Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2018, 11:44 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Dunkirk was incredible at the cinema. Again, the cinematography and the audio was superb.

H
Old 07-03-2018, 12:17 PM
Visionary (David)

I was tempted to see the film, x1000 thanks for the review. I doubt I would last the 30min you did.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:59 PM
doppler (Rick)

I didn't think it was that bad, a tad fairy tailey for me but if you don't take it too seriously has some entertaining parts.

It's pretty obvious from the start that the mute girl is not quite human herself after seeing the scars on her neck (from healed up gills)

"THE SHAPE OF WATER - an other-worldly fairy tale, set against the backdrop of Cold War era America circa 1962."
Old 07-03-2018, 02:04 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I begrudgingly finished it.

Still a Meh film with some odd overtones, and NOT del Torro's best despite what he says. I am not exactly enamoured with it.

The actor's playing the Russians were absolutely laughable - my wife sat there and just about sprayed the screen with coffee. The accents and pronunciations were THAT bad (especially the KGB chief - sounded more Albanian than even remotely Russian. The operative himself was at least almost understandable - my wife had to read the English subs to understand what they meant!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
Old 07-03-2018, 02:45 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I begrudgingly finished it.

Still a Meh film with some odd overtones, and NOT del Torro's best despite what he says. I am not exactly enamoured with it.

The actor's playing the Russians were absolutely laughable - my wife sat there and just about sprayed the screen with coffee. The accents and pronunciations were THAT bad (especially the KGB chief - sounded more Albanian than even remotely Russian. The operative himself was at least almost understandable - my wife had to read the English subs to understand what they meant!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
Hollywood pidgin used instead of actual foreign languages has a long tradition and should be a comedic genre in its own right. Sure makes for some entertaining viewing
Old 07-03-2018, 03:54 PM
inertia8 (Australia)

Thanks for the heads up on tsow.

Dunkirk I watched in a cinema in NZ and at the time of watching it, my feeling was the chopping of the timelines felt all over the place, scenes from the ground showing lots of boats, scenes from the air not so many, yet enough references to feel they represented the same scene from differing perspectives. Felt incongruent.

I'll rewatch it and take my time and seem if I get the same impression. There was something else that had me peeved but can't remember.

Overall positive tho.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:47 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post

If you speak the lingo it makes you laugh for sure. There's a scene in Iron man 2 after the Monaco grand prix where Tony Stark utters a few French words to a cop when he goes visit the bady in the brig played by Mickey Rourke. It just doesn't make any sense. Even after a few ports.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:19 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi

I've just got back from seeing it, I and my better half found it both intriguing and entertaining!

The overall feel of it reminded me City of Lost Children.

Philip