Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-07-2019, 09:09 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
I agree generally about beginners posting more images. Less words as Jeremy suggests and more pictures with description of methods of capture. Perhaps what is really required is another section called Beginners Discussion and so all the extraneous words can be posted there.
I can do more pictures but I am cursed with rambling on and on.

Alex
Old 26-07-2019, 11:57 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I'm 10 years now into AP, and I can tell you, my images are still carp, but I don't care - it's the joy of getting out under the stars and doing it. I have a maximum of 8 hrs on a target, and always think I'll get more, but never do Just the fact I have imaged it is usually enough.

If you make this hobby for YOU, and forget the opinions, derision or criticism of others, you'll enjoy it a heck of a lot more. I don't even pretend to believe my images are good, and I still chuck them in the Deep Space forum just for giggles
Old 26-07-2019, 03:06 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Lewis,
Your pics aren’t carp mate! If I were to choose a fish to describe then a rainbow trout comes to mind- slick, plenty of colour and detail. Hehehe.
Anth
Old 26-07-2019, 04:21 PM
Sconesbie (Scott)

I'll second your thoughts Alex. The first pic I posted here, some nice person took the liberty of "touching" them up for me. I was most appreciative and of course, had no objection. He gave me some tips too. I don't have a camera on my scope but the ones I took were simply DSLR pointing to a dark sky. I'm thankful and still to the day, show people the original one and then the enhanced one.
Old 26-07-2019, 05:22 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am so excited that so many folk understand where I am coming from and I certainly hope there are new people reading all this and gaining confidence to post their early efforts.
Thanks to everyone.
Let the world know that Icenspace is a wonderful place to publish early days..er early nights...photos.
It is so wonderful to hear the many possible experiences being shared here.

Alex
Old 26-07-2019, 10:31 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

I certainly understand where you are coming from Alex. Like some others, I feel like the eternal beginner and my gear is not uber-high grade (except my camera, but its only OSC). In fact I haven't posted anything for ages. I've got half a dozen images that I've been processing, reprocessing and agonising over for a few months now.

The thing I like about the beginners forum is that everyones' threads get commented on. And I like it that there mainly seems to be encouragment and constructive criticism. This makes it the ideal place for beginners like all of us. So I like to post both here and that other place.
Old 26-07-2019, 10:40 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Perhaps we sometimes forget that you don't need £000's of gear to take astro images, here is one taken with a 6Mp Canon DSLR EOS10D with 18mm wide angle lens on a chair
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (great b.jpg)
40.6 KB33 views
Old 27-07-2019, 08:19 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

I don’t know, that was pretty concise and to the point. Perhaps a lot more people than you realise look at the images and appreciate your brief words of encouragement without posting themselves. So it helps that you keep it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I can do more pictures but I am cursed with rambling on and on.

Alex
Old 27-07-2019, 08:56 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Ray for your kind encouragement. I can almost hear those who I irritate saying ...oh please don't encourage him��.

Still I certainly hope my efforts and my accounts of how even at an old age with an motivation destroying condition should be no reason not to do your best.

I have a philosophy of being kind and encouraging to all I meet in the real world..particularly those folk who are invisible to most..the check out girls, the shopping centre cleaners...the guys who round up the trolleys...and it is so rewarding...to go to the shopping centre and have a guy in a turbine introduce his new co worker with pride that he knows me...the occassions where the waiter at a coffee shop brings me a sandwich and says...this one is on the house...to be in hospital and have even the doctors like you because you have treated them as delicate humans.
When I had my operation the tea ladies would bring me savoury biscuits with cheese when everyone else got two milk arroroots...and I swear that I got meals that were destined for the Superintendent ��.

One only has to look at all the sad faces in the croud to know that I little praise is much needed.

I see it this way..I have been extremely fortunate with parents who never pressured me to win and told me that all they xpected was for me to do my best and that single thing actually allowed me to win every competition I ever went in...I translate doing my best to near die trying but feel no pressure to succeed...funny really.

And be kind to all creatures..little spiders , the humble fly even things that bite and one can let them annoy you such that you casually lash out and kill them...don't be the one to take their short existence away from them.

And I do love this place and all the wonderful people so I try to help in the only way that I know how.

Alex
Old 27-07-2019, 09:03 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
Perhaps we sometimes forget that you don't need £000's of gear to take astro images, here is one taken with a 6Mp Canon DSLR EOS10D with 18mm wide angle lens on a chair
Yes..but Jeremy you are a professional photographer...and you have a chair

Please post details of your chair in the "show us your equipment" thread.

Good on you Mate.

Thanks for getting involved it is good that you do..not only this but for all your helpful posts.

Alex
Old 28-07-2019, 10:38 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Well said Alex. I think Ryan and Carlton summed it up perfectly. Personally I've never once felt discouraged or offended by any posts here, if anything it's the complete opposite. I get just as much enjoyment from seeing the images produced by others as I do with my own. We're very fortunate to have a wealth of knowledge on here that can get anyone from A to B no matter what level they think they're at. Happy imaging!
Old 29-07-2019, 08:33 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

More sections? Less I say! Posts are whatever they are, no need to create a level hierarchy to cater to egos.