Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2014, 07:56 PM
big_dav_2001 (Davin)

15 Minutes of fame

Well, not for me, but for my Dad...

A few weeks ago, my sister was contacted by her modeling agency, asking if she knew any 'real' butchers or bus drivers for an open audition for an upcoming Spring Lamb TV commercial.

Both myself (butcher) and my dad (bus/truck/coach-anything with wheels- driver) went to the audition and got knocked back for that role, BUT my Dad has since been called back for several auditions for another role.

Well, he got notified today, he's been accepted for a TV commercial role alongside none other than the great William Shattner!!!

It's for a New Zealand company, and he plays a PC geek frustrated with his data speed, and Shats comes to the rescue... Not sure if it will be shown in Australia, but I'm sure it will turn up on YouTube at some point. Shooting starts on Monday, so I'm hoping I can find a way to go with him and sneak a chat with Capt. Kirk

Anyone else have a 15 minutes of fame story???

Davin
Old 11-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

That's way cool.

H
Old 11-09-2014, 08:20 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Cool Dav will the old man ever let you forget whos the photgenic one now
Old 11-09-2014, 08:41 PM
big_dav_2001 (Davin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamL View Post
Cool Dav will the old man ever let you forget whos the photgenic one now
Hahaha Nope... It's ok though, I just tell everyone I got the brains of the family...hahaha
Old 12-09-2014, 07:48 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_dav_2001 View Post

Anyone else have a 15 minutes of fame story???

Davin
Not for me, but a mate has been in at least one (and I think several) adds. He's into ancient warfare and has his own swords, shields etc and makes his own costumes and boots etc. I know there was one with the theme of ancient Rome in the modern world. I was supposedly set in London and/or NY but was shot in Sydney, including one scene at the Cenotaph in Hyde Park. However, he hasn't had a speaking part.

He also helped provide entertainment at an 'A list' party at the Sydney Olympics which was held in the Powerhouse Museum, or was it the Australia Museum (I forget now). After the show Ian Thorpe spent the night dancing in my mate's Roman tunic. It must have been a very tight fit! I suggested that he wring out the sweat (there was plenty) and sell it on ebay.

BTW when filming at the Cenotaph they had an actor, dressed as a Roman, at the front addressing the crowd (all the extras). On one take he fluffed his lines so he dropped into "You are all individuals.." All the extras replied, in perfect synchronisation, "I'm not." Then everyone fell over laughing.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:07 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Totally awesome!! You must be so proud and happy for your Dad. Who know where this might lead.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:07 AM
Baddad (Marty)
Teknition

Adelaide in the mid 70's. There was a TV commercial for Stone's Ginger Beer. The scene was an old style horse drawn buggy with a young lady and young man driving. The woman is my sister complete with an umbrella to shade from the sun.

My sister was a model. She married Steve Curtis. Steve was the host of TV Music Express. Gold Logie award.

My sister was friends with the Channel 10 Weather Girl, Helen Cutting. We had some famous people visit us. Too many to list here.

Myself? I maintain a low profile.

Cheers
Old 12-09-2014, 09:51 AM
blink138 (Pat)

ha ha i bet your dad was a bit miffed, i bet he is hamming it up now i suppose!
i do happen to have a couple of hours fame all up i think
these three people all bought their glasses and sunglasses from my shop
unfortunately i was a bit too scared to ask that first persons permission on the day................ her bodyguard had to at first duck to enter my shop and then swivel sideways to complete the manouvre ha ha!
however i only had to wait one day to see her sporting them at the singapore grand prix, and then a week or so to see her at home(?) with a second pair purchased
himself heath ledger, this time with my glasses and in my practice, this is a great natural pic, quite a shy man actually!
sam symonds, comedian on the cover of the edinborough comedy fest i think wearing my shops own design frames
pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (beyonce.jpg)
37.4 KB52 views
Click for full-size image (beyonce 2.jpg)
69.5 KB51 views
Click for full-size image (beyonce 3.jpg)
33.4 KB47 views
Click for full-size image (heath ledger.jpg)
33.2 KB53 views
Click for full-size image (sam symonds.jpg)
55.3 KB44 views
Old 12-09-2014, 10:18 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

I've had my share of reflected fame, hanging out socially with some pretty awesome scientists, astronomers and astronauts. Carolyn Porco (Cassini Mission), Ed Rezac (he's in charge of developing robots to refuel satellites, google Goddard RRM), Astronauts Fred Haise and Eileen Collins, Meteorite Man Geoff Notkin and Bwian Cox.
I'm such a fan girl. But they're all just as nuts about space, science and astronomy as us, it's just that they got dealt out the brains and good fortune to be working at the best jobs in the world.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:13 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink138 View Post
these three people all bought their glasses and sunglasses from my shop
I suppose someone has to ask - who is she? I'm not much on media 'stars'. I have heard the name Heath Ledger but have no idea why he is famous.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:03 PM
blink138 (Pat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
I suppose someone has to ask - who is she? I'm not much on media 'stars'. I have heard the name Heath Ledger but have no idea why he is famous.
the lady is beyonce............. all are easy to google if it is bothering you not knowing who they are though ha ha!
pat
Old 12-09-2014, 02:10 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink138 View Post
the lady is beyonce............. all are easy to google if it is bothering you not knowing who they are though ha ha!
pat
Can I google a picture? Anyway, I've heard the name and now know enough for my curiosity.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:30 PM
blink138 (Pat)

Quote:
Can I google a picture? Anyway, I've heard the name and now know enough for my curiosity.
......ah, i can rest now!
pat
Old 12-09-2014, 06:01 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
If you mouse over the thumbnail it gives the name the uploader assigned the image - if they were kind enough to do so. The first one is "beyonce.jpg". Shame she has no taste in husbands.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:18 PM
blink138 (Pat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
If you mouse over the thumbnail it gives the name the uploader assigned the image - if they were kind enough to do so. The first one is "beyonce.jpg". Shame she has no taste in husbands.
but the BEST taste in shops and sunglasses ha ha!
pat
Old 12-09-2014, 06:57 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Quote:
Shame she has no taste in husbands.
or music
Old 13-09-2014, 01:08 AM
blink138 (Pat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamL View Post
or music
ha ha yes i could not name a song!
pat
Old 15-09-2014, 12:40 PM
big_dav_2001 (Davin)

Well, I wasn't allowed to go into the set for the filming today, but my Dad just sent this quick snap of "Bill" (they're first name basis apparently...hehe)...

Apparently he is a great bloke to talk to, full of 'dad jokes' and a great sense of humour. I haven't seen a photo yet, but apparently my dad is almost unrecognisable, his grey hair has been dyed and cut short...

They're currently filming in a private mansion in Sydney's Inner West... My dad's role is a send-up of a well known Kiwi 'Kim Dotcom'... I don't really know anything about him, but he seems like NZ's answer to Mark Zuckerberg... Should be interesting to see... Lol

Davin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image.jpg)
110.6 KB44 views
Old 15-09-2014, 02:13 PM
PCH (Paul)

An exciting time for him, and you probably, Davin. I hope he really enjoys the experience.

I'd love to sit on Bill's dunny - I heard it was a replica of his driving seat in the original Star Trek episodes. Pretty cool huh?
Old 15-09-2014, 02:13 PM
big_dav_2001 (Davin)

Lunch break on set

Bill's been posting on Twitter all day, so I just sent him a random message saying I was Jimbo's son asking him to tell him "Davin said don't forget the milk"... Just got a dumbfounded text message from my Dad asking me how the hell I got him to do it... Lmao

Davin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image.jpg)
118.0 KB43 views