Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-03-2015, 07:57 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Yep go for it I say....Interesting read Clive, and Tyson is very thought provoking.

I'd like to know if this aliens have this weird abstract thing that we call.... 'money'

Even the name sounds weird on it's own....money..... and also if hitting, kicking, throwing and running around around after balls are a noteworthy event...

Any civilisation that did make it here would have cleared off soon after, based on the 1% Tyson rule!
Old 24-03-2015, 07:42 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Given that there are likely billions of Earth-like planets, I think it would be rather Earthling-like to believe that here, on this 3rd rock from the rather ordinary star, Sol, is the only place where 'life' took hold and progressed in its evolution to what we rather egotistically like to call 'intelligent' life.

We are failing to deal with the basics of survival, that is, the careful rationing of our supplies to ensure our existence. At the rate we are consuming the precious resources of 'Mother Earth' and polluting the very air that sustains us, we need not be concerned that life 'alien to us' is going to be a threat for our existence.

We are our own worst enemy .............

In answer to Suzy's thread title, Yes, I think we do need to 'risk it' and try to contact a more intelligent 'species' as, on our own, we are not going to survive ...........
Matt, you raised a very good point, I never thought of it like that. I think you are so right.
Old 24-03-2015, 09:15 PM
mr bruess
Stargazer who Posts

Should Humanity Try to Contact Alien Civilisations

Should Humanity Try to Contact Alien Civilisations. It may be dangerous.
some of the aliens may not come in peace.
Look at orsen wells radio show which listeners thought they were invaded by beings from mars and people got scared and fled their homes in terror.
Those aliens can travese the great distances to get here by bending space and creating worm holes .
As einstein said,space can be bent and warped and i can image some advanced aliens will have the technology to do this.
NASA is working on a warp drive.Just check the news.
Old 25-03-2015, 07:59 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

One can only wonder and imagine how an encounter would go.
Let's hope they will be peace loving and non violent like us.
Old 26-03-2015, 08:13 AM
Zaps

Any species capable of practical interstellar travel is unlikely to have much interest in us.
Old 26-03-2015, 09:21 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaps View Post
Any species capable of practical interstellar travel is unlikely to have much interest in us.
\

Other than as a specimen to study maybe.

Who knows? They could be benevolent explorers wanting to share technologies and grow trade and culture. We portray Star Trek as going forth to boldly explore the universe with peaceful intentions despite our worldly war like actions.

We call ourselves the human race but we are a mix of very different cultures and beliefs many of which if they came from the sky we would be calling as hostile invaders. 'Aliens' come from other countries as well as possibly other worlds.

Maybe we would find out where we came from, pansperma, across the universe. Discover we are the offspring of a distant world(s) scattered to find other planets and continue the species in whatever form was required to live in an environment.

Oxygen btw, is regarded as a corrosive and bad environment. It oxidises and corrodes other elements. Are our galactic cousins silicon based life forms, or as recently postulated arsenic ? The three elements have atomic similarities that could under differing situations possibly support life. And there may be others we cannot even conceive.
Our world may be seen as to be so toxic to another life form they could bar us from ever being contacted.

Having spilled my weird and wonderful thoughts on the matter I think it comes down to the fact that we are an incredibly long way from anyone else out there and we are unlikely to see them in our lifetimes. And there is nothing we could do about it anyway. We just better be welcoming so we don't give the wrong idea, first impressions count you know
Old 26-03-2015, 11:29 AM
Kunama

Perhaps they set out on their way toward Earth when dinosaurs still roamed the this spaceball and are just about here.
Old 26-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Zaps

A species developed enough for practical interstellar travel would regard us in the same way we do lichen or mold.
Old 28-03-2015, 02:18 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Has anyone ever thought the reason for the lack of contact may very well be that "the aliens" are in fact more dim-witted then we are as a species? Or perhaps their societies are also run by bean counters who won't let them play in space let alone mass an invasion force. Perhaps a thread to discuss the possibility of stoopid aliens is in order here .
Old 28-03-2015, 10:18 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
Has anyone ever thought the reason for the lack of contact may very well be that "the aliens" are in fact more dim-witted then we are as a species?.
I do!
Old 29-03-2015, 03:23 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

The ' last ' one....Do Do Birds

All the rest are still here today...

Col....