Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Marko of Oz (Mark)

What's happened to all the planetary imagers?

There was a time when I'd look in the solar system imaging forum and there'd be a page full of new pics of Saturn to drool over or whatever planet was the flavour of the month.

Is it just a bad time of year?
Have you all gone to deep space imaging because it's easier?

Old 28-06-2014, 02:40 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

There definitely used to be more 5+ years ago.
I got frustrated by the variability of the seeing and losing too much sleep and having nothing to show for it
Old 28-06-2014, 04:02 PM
pgc hunter

They all moved to Melbourne.
Old 28-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Paul Haese

Weather has been a killer here. Being up all night does not hold a lot of attraction for me now either. That said I am working on ideas about how to automate a planetary imaging set up. That way I don't need to be up all night and I can simply download stacked images. So maybe in a year or so this might be a reality.
Old 28-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Paul Haese

BTW neither discipline is harder than the other. Both require specific precision of equipment. I certainly don't think DSO is necessarily easier, but it does allow for easier acquisition of data.
Old 29-06-2014, 01:05 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
There definitely used to be more 5+ years ago.
I got frustrated by the variability of the seeing and losing too much sleep and having nothing to show for it
+1.

Last year, I had a solid 12 week run with zero images to show for it due clouds and an unrelenting jetstream, so packed up the big scope in disgust - what is the point of a hobby that you can't do. have been thinking about getting the spiders out of the scope and trying again this week though.

Last edited by Shiraz; 29-06-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 29-06-2014, 04:04 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Mr cloud and Mrs bad seeing have gobbled them up!

I have attempted to get Mars 3 times this year, got lovely red blobs, one even looked like a traffic light. I will keep imaging it however if I get the chance. I spose another reason may be that some people here take such fantastic pics of planets, and mine are ordinary, I can't see the point of posting my planet pics. Perhaps a planet imaging competition of some kind my get some enthusiasm in this area.
Old 29-06-2014, 04:41 PM
big_dav_2001 (Davin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
I spose another reason may be that some people here take such fantastic pics of planets, and mine are ordinary, I can't see the point of posting my planet pics.
I agree there too, my best planetary pics come nowhere near the standard of quality of most of the other pics. Anything I'd post would simply fade into the background and be 'just another Saturn/Jupiter/whatever, nothing flash' among the gems that most produce.

Maybe a dedicated 'Feedback' album specifically for those who feel their pics aren't quite up to showing-off standard to post in order to receive tips, pointers, reproductions etc from those seasoned vets who churn out great pics time after time?? Kind of a halfway point between the beginner album and the best-of-the-best album?? I know critisim and tips are welcome on the current album, but a dedicated album might encourage people to post pics that would be otherwise lost among the greats, and learn how to improve them...

Davin
Old 29-06-2014, 06:19 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

There is always the beginners section though which is a good place to post them.
I posted a Saturn pic yesterday simply because I saw this thread.
Old 30-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Marko of Oz (Mark)

Great stuff. I knew you were all out there.

Our images don't have to be great, magazine worthy shots. It's a hobby, it's about enjoying what you've achieved and sharing information to help each other improve our techniques for capturing and processing data.

Have fun. I know I'll be out there again as soon as I'm fit enough to carry my gear out.