Old 17-11-2020, 05:02 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

Wavelets in registax

I’ve been looking at the tutorials online for wavelets in registax6 and find so many variations on what to do confusing. I have in the past just used the wavelet sliders to sharpen an image. However with the added complexity of the sharpen and Denoise boxes am after some guidance. Some users suggest starting with the second level , but I’m not sure how far to move the slider before adjusting the sharpening ? I’m looking at the planets at present and need some guidance.
Where do I start?
Do I use all the wavelets 1-6 ?
How far do I go with the sliders?
Do I denoise after each sharpening?

These are some of the questions , regards philip
Old 17-11-2020, 05:39 PM
Saturn488

I never use wavelets in Registax. I always do my processing in Photoshop and PixInsight.
Old 17-11-2020, 06:09 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

It is a little confusing, some people say the 1st and 2nd sliders don't do much ( I disagree ) and others say that 5 & 6 don't do much, so who to believe.
Personally I use all 6 Wavelet sliders and move them about 25 / 30% and up 1 level, shows 110 in the little box at the end of each wavelet bar. Too much sharpening and you introduce more noise so a little de-noise doesn't hurt. Apart from that , a little Red & Blue Align may be necessary if you notice some colour fringing.
You can always experiment with the sliders and levels and see what effects the different settings have on the image and if you don't like the results can always re-set and try different settings.
Then you can move the image to whatever photo processing software that you have to adjust the colours, contrast and brightness.
Hope that helps in some way.
Old 17-11-2020, 08:05 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Philip,
I treat the wavelets in terms of pixel tweaking.
#5, #6 seem to work on larger areas (5-6 pixel) and help correct poor seeing.
As you move into the #1 and #2 you're dealing with 1-2 pixel wide tweaks and generally have to be "more delicate"
More recently I've moved from Registax over to Imppg which I feel gives even better results.
Old 17-11-2020, 08:46 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Yes there are numerous YouTube clips on Registax 6, however I found one quite useful in its step by step procedure and explanation on each function -

“Planetary Imaging Registax 6 Wavelets Left side tab and Right side tab” by wwgeb

Here’s my Registax 6 procedure I put together a year ago following the above YouTube clips which I use for planetary and lunar imaging after I stack my images in Autostakkert 3.
I seem to get fairly good results from year to year with a basic 6” and 8” newt and DSLR, but at the end of the day planetary imaging is all about focal ratio, atmospheric conditions and “lucky imaging” techniques

Registax 6 - Wavelet Sharpening and Processing
NB: Not using Registax 6 Stacking process. Image already stacked in Autostakkert 3.

1/ Open Registax 6 on Laptop or PC
2/ Press “Select” and load your 16bit stacked image from Autostakkert 3
3/ Click on “Wavelet” tab and image will load into Registax 6 window view

LEFT SIDE CONTROL PANEL
4/ Select “Linear” and make sure “Step Increment” is set to 0.Leave “ Initial Layer” to 1 or 2
5/ “Automatic” check box is used if you want to see your changes instantly rather than use “Do All” tab and wait.”Automatic” is best left unchecked and use “Do All” tab.
6/ Leave “Hold Wavelet Setting” unchecked
7/ Leave “Used Link Wavelets” unchecked as this is not required
8/ Denoise and Sharpen feature has 6 sliders numbered Layer 1 to Layer 6. Layer 1 is for the small features in the image and Layer 2 upwards are for the larger features in the image. An image with poor detail or poor resolution due to seeing conditions etc... or high SNR will require say Layer 2 or 3 and upwards to achieve any result. An image with good detail will only require say Layer 1,2 and 3 to achieve a result. In any case adjust sliders to produce the desired result
9/ “Available Schemes” leave this section blank as it controls how the sliders behave

RIGHT SIDE CONTROL PANEL
1/ “Histogram” button usually left as default
2/ “RGB Balance” button click “Auto Balance” tab
3/ “RGB Align” button is used to align the colour across the whole object. Once opened press the “Show Area” button and drag the green box around the object then press the “Estimate” tab. The RGB align is then processed automatically
4/ “Gamma” button is used to brighten or darken various parts of the object depending on the way or direction you bend the curve on the graph
5/ “De noise and De ringing” button is used to reduce shadows or fuzz in parts of the image
6/ All remaining buttons perform various colour control and sharpening to the image , so try them.
7/ Brightness and Contrast sliders control the amount of brightness, contrast across the object
8/ Remember to press “Do All” after each adjustment or function
9/ When final image has been processed to desired taste press “Save Image” tab and save image as a tiff or jpeg file to a folder in your nominated location on Laptop or PC.

Cheers
Old 18-11-2020, 07:31 AM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

Thanks for all the information, it will definitely enable to go forward with more confidence.
Regards philip