move over to the NBN white elephant.
Old 26-07-2017, 08:27 PM
Star Catcher (Ted Dobosz)

I'm one of the lucky ones. Never want to see the NBN my way. I'm on cable and at 8.30pm tonight I get 96 mbps and 1.75 upload. On good night I hit 115 mbps

Ted
Old 26-07-2017, 08:28 PM
Marke (Mark)

Just checked my bigpond cable
115Mbps down
2.4Mbps up
Got top be happy with that
http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6486634641.png
Old 26-07-2017, 08:39 PM
rmuhlack (Richard)
Professional Nerd

I have nbn FTTP here. 94 down, 38 up for me.
Old 26-07-2017, 09:25 PM
Wavytone

In that case you share a fibre with about 10 neighbours. Wait till your neighbourhood fills up and watch the speed plummet, especially with a few teenagers downloading torrents 24 x 7.
Old 26-07-2017, 11:20 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

9.81 download and 1.88 upload this afternoon on ADSL2. But it can be much slower during peak usage times-on rare occasions it can be unavailable for short periods.
Old 27-07-2017, 10:03 AM
PCH (Paul)

Taking aboard the results seen here, it's hard to imagine any other sphere in which, after paying for the same thing and the good provided can vary so much, nothing is done by the authorities.

Kind of like buying a train ticket from A to B and what you might get is anything from a ride in the back of a rickety horse drawn jallopy to a trip on concord, depending on what day it is or some other random criteria.

An article on the TV this morning shows they're all over Tiny Teddies which, it would seem, theyve been manufacturing a bit smaller than they've been admitting!!

But for ripping off the vast majority of the nation with third world Internet, - nada!

On reflection, I shouldn't disrespect the third world so flippantly. You can get on a bus in downtown Kigali (Africa) and get free wifi that eclipses what we pay thru the nose for here!
Old 27-07-2017, 10:33 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Interesting.

Depends how much data you want each month.

I have 2 GB of data per month on my $20 4G mobile plan. Additional mobile data costs me $10 / GB if I go over the 2 GB cap - most of the time, 2 GB is plenty for my mobile needs, and I find it cheaper to just pay out the extra $10 every once in a while, rather than moving up to a more expensive plan with higher monthly charges (e.g. 9 GB of data for $50 / month).

However, we use 500 - 750 GB of data / month at home - I shudder to think what that would cost on 4G mobile data rates!

My mobile connection is often (but not always) faster than my 30 / 30 Mbps FTTP landline connection (symmetric upload and download speeds; NOT supplied by NBN), which costs me $100 / month. We can go to higher speeds at additional cost if we want, but for now 30 / 30 Mbps is fine. A key advantage of FTTP is that it is ALWAYS 30 Mbps up and 30 Mbps down, we never see any congestion or fluctuation. The 4G speed varies a lot depending on where you are in the house (obviously you would pick a good location if you are going to hot-spot your mobile connection as your primary internet connection), weather conditions, time of day, etc.
Old 27-07-2017, 11:19 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
In that case you share a fibre with about 10 neighbours. Wait till your neighbourhood fills up and watch the speed plummet, especially with a few teenagers downloading torrents 24 x 7.
That's not really an issue if you're on FTTP, only with the various other technologies provided under the Multi-Technology Mix that the LNP version of the NBN is providing.

On GPON FTTP, each fibre supports a maximum of 32 residences (typically fewer). The fibre has a nominal bandwidth of 2.5 Gbps (each way - up and down), which works out at around 77 Mbps per premises (upload and download simultaneously), assuming all 32 users are maxing out their lines at once. You'd have to live in an apartment block full of hard-core torrenters to see a blip on a 100 Mbps FTTP connection.

On FTTN, each node shares a fibre typically across a couple of hundred houses, and can support up to a maximum of 384 per node. You've got the double-whammy of sharing the same bandwidth with a lot more residences AND the technological speed limits of the "last mile" of copper (probably a couple of hundred metres in most cases).

While the NBN only offers 100 / 40 Mbps as the current top tier, FTTP can scale to Gbps speeds (and beyond) without any major upgrades in the network. (Gbps FTTP is already available as a commercial product through much of Asia and in New Zealand for example.) FTTN can't even deliver 100 / 40 Mbps speeds to most residences (because of the length of copper line), and doesn't offer an upgrade path to Gbps speeds.

Sends your complaints to Malcolm Turnbull and Tony Abbott.
Old 27-07-2017, 11:43 AM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

My NBN goes from as high as 11Mbps to under 1Mbps.
Unlike my old pre-nbn connection, Netflix can stagger around waiting to load now.
The fibre to the node sucks, and I don't understand why some have it all the way to their house.
A friends street had every house connected with a fibre and termination box without asking. They just rocked up and attached it to the houses. No consultation with owners.
Mine is over the old copper wire and not as good as my old service.

this is the daily average over a week

Trev
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Netmon1.jpg)
114.6 KB6 views
Old 27-07-2017, 11:45 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Mine averages at 60% below the network average every day.

We can and do watch Netflix in HD - JUST.
Old 27-07-2017, 12:17 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
The fibre to the node sucks, and I don't understand why some have it all the way to their house.
That's the LNP's MTM (Multi-Technology Mix) which replaced the original FTTP plan - it's supposed to be delivered "sooner, cheaper and more affordably" (25 Mbps promised for every household by 2016, and 50 Mbps to 90% by by 2019).

Unfortunately, it isn't being delivered sooner, or cheaper, or more affordably - and it's demonstrably a lot worse than FTTP.

And the promise of optional "technology choice" (where you can opt to upgrade from whatever is built in your neighbourhood to a better product, such as FTTP) has also turned out to be vapour-ware - in most cases, you simply can't get it, and if it is offered, it is generally for an outrageous quoted price of some tens of thousands of dollars. (They actually charge you $660 just to prepare a quote, IF they deem that your property is eligible for the "switch".)
Old 27-07-2017, 12:35 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

the only way I could put it better is that Tony Abbott publicly and openly directed Malcolm Turnbull to "Demolish the NBN" and he seems to have succeeded spectacularly. FTTN is the central plank of the demolition job.

Regards the bottlenecks that Glen mentioned in his post. Most are irrelevant in the case of FTTP or even FTTN NBN (Provided that NBN builds enough bandwidth into the nodes) Currently the problem areas are, FTTN performance being hugely variable, exactly as you would expect when the use of old copper of laregly unknown age and quality and of hugely variable line length is part of the mix. After that, the biggest issues people are running into is the pricing model. That one I don't know if you can blame the ALP for or not but it came about when they were in office. To explain that, there are two charges to connect a customer to the NBN. the AVC (Which basically pays for the physical connection, think of it as line rental) and the CVC, bandwidth. MANY MANY service providers (With the biggest and best known ones being prominent here) skimp in CVC as it is expensive. Skimp on CVC and every one of that service providers customers suffer from peak time congestion when required bandwidth exceeds that bought from NBN. Then there is backhaul from the NBN to your own providers network, and plenty skimp on that too.

Not enough people on NBN HFC yet I think to say how that is going to perform, though their installation history is poor. Fixed wireless performance suffers from success ballast and many towers are congested with upgrades slow to come (I am waiting for one on the tower we are on, speeds have fallen from 35/15 ish in peak times to 10/10 or worse) Satellite I don't know a lot about, except that they had software stability issues at least at one stage.