Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2015, 04:13 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Buying a tripod for DSLR

How much would you expect to pay for a decent quality tripod? I found a second-hand Manfrotto on Gumtree for $300, but to me it seems crazy to spend so much on a tripod when I can put the extra cash towards a new lens.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:28 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I think I paid about $400 for my Manfrotto a few years back, its a bit on the heavy side (compared to some the newer carbon fibre) but it is very stable and very smooth movement.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:29 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

I would like something that is easy to set up and not too heavy to carry around. I noticed the Manfrotto comes with excellent ratings.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:05 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

which manfrotto model was it -you can prob get one for $200 -is it a ball head you're after?
Old 12-07-2015, 07:29 PM
DarkKnight (Kev)

Hi Billi,

I'm new to astro but not so new with general photography. Are you looking for a general photography tripod, or something to maybe mount a 'scope on. They are two different beasts.

With a photography tripod your first requirement should be to match your tripod to your height. Ideally your camera viewfinder should be at standing eye-level without the centre column raised.

What are you going to do with it? If you are only going to use it close to your house or car, an aluminium model will probably be fine. If you need to carry it over distance carbon fibre is much lighter, less vibration prone and more expensive.

If you are looking at it from an astronomy point of view it's a new ballgame. I have a Manfrotto carbon fibre tripod that is great for my photography uses but would be totally inadequate for astro photography.
I haven't looked lately but I don't remember seeing anything on the Manfrotto catalogue that was for astronomy use.
Old 13-07-2015, 06:12 AM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight View Post
Hi Billi,

I'm new to astro but not so new with general photography. Are you looking for a general photography tripod, or something to maybe mount a 'scope on. They are two different beasts.

With a photography tripod your first requirement should be to match your tripod to your height. Ideally your camera viewfinder should be at standing eye-level without the centre column raised.

What are you going to do with it? If you are only going to use it close to your house or car, an aluminium model will probably be fine. If you need to carry it over distance carbon fibre is much lighter, less vibration prone and more expensive.

If you are looking at it from an astronomy point of view it's a new ballgame. I have a Manfrotto carbon fibre tripod that is great for my photography uses but would be totally inadequate for astro photography.
I haven't looked lately but I don't remember seeing anything on the Manfrotto catalogue that was for astronomy use.
I'm not interested in astrophotography (leave that to the professionals! ) because I'm only just getting to know the ropes of general photography. I think I would like something light enough to carry when I go walking. I'm just over 160cm tall, so I don't know.if that helps anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
which manfrotto model was it -you can prob get one for $200 -is it a ball head you're after?
Haha well I just checked and the one I was looking at has been sold. This is the model description the seller used "Manfrotto 055XPROB with 498RC4 Ballhead". I'm guessing the ball head would give a much better range of movement?

Thanks to both of you
Old 13-07-2015, 11:23 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

you could try the 190 series, weight down from 055 but should hold a d-slr no worries
Old 13-07-2015, 11:38 AM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

There's a 290 for $180 on Gumtree. I'm not at all familiar with the different models so it's a bit like walking in the dark.
Old 13-07-2015, 12:24 PM
DarkKnight (Kev)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliGoatsGruff View Post
There's a 290 for $180 on Gumtree. I'm not at all familiar with the different models so it's a bit like walking in the dark.
I have a Manfrotto 190CXPROB (the 'C' denotes carbon fibre) and it is an excellent tripod. Any of the 190 or 290 series should suit your needs.

I don't use Manfrotto heads though as I don't like the slackness in them. If possible buy the tripod without a head or be prepared to change the head to something that is compatible with the Arca Swiss plate system.

I wasted $450.00 on 'cheap' tripods before I bought my Manfrotto.

Camera models are updated and superceded regularly but a good lens, tripod and ballhead should last you a long time.

You might like to have a read of this article I wrote on selecting a tripod.
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ripod_and_head

The other essential is a remote shutter release as your tripod mounted camera takes 3 or 4 seconds to stop vibrating after you have touched it.
Old 13-07-2015, 06:01 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

What brand would you recommend for the head?
Old 13-07-2015, 08:15 PM
DarkKnight (Kev)

Quote:
What brand would you recommend for the head?
I personally use a Markins Q10 but these are now nudging $500.00.

The Sirui K-20X seem to be getting good feedback.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sirui-K-2...item419923be0f

I had a Sirui monopod head and it was a very well made bit of kit.

