Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-02-2024, 11:44 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

M78

About 4.5hrs of M78 from dark skies Sept + Dec 2023. 2min subs with OSC (QHY247c). FSQ106ED/f5 on HEQ5Pro.

Had previously gone overboard pulling every bit of dust and colour, but this is the more respectful version

Didn't really have time to do Ha properly without sacrificing depth of RGB. Just love this part of the sky. Hard to do justice to all the fantastic targets in Orion in between summer weather though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M78 small.jpg)
201.4 KB139 views
Old 16-02-2024, 12:53 AM
floyd_2 (Dean)

Amazing job Rob. I love the work that you put into those dust lanes, and your star colours are really nice. It’s a real keeper with heaps of detail to pour over!
Old 16-02-2024, 01:53 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Ah a lovely M78, not too hot, not too cold, nicely stated

Mike
Old 16-02-2024, 02:46 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Superb image , nicely processed
Colours are A1

Cheers
Martin
Old 16-02-2024, 09:54 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Thanks so much for checking it out and all the encouragement guys. We've never had better tools, but its still easy to get lost doing stretches etc on the master linear data. Much happier with this version, and glad seems right to others as well.
Old 19-02-2024, 11:29 AM
Dave882 (David)

Love it Rob! Colours are wonderful (especially love the colour in the dusty areas) and great framing too!
Old 20-02-2024, 12:02 PM
Paul Haese

Nice M78 Rob, the colour looks good and well balanced. Detail is also nice but hard to tell with that size image. Overall it looks pretty good in my opinion.
Old 20-02-2024, 08:39 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave882 View Post
Love it Rob! Colours are wonderful (especially love the colour in the dusty areas) and great framing too!
Glad you enjoyed Dave - had a lot of fun processing it too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Nice M78 Rob, the colour looks good and well balanced. Detail is also nice but hard to tell with that size image. Overall it looks pretty good in my opinion.
My bad Paul - usually link higher res version. Higher res zoom-able JPG available here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oSe7SeAkBYyKgiRN7

(and I always try to put new images up on Google as per link in my footer)
Old 21-02-2024, 12:00 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Nice one Rob! very natural colour! I find the addition of Ha in this target tends to push the reds too far and makes it look less dusty/more excited particles...

Where are you going these days for dark skies mate? I'm bortle 4 at my new place but I would really love some time under bortle 1/2 sky.
Old 21-02-2024, 07:48 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

A great image Rob. M78 is a wonderful collection of shapes and colours. A fascinating object to study
Old 21-02-2024, 09:06 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
Nice one Rob! very natural colour! I find the addition of Ha in this target tends to push the reds too far and makes it look less dusty/more excited particles...

Where are you going these days for dark skies mate? I'm bortle 4 at my new place but I would really love some time under bortle 1/2 sky.
All good Alex. Just older, greyer, and grumpier. Really miss the good old days at Ron's and Peter's (10 Chain) but very grateful for their hospitality while getting started in AP. Get up to Leyburn when I can but its a private residence so don't like to intrude on the owners if possible. Have been digging through old data during the clouds and bit embarassed how much stuff I had stashed from years ago - trying to catch up on the backlog
Glad to hear you're active again too and having fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
A great image Rob. M78 is a wonderful collection of shapes and colours. A fascinating object to study
Thanks Rodney - it really is a beautiful object - probably bit too neglected by most when Orion is up unfortunately
Old 29-02-2024, 10:49 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
All good Alex. Just older, greyer, and grumpier. Really miss the good old days at Ron's and Peter's (10 Chain) but very grateful for their hospitality while getting started in AP. Get up to Leyburn when I can but its a private residence so don't like to intrude on the owners if possible. Have been digging through old data during the clouds and bit embarassed how much stuff I had stashed from years ago - trying to catch up on the backlog
Glad to hear you're active again too and having fun!
I've been surprised by how much information I've been able to pull out of 2008~2010 data with current processing tools... Phenomenal stuff!

I have unfortunately not been able to make much use of the few clear nights we've had... The last two, despite being beautifully clear, I've bowed out based purely on moon illumination... Waiting on NB filters that are apparently straped to the back of a very lost pidgeon on its way from China...
Old 29-02-2024, 10:52 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

B pidgeons!