Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-02-2017, 02:33 PM
PCH (Paul)

What Replaced the Camcorder?

Hey guys,

I realise this could very easily sound like a dopey question, but what do peeps take their holiday videos on these days?

I still have an old Panasonic camcorder, but with today's PCs I don't think I could even capture the output from it any more.

I have an iPhone of course, but that's not really convenient to video lengthy segments over the course of several weeks.

What do you guys use when you go off on your hols?
Old 23-02-2017, 02:52 PM
Redshift13 (Rohan)

Most current and recent model digital cameras - both point-&-click and DSLR (even entry-level models) have video capture, and many of those are able to capture in high-definition.
I use my entry level Canon DSLR - it has high-def video capability.
Old 23-02-2017, 02:53 PM
inertia8 (Australia)

I use one that records to an sd/microsd card.
Old 23-02-2017, 02:56 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift13 View Post
Most current and recent model digital cameras - both point-&-click and DSLR (even entry-level models) have video capture, and many of those are able to capture in high-definition.
I use my entry level Canon DSLR - it has high-def video capability.
Same here .
Even do some Planetary clips!!
bigjoe.
Old 23-02-2017, 03:06 PM
JA

I Use Canon Digital Video Camera 1080p /SD card storage for sports /action video, DSLR for other HD & 4K vision and sometimes Bridge Cam for travel

Best
JA
Old 23-02-2017, 03:08 PM
PCH (Paul)

Thanks for the input guys.

I can see that's where I'll probably end up, but one of the features I liked best about camcorders was the instant zoom in and out facility that most had.

I think I'm right in thinking that neither DSLR nor point-n-click have such a facility. Is that right? I only have a Canon EOS400D and that is waay behind the current spec.
Old 23-02-2017, 04:19 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
Thanks for the input guys.

I can see that's where I'll probably end up, but one of the features I liked best about camcorders was the instant zoom in and out facility that most had.

I think I'm right in thinking that neither DSLR nor point-n-click have such a facility. Is that right? I only have a Canon EOS400D and that is waay behind the current spec.
Hi PCH,

If by instant zoom, you mean a motorised zoom, then yes Digital Video Camera is the typical place for that, although almost all bridge and point and shoot digital cameras that take video also have some form of motorised zoom. There are even some motorised zooms available for DSLRs. Infact there is even a Canon add on that mounts under a Canon manual zoom to motorise it. (think it was the 24-105- now I'll have to check) (Why don't Nikon do that ? Grrrr !) EDIT: It was Canon 18-135mm pic attached.

BUT if you want a smooth, controllable zoom, even with various zoom speeds, like a slow cinematic zoom, then a digital video cam is the way to go and you will have the most choice in that group. You can even get tripod mounted zoom controllers which mount to the tripod pan handle to help you zoom as you pan . etc... which is great for sport/ action.

Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1466611627000_1225881.jpg)
40.5 KB8 views
Click for full-size image (1480700263000_IMG_587719.jpg)
61.0 KB12 views
Old 23-02-2017, 04:48 PM
fbk (Fraser)

I use a Panasonic LX7 which although a couple of years old now, for a point and shoot has incredible video capabilities. Full manual control of everything while shooting video - shutter speed, aperture, ISO, frame rate, manual focus, focus lock, extreme macro, built in ND filter... primarily I use all this for shooting underwater footage from wide angle footage cave diving in Mexico or for super macro marine life. Fast and wide f/1.4 lens but optical zoom is limited to 4x. The u/w housing and lighting cost far more than the camera which you could pick up for around $350 at the end of it's life. It had and may still have a bit of a cult following for video use in a compact form as at the time the Sony RX100 was the only other p&s that offered the same control, more than some DSLR's. I watch all my HD video on a 120" screen and I'm so happy with the camera I've got 2 spares so that I can continue to use my housing if the current one dies. There are more capable cameras for video these days, 4K etc.

To answer your question though Camcorders are still around, just much smaller and far less of a market for them with all the other non-dedicated options like phones and other cameras meeting most peoples video needs, I'd say.
Old 23-02-2017, 07:13 PM
PCH (Paul)

Thanks Fraser and JA, - thanks for sharing your thoughts. Well, I know more now than I did a few hours ago, so I guess I have enought to go on.

Thanks for helping out everyone.
Old 23-02-2017, 11:57 PM
doppler (Rick)

Probably the "go pro" action camera
Old 27-02-2017, 07:47 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

The issue I find with a DSLR or similar style camera (Or a Gopro or other action cam) is that they are not shaped in a way that is comfortable to hold for video work. A proper video cam is a much better thing, just that tape media has goen the way of the dodo.
Old 27-02-2017, 09:10 PM
PCH (Paul)

That was exactly how I felt, and in the end I managed to get a Sony HDR-CX405 at a very reasonable $295, so I'm happy with that.

And tape has gone the way of the dodo indeed, but modern camcorders use microSD cards instead of tape.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:53 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

You can always find if you look actual broadcast cameras from not long ago at good prices second hand when studios update their gear. You'd be surprised, digital (solid state and hard drive) was around for a LONG time before consumer gear got it so there's stuff out there cheap thats far better than you'll get at jbhifi. Hard for consumers to find model numbers etc to look for if you're not in the broadcast industry.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:25 PM
Wavytone

Paul, as one who has a little boy... 90% of our video clips are from iPhones, simply because they're almost immediately at hand and fit pockets and handbags.

I did use a couple of compacts (LX3 and LX5) of many years and in comparison the iPhone 6/6+/7 all shoot better quality video than the compacts ever did.

I now have a Panasonic GX85 which shoots really gorgeous 4K video. Add optical zoom, which iPhones don't have.
But it remains a matter of convenience winning out, over the inconvenience of a larger camera.

If you've used any recent M4/3 or DSLR capable of 4K video you'll realise camcorders belong on the scrapheap. Very firmly.

But I do agree on the issue of ergonomics. It is remarkable IMHO that here we are 20 years after the death of film, and digital cameras are still clinging to a form-factor that was driven by the need to hold a canister of film, and a take-up spool to hold the used film. History also shows cameras departing from that form factor will die rather quickly despite their technical merits.