The problem with the el cheapo ball heads is that they droop when you think you have locked them in.
Old 13-07-2015, 08:34 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight View Post
I personally use a Markins Q10 but these are now nudging $500.00.
Holy bananas! That's how much I paid for my camera! Hahaha I guess.nothing about photography is cheap. I'm glad that I didn't just go to Big W and pick one up for $20.
Old 13-07-2015, 08:39 PM
BeanerSA (Paul)

Kogan is more my price range https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/profess...camera-tripod/
Old 13-07-2015, 08:47 PM
zenith (Tim)

Benro tripod

Hi Billy,

I bought one of these second hand for $120.
http://www.amazon.com/Benro-A2682TB1.../dp/B006FEG6KS

I am very happy with it, it seems well made for a Chinese tripod, and converts into a mono-pod and hiking stick (replete with polished wooden handle that is so absurdly ridiculous looking it would have to be recommended by two out of three pimps!).

Its a little weighty (being made of aluminum) but I like the solid feel of it, and it handles my Canon and lens no problem. The legs can be locked into a couple of different positions so its pretty versatile. The centre shaft has a hook so that you can put your back pack/camera bag onto it to add a bit of weight if you really want it rock solid.

I bought it from http://www.cameramarket.com.au/ and waited about three months for this bargain to come along. I've not owned a more expensive tripod so don't know how much better they might be, but this little one does the job for me.

Rgs.
Old 13-07-2015, 08:47 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanerSA View Post
Haha definitely! I'm hoping to buy something that will go the extra mile. I'm pretty money conscious, so I'd rather pay extra for top quality gear that lasts of course, it would be nice if all photography gear was less than $100 (a girl can dream, right?)
Old 13-07-2015, 08:53 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith View Post
Hi Billy,

I bought one of these second hand for $120.
http://www.amazon.com/Benro-A2682TB1.../dp/B006FEG6KS

I am very happy with it, it seems well made for a Chinese tripod, and converts into a mono-pod and hiking stick (replete with polished wooden handle that is so absurdly ridiculous looking it would have to be recommended by two out of three pimps!).

Its a little weighty (being made of aluminum) but I like the solid feel of it, and it handles my Canon and lens no problem. The legs can be locked into a couple of different positions so its pretty versatile. The centre shaft has a hook so that you can put your back pack/camera bag onto it to add a bit of weight if you really want it rock solid.

I bought it from http://www.cameramarket.com.au/ and waited about three months for this bargain to come along. I've not owned a more expensive tripod so don't know how much better they might be, but this little one does the job for me.

Rgs.
It sounds grand I love the idea of it doubling as a pimp cane there's still a couple weeks before I can purchase a tripod, so I'll keep an eye out for bargains. It's definitely going on my list of possible candidates. I'm goping to stay under $150.
P.S the fact that it is solid would be great for me because I'm a total klutz. It's a sheer miracle that I've managed to keep my astronomy gear in one piece!
Old 13-07-2015, 09:21 PM
DarkKnight (Kev)

Quote:
Holy bananas! That's how much I paid for my camera! Hahaha I guess.nothing about photography is cheap. I'm glad that I didn't just go to Big W and pick one up for $20.
Billi, there are heaps of reviews for cameras and lens, but not so many for tripods and heads. The reality of it is that the best DSLR and lens will not give good results on a cheap tripod if not used in the best of conditions and with the utmost care. For example, a lightweight tripod will vibrate in a modest breeze, making sharp images almost impossible.

I guess it all comes down to what level of excellence you want from your photography, and how much you can afford to spend to achieve that.

My tripod is a mid level unit and it is a long way from perfect, but I've learnt it's limitations and how to work around them.
Old 13-07-2015, 09:25 PM
doppler (Rick)

I have a cheaper $70 tripod "inca" brand that works ok for me. It is a ball head with a 4kg rating. It will hold my 4" 700mm f7 telescope (which is probably right on its limit). If you want to try wide field astrophotography you definately need a ball head (and a camera with a swivel screen). The only bad point with my tripod is the quick realease attachment, I would prefer a direct screw into camera mount. I guess it depends on how often you are going to use the tripod, if you can justify the expense.

Cheers Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (inca tripod.jpg)
186.5 KB33 views
Old 13-07-2015, 11:16 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

I have a Vanguard tripod. I got it at Ted's a couple of years ago. When I was checking them out it was stronger, more versatile and seemed better made than the equivalent priced Manfrotto. It was not cheap, but I haven't regretted my purchase. (They do make cheaper ones!)
This mob seem to have them: http://www.digidirect.com.au/accesso...FQQHvAod1VsJCg
(note that this is with a good quality ball head.)
I guess one of the things to check with the cheaper ones is how much plastic is in them: some are really dodgy (just like some of the cheap telescope mounts!) Much better to see one in the flesh than just buy on line without using it.

All the best,

Dean
Old 14-07-2015, 12:34 AM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

I'm going to second the recommendation of the Benro line of tripods and ball heads. The company started out building knock-offs of Gitzo gear and they represent excellent value at the lower end. Their quick release system is Arca-Swiss compatible.

If you want to kill it I can recommend the aptly named Really Right Stuff tripods and heads, they are second to none. Also Arca-Swiss compatible.