#1  
Old 31-12-2018, 02:49 PM
Outcast's Avatar
Outcast (Carlton)
Still a Noob....

Outcast is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cairns, Qld
Posts: 465
Skywatcher Star Adventurer Questions

Hi there,

I'm looking at a bunch of options to mount a Lunt 60mm Ha/PT scope... According to Lunt, this scope weighs in at 8.8lbs (4kg).

I've been looking at the Skywatcher Star Adventurer, mainly for it's versatility, in that I could use it to mount my DSLR for wide field shots & maybe later on get a light weight refractor for some deep sky stuff...

Budget is a massive factor, I know I can get a cheap push to Alt/Az to do the job with the Lunt but, as I said, this little rig looks extremely versatile.

What I want to know is what is the heaviest rig anyone has setup on one of these & how did it perform?

Anyone used on for a 60mm solar scope before?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 31-12-2018, 04:35 PM
RyanJones
Registered User

RyanJones is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 664
Hi Carton,

I eyeballed the star adventurer for a while too. I seemed like it would be a good EQ entry but the more I thought about it, the more I just couldn't bring myself to buy one. As you know, I've been keenly watching you starting in the relms of AP. My advice to you would be to save a little and buy yourself a HEQ5 Pro or similar. You can use it for the Lunt and for your 8" SCT. I know you said price is a factor and I totally respect that what I'm talking about is twice the price. I just think it's going to be better for you in the long run that's all.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 31-12-2018, 05:52 PM
Outcast's Avatar
Outcast (Carlton)
Still a Noob....

Outcast is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cairns, Qld
Posts: 465
Thanks Ryan,

I almost got hold of a HEQ5 Pro with a Rowan (I think that's it) belt mod for $550 but, unfortunately someone beat me to it by literally minutes...

I have the Lunt arriving very soon & all I have for it at present is a Manfrotto ART190 with 3 way head which, I'm not convinced is going to be very satisfactory...

I've just had a look at an Ioptron MT Pro that a chap has for sale up here at a price in my range. I'm in contact with a guy in NZ who makes a wedge for these, it will also happily carry my Meade OTA...

I'm not a patient guy ... but, I know if I can just hangon for a bit longer something will come along...

Cheers

Carlton

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
Hi Carton,

I eyeballed the star adventurer for a while too. I seemed like it would be a good EQ entry but the more I thought about it, the more I just couldn't bring myself to buy one. As you know, I've been keenly watching you starting in the relms of AP. My advice to you would be to save a little and buy yourself a HEQ5 Pro or similar. You can use it for the Lunt and for your 8" SCT. I know you said price is a factor and I totally respect that what I'm talking about is twice the price. I just think it's going to be better for you in the long run that's all.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 31-12-2018, 06:59 PM
RyanJones
Registered User

RyanJones is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 664
I know the pain Carton. I purchased a newt off a friend on here before I had a mount that would carry it and literally the next day 2 HEQ5s came on here at about that price then sold within hours. Luckily my missus came to my rescue just before Christmas and bought me one brand new. She is like us, she doesn't like to wait so she understood too. Needles to say I'm a very happy and lucky man. I would try and wait on this one though Carlton, purely because the right mount will be a long term investment for you. Especially with your AP work.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 31-12-2018, 07:13 PM
Outcast's Avatar
Outcast (Carlton)
Still a Noob....

Outcast is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cairns, Qld
Posts: 465
Cheers

Sadly my wife is not quite so understanding... although, she did reluctantly let me purchase the Lunt...

Cheers

Carlton

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
I know the pain Carton. I purchased a newt off a friend on here before I had a mount that would carry it and literally the next day 2 HEQ5s came on here at about that price then sold within hours. Luckily my missus came to my rescue just before Christmas and bought me one brand new. She is like us, she doesn't like to wait so she understood too. Needles to say I'm a very happy and lucky man. I would try and wait on this one though Carlton, purely because the right mount will be a long term investment for you. Especially with your AP work.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-01-2019, 09:46 AM
Retrograde's Avatar
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Retrograde is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 939
What about that Vixen SP with SynScan upgrade that's in the classifieds?

I have a Vixen SP that I purchased in 1985 for Halley's Comet which sat unused for well over 20 years yet worked perfectly when I dragged it out & started using it around 2011. I was able to get round stars with unguided 1-minute exposures through my ED102 triplet that weighs 5.5kgs for the OTA alone. It's still a light weight mount and you can easily pick up the equatorial head in one hand.

The only thing that stopped me upgrading mine is that I originally purchased mine without a dec motor (and associated dec motor bracket which seems impossible to find).

*Disclaimer - I don't know anything about the particular unit in the classifieds or how well the EQ5 synscan upgrade works on these. Just thought it's something worth considering that might be a good alternative to the Star Adventurer.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-01-2019, 09:56 AM
Outcast's Avatar
Outcast (Carlton)
Still a Noob....

Outcast is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cairns, Qld
Posts: 465
Thanks Pete,

Just took a closer look at that & you are correct, inline with what I originally posted below would definitely be an option.

But, I've decided to bite the bullet & try & future proof myself a little more.

I am now on the look out for a reasonably priced secondhand HEQ5 Pro or HEQ6 Pro...

Just gonna have to be super patient I think..

Cheers for the advice though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
What about that Vixen SP with SynScan upgrade that's in the classifieds?

I have a Vixen SP that I purchased in 1985 for Halley's Comet which sat unused for well over 20 years yet worked perfectly when I dragged it out & started using it around 2011. I was able to get round stars with unguided 1-minute exposures through my ED102 triplet that weighs 5.5kgs for the OTA alone. It's still a light weight mount and you can easily pick up the equatorial head in one hand.

