Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy > Observation Reports
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2024, 11:27 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Saturn Daytime Observation

Hi fellow observers.

This a quite a brief observation report, but a significant one for me, I just got my first ever observation of Saturn during the day!

Using the waxing crescent moon as my guide at 9am local time in a blue sky and the sun shining I brought out my 10 inch dob to attempt this observation. Saturn lay 1° 20' away from the crescent moon. I centred my dob on the moon and plucked in my 9mm APM 100° eyepiece which gives me a TFOV of 45' then started slowly sweeping away from the moon in the direction of Saturn. After a couple of minutes scanning blue sky I was ready to give up when, lo!, there it was! A beautiful pale ghostly orb floating in blue sky, Saturn! It's rings are almost edge on now.

This marks the third planet I've seen during the day, after Venus and Jupiter. What a lovely, ghostly sight! Now to try for Mars in the daytime next!

Clear Skies
Joe
Old 04-05-2024, 01:43 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Great result, Joe.

Your report brought back very similar memories for me using my 140 refractor several years ago. I had exactly the same experience. About to give up and then suddenly it appeared in full view. From memory my daylight observations of Saturn were closer to Saturn's opposition, so it was marginally brighter and easier to observe with a smaller aperture.

Another day time project I have had some success with is chasing close planetary conjunctions. These are often reported as night time conjunctions for ease of observation. On a couple of occasions I have found the closest approach occurs during daylight hours and have targeted these.
Old 04-05-2024, 03:45 PM
LonelySpoon (Neville)

Well done Joe!

I used to teach a unit on Daytime Astronomy, showing planets, the sun, the moon and two brightest stars. Teachers and kids alike amazed that the stuff was still up there during daytime.

I had one child who flatly refused to believe that the Moon came out in the daytime, not even when it was pointed out to her by her father.

She's probably gone on to become a flat earther by now...

Neville
LSO
Old 04-05-2024, 07:18 PM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Thanks Steve and Neville.

There is something special observing a planet in broad daylight. They take on a ghostly, etherical appearance
Old 05-05-2024, 09:17 AM
glend (Glen)

I recall a few years ago, I observed Saturn being occluded by the Moon in daylight. It was a great sight to see, with Saturn appearing to dive into the Moon, only to reappear after transiting behind it. A great assistant to planning this can be obtained from Sky Safari.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:35 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I recall a few years ago, I observed Saturn being occluded by the Moon in daylight. It was a great sight to see, with Saturn appearing to dive into the Moon, only to reappear after transiting behind it. A great assistant to planning this can be obtained from Sky Safari.
Yes, that was a memorable event. I missed the re-appearance by about 45 seconds due to some pesky fast moving cloud.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:53 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Wow, that must have been an awesome sight Glen d
Old 06-05-2024, 12:19 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Great observation, well done!
It does look neat in a blue sky.
Old 06-05-2024, 09:17 PM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Great observation, well done!
It does look neat in a blue sky.
Thanks Mirko.

It was a breathtaking observation for sure, now to try for Mars one day
Old 07-05-2024, 10:39 AM
Dave882 (David)

Great stuff! I’ve had a few daylight planetary sessions but not for some years I’m keen to have another crack thanks for he inspiration!!
Old 07-05-2024, 06:36 PM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave882 View Post
Great stuff! I’ve had a few daylight planetary sessions but not for some years I’m keen to have another crack thanks for he inspiration!!
Thanks David. It is so fascinating seeing a planet floating in the blue daytime sky.

I hope another opportunity presents itself to you soon!