Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-08-2022, 07:30 PM
Scorpia (Peter)

Beginner EAA/Astro accessories help - on a budget

Hi All,

im looking for some advice from some others with more experience than me in this field.

Im trying to put together a basic EAA mount while i save money for more equipment.

I have picked up a skywatcher AZ-gti off the forums and im looking to mount a small camera on it and use it with a raspberry pi for EAA.

ie something like these.
Camera version
or
Telescope Version

Currently i have the following options for camera/scopes

1, canon 550d or 450D with either 55-250mm or 120-400mm lense. To use this i need to find some sort of vixen bar to mount the camera to the mount but i cant find anything less than about $80. does this sound right?

this is what i found which seems like it will do the job but $80!!
vixen bar

2, i picked up both a ASI178MC and ASI120MM on a spur of the moment purchase and currently have a svbony 30mm f4 guide scope. (scope and asi120mm purchased for guiding in future)

so I either need a bracket of some sort to mount the guide scope to the vixen bracket or some sort of larger scope. the ebay guides suggest the sky-watcher evoguide 50ed II. which looks like a nice scope . could this be used for photography later or is it to small?

does anyone have any suggestions on what mounting plates / telescopes to purchase so I don't waste to much money, so i can get something to have some fun with while i work on a proper photography rig.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Last edited by Scorpia; 23-08-2022 at 07:54 PM.
Old 23-08-2022, 08:17 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Peter, there is something to see / take pics of at any focal length!

If you have the Canon already, then don’t be shy away from using it. Since you also have a ASI178MC, don’t shy away from using that either, as the 178 is a low-noise, high resolution imaging camera. The 120 is good for guiding…

You don’t need any specific scope to get started with, but the Evoguide is a nice, well-corrected little scope. There is also a flattener available if you find the star shapes offensive near the edges. (Note: you’d need to use the Starizona EvoFF to accomodate a Canon camera).

Look out for Vixen-style dovetail bars in the classifieds, or perhaps post a wanted ad in that section.
Old 23-08-2022, 09:39 PM
Scorpia (Peter)

Thanks for the encouragement, i dont mind trying either setup but im still stumped how to attach them to my mount, maybe im missing something,

i was looking at the wiliams optics 50/200mm scope that is for sale in the forums but I think reading about it I will have the same issue, it has a narrower mounting bar that wont fit a standard vixen mount (same as my little guide scope), maybe im missing something and need to look into the accessories a bit more.

I did found this bar on amazon that looks like it will allow me to mount my canon camera's to it with an extra screw then attach to the vixen mount
svbony dovetail

but it doesnt seem to mention vixen mounting on the add. so again im not sure.

At this stage im tempted to just buy the evoguide and FF new from sidereal trading as it seems to have everything i would need but it would be good to try out the canon camera's as well if i can get them mounted.
Old 24-08-2022, 08:35 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

It depends on your optics… scopes usually come with a Vixen-style dovetail (at least, on the smaller end).

The Evoguide II for example includes the dovetail. With a camera lens, I’d recommend a pair of Losmandy rings large enough to support your lens.

While on the subject of the Evoguide, you would certainly need the FF for a Canon sized sensor, but the Skywatcher FF has only 17.5mm back focus - so you’d never get it in focus. The Starizona EvoFF has 55mm back focus, so by the time you add a T-thread Canon adapter, that will hit the spot.
Old 25-08-2022, 01:35 AM
glend (Glen)

Testar in Sydney has a number of mount options in stock, I suggest you give them a call. They also have a website.
For the ultimate in choice for mounting gear it's hard to beat Teleskop Services in Germany, I bought a very nice fully adjustable DSLR body/lens integrated mount (vixen bar) from them at a very reasonable price.

Do some research, the gear is out there.
Old 25-08-2022, 05:58 PM
Scorpia (Peter)

Firstly, thanks for the responses,

I ended up speaking with sidereal trading and they put me onto one of their vixen bars that has the right slots in it.

so i have ordered that plus the evoguide 50d and FF so hopefully i will be able to test both the dslr and the asi178mc . so its a start.

Now to keep an eye out for maybe an 80ed scope at the right price and of cause a goto mount.

i think im starting to understand the different adaptors etc. I will see once this stuff turns up.

Last edited by Scorpia; 25-08-2022 at 06:09 PM.
Old 25-08-2022, 08:27 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

I got one of these a while ago from Testar in Sydney...
https://www.testar.com.au/collection...xen-bar-medium
Does a similar job to what you're describing very nicely. Standard camera 1/4" thread bolt can be configured with it a number of different ways.