Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2015, 03:14 PM
kkara4 (Krishan)

Jupiter 17/4/15

Despite the poor seeing i am slowly getting a hang of processing and capturing and collimating to suit the atmospheric conditions, so I am very pleased with what I was able to capture on this night. Again I had to process the moons separately, but Io's shadow remained intact throughout processing.

Oval BA can be seen along with Callisto and Io's shadow in transit. Io's shadow is a little distorted due to the seeing (aside from the elongation of the shadow from the Earth, Sun, Jupiter phase angle).

Big delay in processing this one because I was waiting for a rainy day to do it lol.

Edge HD 925, QHY5L-ii @ f/4- something, 3000 frames total per channel infrared longpass, Green, Blue.

I haven't figured out how to display my images at the proper image scale on the forum yet - they are fine when opened with Windows photo viewer???
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jupiter_17Apr15_Final1_Comp.jpg)
89.5 KB66 views
Old 05-05-2015, 09:55 PM
oernulfs (Ørnulf)

Very nice image. Lots of details.

I use a C9.25 (not the edge.....) myself, but I continously struggle with the seeing and focus....

Anyway, impressive result
Old 06-05-2015, 06:44 AM
kkara4 (Krishan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oernulfs View Post
Very nice image. Lots of details.

I use a C9.25 (not the edge.....) myself, but I continously struggle with the seeing and focus....

Anyway, impressive result
Thankyou Ornulf - what camera are you using and do you have a feathertouch or similar for your focuser?
Old 06-05-2015, 08:51 PM
oernulfs (Ørnulf)

Hi. I am using a dbk 21 color cam. I have a Lakeside focuser on a Baader steel track, so I have all possibilities for finding a decent focus.

I am working with several captured movies and I will post some images in a short while (that is not a threat....)

My experience from my observation site in the soyth east corner of Norway is that the seeing is quite often bad, makin collimation "on screen" quite difficult, because the airy disk pattern on screen is difficult to "read".
Old 08-05-2015, 09:32 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Beautiful mate, well done love transits
Old 08-05-2015, 10:08 AM
kkara4 (Krishan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oernulfs View Post
Hi. I am using a dbk 21 color cam. I have a Lakeside focuser on a Baader steel track, so I have all possibilities for finding a decent focus.

I am working with several captured movies and I will post some images in a short while (that is not a threat....)

My experience from my observation site in the soyth east corner of Norway is that the seeing is quite often bad, makin collimation "on screen" quite difficult, because the airy disk pattern on screen is difficult to "read".
Ornulf, use metaguide with Peak stacking method, 20 frame stacking (10 is default, 20 allows better collimation in fair seeing). If bad seeing dont bother, but I can collimate on 50% of nights instead of only being able to do so on the so far non existant perfect seeing nights.

Infrared filter makes it even easier.

So far every time I have collimated except for a good seeing night, has been with the Airy disk destroyed by seeing. Metaguide works wonders!
Old 08-05-2015, 10:09 AM
kkara4 (Krishan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Beautiful mate, well done love transits
Thanks Dunk! They are certainly something special