Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2015, 03:19 PM
JaseD (Jase)

Curse of the new scope

You would have thought living in the tropical north of Oz, in the second month of the dry season (meaning next to no rain/cloud cover) the odds of getting to use your new scope would be high... Umm NOPE it has been raining since Friday with rain predicted until at least Thursday! Grrrr. The curse strikes again.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:35 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

It's a little known fact that Noah was a keen amateur astronomer. He had just taken delivery of a nice 12" Dob when God told him to build an ark ...
Old 02-06-2015, 03:40 PM
doppler (Rick)

I wouldn't worry too much, full moon tonight so the sky won't be dark until later in the week anyway. But yes, a nice clear dry season would be a nice change, everyone here is starting to take sunset pics instead of astro.
There have been some nice sunsets though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1shoal point.jpg)
169.3 KB29 views
Old 02-06-2015, 03:52 PM
JaseD (Jase)

Lmao Julian. That is funny
Old 02-06-2015, 03:53 PM
JaseD (Jase)

That is a nice pic Rick.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:56 PM
JaseD (Jase)

[QUOTE=doppler;1179312]I wouldn't worry too much, full moon tonight so the sky won't be dark until later in the week anyway. But yes, a nice clear dry season would be a nice change, everyone here is starting to take sunset pics instead of astro.

Yeah, I was going set it up and have a play the in backyard and show my young fella the moon since he is learning about it in class. But alas will have to wait.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:19 AM
raymo

Jeez Jase, you're a poet and didn't know it.
raymo
Old 05-06-2015, 11:47 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

I know that feeling very well Jase.

When I got my new scope there was total cloud cover for at least a month.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:05 PM
Pinwheel (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
It's a little known fact that Noah was a keen amateur astronomer. He had just taken delivery of a nice 12" Dob when God told him to build an ark ...
And God did'th command to Noah build an ark, "cough" ark "cough", another astronomical observatory. You can clearly see how the scribes got it all wrong.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:19 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
The latest teachings are that what is now known as The Ark was in fact the rocker box of Noah's Almighty Dob build. Noah's problem was that the 100,000mm f/6.66 mirror, which was sitting out the back waiting to be installed was creating its own weather through massive heat convection with its focal point producing superheated air half a mile up. It was this weather that forced him to reconfigure. As for the Almighty Dob project - it had its name modified slightly, its content changed completely, and became a hobby for the masses.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:05 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
The latest teachings are that what is now known as The Ark was in fact the rocker box of Noah's Almighty Dob build. Noah's problem was that the 100,000mm f/6.66 mirror, which was sitting out the back waiting to be installed was creating its own weather through massive heat convection with its focal point producing superheated air half a mile up. It was this weather that forced him to reconfigure. As for the Almighty Dob project - it had its name modified slightly, its content changed completely, and became a hobby for the masses.
They say you learn something new every day

It's typical though. I'm expecting new eyepieces next week, so of course the forecast says cloud/rain/thunderstorms all week.