The only thing that stopped me upgrading mine is that I originally purchased mine without a dec motor (and associated dec motor bracket which seems impossible to find).

*Disclaimer - I don't know anything about the particular unit in the classifieds or how well the EQ5 synscan upgrade works on these. Just thought it's something worth considering that might be a good alternative to the Star Adventurer.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-01-2019, 09:58 AM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 12,184
Hi Carlton
I would also suggest to think of getting a HEQ5.

It is a wonderful mount for the money... start thinking of the reasons why you should get one rather than putting it in the too hard basket.

The sky adventurer is great but its what you get afyer you get your main mount...I wanted one but sortted an old mount with the magnificent help of Bojan to take just a camera ...for grab and go widefields...this is still a work in progress.

If it is about the money just start saving...set twenty a week aside and that has one in a year...sell some stuff...whatever...but all I can say is and it has been said before ...get the best mount then consider the scope...in any event life is shorter than you think and it wont be that long before you wont be able to do any of this.

I had a close call with death...well it was only heat stroke and I could not move but I really thought that I was dying .... well the experience made me realise that if you want something just get it...stop buying coffee or beer or something maybe....

But I have been watching your efforts and can see that you would like to do more...and believe me it is so satisfying and just such fun.

I cant advise how to manage the wife as mine left when I bought the 12 inch instead of a new fridge...
Alex
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Outcast's Avatar
Outcast (Carlton)
Still a Noob....

Outcast is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cairns, Qld
Posts: 465
Thanks Alex,

Yeah, I've pretty much decided that's the route I will go..

It's a bit of overkill for the Lunt solar scope but, it opens up many, many options for the future should I wish to pursue more AP.

I've figured out with the help of some comments on here & some PM's that HEQ5 would be a worthwhile investment...

I'm trying to track down one secondhand, just missed out on one the other week (literally by minutes) & I am on the trail of a couple of others locally, otherwise, as you say... just start saving. Patience is a virtue they say... I'm perhaps not that virtuous...

Cheers Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Hi Carlton
I would also suggest to think of getting a HEQ5.

It is a wonderful mount for the money... start thinking of the reasons why you should get one rather than putting it in the too hard basket.

The sky adventurer is great but its what you get afyer you get your main mount...I wanted one but sortted an old mount with the magnificent help of Bojan to take just a camera ...for grab and go widefields...this is still a work in progress.

If it is about the money just start saving...set twenty a week aside and that has one in a year...sell some stuff...whatever...but all I can say is and it has been said before ...get the best mount then consider the scope...in any event life is shorter than you think and it wont be that long before you wont be able to do any of this.

I had a close call with death...well it was only heat stroke and I could not move but I really thought that I was dying .... well the experience made me realise that if you want something just get it...stop buying coffee or beer or something maybe....

But I have been watching your efforts and can see that you would like to do more...and believe me it is so satisfying and just such fun.

I cant advise how to manage the wife as mine left when I bought the 12 inch instead of a new fridge...
Alex
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-01-2019, 10:16 AM
xelasnave's Avatar
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

xelasnave is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tabulam
Posts: 12,184
I Iike new but the reality for a mount is that you will need to pull it down anyways...my new one needs a pull down.

Just ask your wife...should I get the HEQ5 or go for a EQ6 and go with the one she picks☺

Good luck.

At first you start to think you are crazy spending the sort of money that we do but its not crazy...

I notice you play bass...maybe join a rock band and make some cash.

Alex
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-01-2019, 11:58 PM
Outcast's Avatar
Outcast (Carlton)
Still a Noob....

Outcast is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cairns, Qld
Posts: 465
LOL, you always crack me up Alex (In a good way I assure you)...

Mate, I'm already at risk of my wife putting out a contract... something about a solar scope... money we don't have... etc...

I don't think we are crazy at all... (not sure my wife agrees however), just wish (probably like all of us) that I had a few more readies to throw around...

Working on the bass player in a band bit, got a bit of work to do but, hopefully will be happening sometime this year.. then comes the conundrum of more astro gear vs more bass gear... all equally expensive for quality stuff..

Picked up a couple of focal reducers cheap tonight... f6.3 has a scratch on it close to the outer edge... I knew this but, took a gamble anyways... will see whether or not I wasted a very small amount of cash once we get some clear skies... got an Baader OIII filter & an f3.3 reducer in the mix for a good package price so, nothing too much lost if the f6.3 causes any issues.

Cheer & Happy New Year to you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I Iike new but the reality for a mount is that you will need to pull it down anyways...my new one needs a pull down.

Just ask your wife...should I get the HEQ5 or go for a EQ6 and go with the one she picks☺

Good luck.

At first you start to think you are crazy spending the sort of money that we do but its not crazy...

I notice you play bass...maybe join a rock band and make some cash.

Alex
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-01-2019, 01:40 PM
Retrograde's Avatar
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Retrograde is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Thanks Pete,

Just took a closer look at that & you are correct, inline with what I originally posted below would definitely be an option.

But, I've decided to bite the bullet & try & future proof myself a little more.

I am now on the look out for a reasonably priced secondhand HEQ5 Pro or HEQ6 Pro...

Just gonna have to be super patient I think..

Cheers for the advice though
All good. A HEQ5 or an NEQ6 are both solid choices and there are a heap of users around so you can always get help with me nor issues along the way.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-01-2019, 02:15 PM
Outcast's Avatar
Outcast (Carlton)
Still a Noob....

Outcast is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cairns, Qld
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
All good. A HEQ5 or an NEQ6 are both solid choices and there are a heap of users around so you can always get help with me nor issues along the way.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 09:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
Celestron Australia
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement