Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-04-2015, 10:20 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileys2611 View Post
The thread on the back is 117mm x 1mm right? Has anyone come up with a set of adapters for these to mate the takahashi collimating scope on the back? Or a moonlite?
I actually don't know the thread size but Precise Parts makes adapters up for all those pieces of it. I have an adapter from the atlas to the Tak collimation scope. Works a treat.
Old 23-04-2015, 12:02 AM
baileys2611 (Simon Bailey)
I like biscuits

Yeh, thanks for that Paul. I hear you were partly responsible for the RC12" rear cell redesign. I also heard why ;-)

Here's what I think I'll use: Moonlite AT RC 10 flange -> Moonlite -> 2" Nosepiece (yes, it's not threaded but what can you do with a 2" moonlite?) with T-thread adapter -> Precise Parts T-thread to tak collimating scope.

( ! ! ! )

Unless I've got the wrong idea and the collimating scope should just go straight on to the rear cell with a Precise Parts RC 12 flange -> tak collimating scope attachment?
Old 23-04-2015, 08:36 AM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Yeh, thanks for that Paul. I hear you were partly responsible for the RC12" rear cell redesign. I also heard why ;-)

Here's what I think I'll use: Moonlite AT RC 10 flange -> Moonlite -> 2" Nosepiece (yes, it's not threaded but what can you do with a 2" moonlite?) with T-thread adapter -> Precise Parts T-thread to tak collimating scope.

( ! ! ! )

Unless I've got the wrong idea and the collimating scope should just go straight on to the rear cell with a Precise Parts RC 12 flange -> tak collimating scope attachment?
I did have a small hand in the redesign as it turns out, putting that much weight on the back of the scope lead to errors showing up.

You should definitely have everything in place up to and including the focusor. So you are on the right track.

You would need to get a threaded draw tube on your Moonlite to run a thread off that to the imaging train. Possible but it depends on your need for a threaded assembly. If you camera is light then it might not be necessary at this stage.
Old 23-04-2015, 08:48 AM
Logieberra (Logan)

I use a non-threaded standard 2" setup on my 12"RC. Optec TCF-Si. To connect my Tak Collimation Scope, I simply thread it into part no. 13 in the attached pic. Works for me, and infinitely cheaper than a PreciseParts adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_2015-04-23-08-42-55.jpg)
133.8 KB36 views
Old 26-04-2015, 09:44 AM
I like biscuits

Hmm...I could have done that. I got excited (impatient?) and ordered my bit from precise parts.

I also managed to find some time to service my PMX. In the end it wasn't that hard! For those interested there are some shots and what not here.

Last edited by baileys2611; 26-04-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 26-04-2015, 10:31 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Nice page. Good info there.

PreciseParts... in US dollars... we really need an Australian equivalent. Might look into it...
Old 02-05-2015, 11:15 PM
I like biscuits

I managed to get some time to put the GSO 12" RCA on my Paramount MX. Still no PEC test - but the 1st step has been done. If any are interested: http://www.skyslab.info/guan-sheng-o...tien-part-two/
Old 03-05-2015, 12:28 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
I managed to get some time to put the GSO 12" RCA on my Paramount MX. Still no PEC test - but the 1st step has been done. If any are interested: http://www.skyslab.info/guan-sheng-o...tien-part-two/
Your link reminded me about a shroud. I bought one today as a result of your link. So that worked for me.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:45 PM
I like biscuits

Thanks Paul. Paul, Logan I have a question about the rear cell of the RC.

Bintel recommends an attachment to square the focuser for both collimation and photos (http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories...oductview.aspx) but the rear cell of the RC looks like it has something like this already in place: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8757/...101c47b4_c.jpg

Do you know if this is the same thing or something different?

Thanks
Simon.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Thanks Paul. Paul, Logan I have a question about the rear cell of the RC.

Bintel recommends an attachment to square the focuser for both collimation and photos (http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories...oductview.aspx) but the rear cell of the RC looks like it has something like this already in place: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8757/...101c47b4_c.jpg

Do you know if this is the same thing or something different?

Thanks
Simon.
Your new RC12 already has the collimating ring as well as the primary collimating on the actual back plate. This was part of the development that I had a hand in last year. The website has not been updated I suspect.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:03 PM
I like biscuits

Awesome! Thanks Paul.
Old 24-05-2015, 12:27 AM
I like biscuits

Took a while...

