Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 11:04 AM
saturn c (Leo)
reliable rubber!

latitude setting on a heq5 german equatorial mount

Quick question .

I live in brisbane the latitude is 27.5 degrees. Do i set that on the latitude setting or do i set (90-27.5)= 62.5 Degrees.

thanks
Old 08-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Okay, let’s see if I can answer this one without stuffing up. Bear in mind I have never seen a heq5.

The goal is to make sure your polar axis is pointing at the South Celestial Pole. This ensures that the polar axis is parallel to the Earth's axis of rotation, which is crucial for long exposure astrophotography, but just more of a nice convenience for visual observing.

If the heq5 is a traditional German Equatorial Mount and the Latitude scale runs from 0 deg (Horizontal) to 90 deg (Vertical) then you should set the scale to your actual Latitude.

From a previous post, wedges as used on fork mounted SCT’s require that you set the wedge altitude scale to 90-Latitude. This means that the base of the mount is also at an angle of 90-Latitude, which ensures that the fork tines point to the SCP.

Does the heq5 have a built in polar alignment scope?

Cheers

Dennis
Old 08-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Davelrkn

Hi Dennis
The HEQ5 comes standard with polar scope
Have been looking into the HEQ5 or the EQ6
I know you going to ask what about the Vixen but will most likely sell it as I am in the selling mood.Just sold the 16'' or should say gave it away sold it roughly for the price of a 12''

Dave
Old 08-07-2006, 09:31 PM
alandee
I hate streetlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis
Okay, let’s see if I can answer this one without stuffing up.
good one .. You were very helpful.

SaturnC you can always double check and also check the accuracy of your mount with a protractor and cutting a quick cardboard template at 27.5deg. The axis of your scope should match at the end of the day.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:00 PM
saturn c (Leo)
reliable rubber!

thanks peoples
Old 09-07-2006, 06:27 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Here's my HEQ5 set to Brisbane lattitude.

It's been alinged exactly using the polar scope so you'll notice that it reads 30 degrees! I've seen some of those end caps put on pretty badly, so it's only an aproximation.

I put mine in exactly the same place each time (I've marked the drive) and I get fantastic tracking results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSCN3938 (Medium).JPG)
79.2 KB32 views
Old 10-07-2006, 01:46 PM
JimmyH155

pointing the scope

Yes, the only way to accurately line up your scope is to put in in the exact same place every session. I have done this by accurately aligning first then down to the hardware shop for a bag of ready made concrete. Then, being very careful, lift each leg of the tripod up, scoop out a good few trowellfulls of soil (assume it is the lawn!!) and replace with mixed up concrete. level up the scope when you have made a little dent in it with the leg, and wait to harden. Repeat with other 2 feet. I have got 2 of these constructions at strategic locations in the garden depending on what trees I wish to avoid.
HINT Send wife to hairdresser so she doesn't see you cutting large holes in the grass. It works a treat.