Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-05-2020, 10:39 AM
etill (Elliot)

M42 HDR reprocess

This is a first attempt at an HDR composition in PI. I went through all the old data and grouped all of my M42 subs into exposure length and ISO, then preprocessed each before doing and HDR integration.

All of the data is from my Canon 60D during the earlier part of the year before modification and sensor temperatures were anywhere from 26 to 30+.

After tossing any subs that had any issues I ended up with
10 x 60s
88 x 30s
58 x 20s
30 x 10s

Matching darks were still sitting with the 60 and 30s subs, none for 20 and 10 since they were more for testing when I took them. Flats for all stacks.

I see why photographers spend the money on high end monitors now, the difference between a Mac / retina screen and my linux machine with a regular monitor is night and day when trying to work with high dynamic range. I could clearly see the trap much earlier on in the processing on my mac. I had to really push it to see it at all on the regular monitor.

I think this process would benefit from the addition of much longer exposures to capture more of the faint nebulosity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M42.jpg)
179.6 KB49 views
Old 31-05-2020, 11:20 AM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

Very nice Elliot.
Chris
Old 31-05-2020, 12:16 PM
carlstronomy (Carl)

Looking nice more data will certainly make this pop, great work on the trapezium
Old 31-05-2020, 12:41 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Looks like a good collection of data. I just tried adding some ha filter and oiii filter on a colour camera as well as the straight colour and that seemed to work. Colour is a little different but more wispy Nebulosity.
Old 31-05-2020, 01:36 PM
etill (Elliot)

Thanks for the comments everyone, hopefully now I've pushed enough of the buttons in the software to see what they do I can pick a target and collect the right amount of data.

This was also all collected prior to modifying the Canon and without any light pollution or contrast type filters. I'd love to go back and see the difference with the modifications done and the L-pro, it made a big difference with the carina nebula. Guess I'll need to wait unitl next time around though.

It's also a bit of trial and error for the processing, most of the info I found was to do with narrowband / monochrome imaging. I'm not actually sure if I should colour calibrate each stack before the HDR composition, or if the HSV repair script should be before or after the colour calibration. I have a feeling a lot of what looks like detail in the nebulosity is noise that the HDR processing has exposed.

I'd be interested in any suggestions if someone has experience with OSC data and this type of processing.