I finally got enough time and clear weather to put everything together, do some Tpoint runs, correct and do that again, then re-do PEC. Funny, no change in the result - although there is a change in the curve.

I need to see if I can get PEMPro working, which at the moment I'm having problems getting to communicate with the mount. It starts up ok, I can get past calculating the pixels/arc second but cannot get past trying calculating angle, rotation and direction. Something weird going on there. I've got 60 days to figure it out because at the moment, I don't want to pay $ for some software that will not do what I need.

Here are the results using TheSkyX: http://www.skyslab.info/theskyx-tpoi...r-corrections/
Old 24-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Paul Haese

HI Simon, don't bother with the SkyX PEC. It is garbage and does not work correctly. Use Pempro. Your values will be correct then and you will see real results.
Old 24-05-2015, 01:03 PM
SpaceNoob (Chris)
Atlas Observatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
HI Simon, don't bother with the SkyX PEC. It is garbage and does not work correctly. Use Pempro. Your values will be correct then and you will see real results.
+1 For this, Pempro is king. Both my MX and ME are flat lines on guide history after using Pempro. With native SkyX PEC, there was inconsistency and it just wasn't quite right.
Old 24-05-2015, 07:02 PM
I like biscuits

It's a terrible night for it tonight, the high level cloud keeps on blowing in and away again, but I'm going to give it a shot. I know when measuring you turn off PEC corrections in TheSkyX, but do you also turn off pro-track?
Old 25-05-2015, 09:26 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Quote:
It's a terrible night for it tonight, the high level cloud keeps on blowing in and away again, but I'm going to give it a shot. I know when measuring you turn off PEC corrections in TheSkyX, but do you also turn off pro-track?
I hope I'm not misquoting Patrick Wallace, but I believe he has said on the SB Forum that it ought to not make any difference if Protrack is on or off. The advantage of on is that the star will stay in the guide box window longer. With PEMPro I don't think it really matters as PEMPro will just follow the star anyway.

I probably said this before as well, but PPEMPro has been the only way I could correct PEC in both my MX and MEII. I never could get TSX to work properly (and I have tried a zilion+ times).

Peter
Old 26-05-2015, 09:28 PM
I like biscuits

Fair enough. I tried it the other night - just before it clouded up and now need to wait for a clear night to see if it made any difference or if I need to invert the curve. I think I'm getting a bit more relaxed about this though, given the way a curve seems to be applied and then you can re-apply a different curve, the worst that can happen is the curve is inverted incorrectly which will double the error and you re-do the PEC to compensate, which then corrects the error and so on. Sounds simple!
Old 04-06-2015, 12:06 AM
I like biscuits

I finally managed to get PEMpro sort of working with my Paramount the other night and gave a shot at recording and setting PEC. I'm not sure I'm getting this right at all.

After 45 minutes of recording, about 10 or 11 cycles, I created a graph and it now tells me I'm correcting at +-0.1 error. After applying the graph, I get slightly better guiding through TSX, but certainly not phenomenal guiding which you would think was the case at +-0.1

I was as close to 0 Dec that I could get, was on a magnitude 6.8 star, told PEMpro I was in the southern hemisphere and was west of the meridian. About the only thing I couldn't do was calibrate fully in PEMPro because a)TSX is not ASCOM compliant, b) I am using the main camera for PEC which does not have a guider relay port for moving the mount and c) do not know what 'other' means when telling PEMPro how to move the mount about during calibration.

Am I missing something here? Any ideas why PEMPro would be saying such a small error?

Like I said, +-0.1 was the final curve but only a slight improvement in tracking once the curve was applied. My resolution is about .65 arcsec/pixel.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:58 AM
Logieberra (Logan)

Hi
If you haven't calibrated fully in Pempro, I would not trust the results you got. I connect to my cameras in Pempro via CCDSoft (the STi and Atik). I'm also using a plug-in from the ASCOM site,
"CCDSoft™ ASCOM Camera Plug-In for CCDSoft" which lets CCDSoft control my ASCOM camera directly (the Atik - but I've also used a QHY to collect PEM data before).
Otherwise, try using only your SBIG STi. Calibration will be tougher on that small chip - but it can be done. I've calibrated Pempro and collected PEM and PA data via STi and MMOAG in the past! Not ideal, but it can be done.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:06 AM
Paul Haese

A question here is whether you had the camera at 0 degrees? If not then you need to do a full calibration in Pempro. You only need to be a few degrees out and your results will be affected.