Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2024, 10:33 AM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Astronomy for seniors!

Pushing 80, cataracts in both eyes, this is now the way for me to keep doing astronomy!

Scope out in the garden, operated from 30 meters away in the air conditioning.

ZWO Seestar S50, running the app on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4, and casting to my desktop PC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Seestar-01.jpg)
68.2 KB138 views
Click for full-size image (Seestar-02.jpg)
161.7 KB134 views
Old 03-02-2024, 12:34 PM
floyd_2 (Dean)

Great way to combat aging eyes Chris. That's what got me into EAA in the first instance. In my case it was astigmatism and not wanting to wear glasses at the eyepiece. The additional benefit of EAA is being able to see so much more than you ever could at the eyepiece. I spent years and years using averted vision to pick out the smallest of details under suburban skies. With EAA those details, plus so much more, are presented in living colour on the screen of my choice whilst I'm wearing glasses to see it all clearly.

I must admit that I do miss sitting out under the stars, and sometimes use my iPad right next to the telescope just because it's so nice sitting out there. Maybe that's cross-over EAA lol.

Don't forget to share your shots mate!
Old 03-02-2024, 12:44 PM
leon

Wow Chris that is a nifty little unit out in the garden, and have to admit i have never seen one before.

Leon
Old 04-02-2024, 10:06 AM
LonelySpoon (Neville)

I'm looking forward to seeing the evolution of those scopes as I move towards your situation, Chris.

I was wondering how I would transition from my big rigs as age caught up with me!

Happy hunting, mate

Neville
LSO
Old 04-02-2024, 10:56 AM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

This little scope shows me objects that I would never see squinting through an eyepiece, and I spent far too much on eyepieces!
As soon as I read about it, I knew it would enable me to continue stargazing for years to come.
Old 04-02-2024, 04:08 PM
floyd_2 (Dean)

I have half an eye on the Vespera II that's about to come out too. Don't tell my wife I said that though
Old 20-04-2024, 12:19 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelySpoon View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing the evolution of those scopes as I move towards your situation, Chris.

I was wondering how I would transition from my big rigs as age caught up with me!

Happy hunting, mate

Neville
LSO
Hi Neville, I bought one recently and the firmware is enabling the Seestar to do more and more. ZWO actually had an update for the US eclipse adding features to make capturing the eclipse better. Cant wait for the mooted panorama update to enable wider field captures. The Seestar is evolving for users now.
Philip
Old 20-04-2024, 03:48 PM
glend (Glen)

EAA, with Sharpcap Live Stacking, is a real useful setup, providing much greater enhancement than visual astronomy, and can give you much greater aperture than thise little SeeStar scopes. If you want the detail of large aperture reach, get, or keep, your 8" or 10" Photographic Newt on a reasonable mount, together with a fairly simple ZWO ASI294 colour camera (non cooled version is fine for EAA). This is a setup that will serve you well, even when your vision let's you down.