Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2015, 01:58 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Orion Nebula

I finally had a chance to go out early this morning and check out the Orion Nebula. It's the first time my telescope has been used in at least 2 months and the firsy nebula I have seen. I actually went past it four times because I just assumed it was a bit of fuzzy glare. Was I mistaken in expecting it to be brighter than what it was? I live in town (a population of roughly 4000ish) so maybe I would have been going somewhere with darker skies. What are other people's experiences with these things?

I would like to find Eta Carina tonight, but now I don't know what to look for.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:33 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

As your experience builds things will seem brighter.
Make sure your eyes are dark adapted and no light is nearby, use a hood if anything is interfering.
As to EC follow the milky way south it's in there somewhere.
You may not find it but you will see many objects .
But take your time and many interesting objects will appear.
Use low power eye piece and change up when you find something.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:54 PM
BeanerSA (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliGoatsGruff View Post
I spent a week going straight past the Carina Nebula, the problem being that it is nearly 3 degrees across. Use your lowest power eyepiece, and maybe look at some sketches before you go hunting.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:36 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanerSA View Post
I spent a week going straight past the Carina Nebula, the problem being that it is nearly 3 degrees across. Use your lowest power eyepiece, and maybe look at some sketches before you go hunting.
I have a 42mm ep that will probably do the trick. There's so much going on in the milky way so if I can't find carina then I should stumble on something else to keep me busy.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:55 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Definitely darker moonless skies help a lot.

To Find Eta Carina:
Look at the Southern Cross (naked eye)
Draw a line from Beta Crux through Epsilon Crux, then almost three and a half times that span again.
you will see a brighter patch of nebulosity within the milky way.
That is it.
Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (southern-cross-and-pointers.jpg)
100.3 KB26 views

Last edited by Allan_L; 18-09-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:12 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Perhaps check out post #16 in this excellent thread by Alexander?
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ghlight=sketch
Old 12-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Gvarouha (George)

Try using you peripheral vision to look at your target. Takes a bit of getting used to but when you master it everything looks a lot brighter
Old 12-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Also try using your finder scope... both the Orion nebula and Eta Carina are quite bright enough in direct vision to be identified in a small aperture.
Old 14-09-2015, 01:58 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Also try using your finder scope... both the Orion nebula and Eta Carina are quite bright enough in direct vision to be identified in a small aperture.
I don't actually own a finder scope. I bought a pair of second-hand binoculars, but there's something wrong with them. I collimated (?) both sides and still get this weird rainbow starburst when I look through them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvarouha View Post
Try using you peripheral vision to look at your target. Takes a bit of getting used to but when you master it everything looks a lot brighter
I'm slowly learning to use my peripheral vision. It seems to be an art all of its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Perhaps check out post #16 in this excellent thread by Alexander?
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ghlight=sketch
Alexander is a master of sketching. His drawings make me wish I had at least a drop of artistic talent. They've helped me out a bit, as opposed to using the Hubble inages for comparison.

It looks like we're in for cloudy nights for a while longer now, so when the skies clear up I'll head back out and give it another go.
Old 14-09-2015, 02:12 PM
raymo

I don't know if you've mentioned it somewhere on these threads, but what scope do you have, and how come it doesn't have a finder scope?
Finding objects is very difficult without one, as the eyepiece field of
view is so narrow.
raymo
Old 14-09-2015, 02:18 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
I don't know if you've mentioned it somewhere on these threads, but what scope do you have, and how come it doesn't have a finder scope?
Finding objects is very difficult without one, as the eyepiece field of
view is so narrow.
raymo
I have a Skywatcher heritage 130p. I didn't know that having a fider scope was such a big deal to be honest. Nobody has ever mentiond it's importance before now
Old 14-09-2015, 02:42 PM
glend (Glen)

Eta Carinea is gettng pretty low now, why nof look direcly overhead at about 8pm where you can find the vast stream of the Sagitarius star cloud and Milky Way. The Lagoon Nebula can easily be seen by naked eye and then you can hop the scope along to thr Trifud, Swan and Eagle nebulae.

God luck.
Old 14-09-2015, 02:47 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Eta Carinea is gettng pretty low now, why nof look direcly overhead at about 8pm where you can find the vast stream of the Sagitarius star cloud and Milky Way. The Lagoon Nebula can easily be seen by naked eye and then you can hop the scope along to thr Trifud, Swan and Eagle nebulae.

God luck.
I found out last night that it's sitting just behind our shed, so I'll have to wait until it comes back around to look. There were some things up high that I noticed from the corner of my eye, possibly nebulae of some sort. I didn't have a chance to check them out though.
Old 14-09-2015, 02:54 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
I have a Skywatcher heritage 130p. I didn't know that having a fider scope was such a big deal to be honest. Nobody has ever mentiond it's importance before now
That's got a Red Dot Finder - right? They're fine for pointing at naked eye targets (such as planets, or pointing at the alignment stars on a GoTo mount), but you'll need to use star-hopping from bright stars to find fainter targets.

A right-angle finder scope (8x50 say) might be a useful accessory - it'll let you find much fainter targets than you can with the naked eye. (Right-angle finders cost a bot more than a straight-through finder, but with a small telescope where the viewing position is never very high off the ground, your back and neck will thank you for it!)
Old 14-09-2015, 04:38 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
That's got a Red Dot Finder - right? They're fine for pointing at naked eye targets (such as planets, or pointing at the alignment stars on a GoTo mount), but you'll need to use star-hopping from bright stars to find fainter targets.

A right-angle finder scope (8x50 say) might be a useful accessory - it'll let you find much fainter targets than you can with the naked eye. (Right-angle finders cost a bot more than a straight-through finder, but with a small telescope where the viewing position is never very high off the ground, your back and neck will thank you for it!)
I have got a red dot finder, I just have no idea where it went. One of my girls knocked it off my scope and it's grown legs. I'm sure it'll pop up sooner or later.
Old 15-09-2015, 01:10 AM
raymo

Just to confuse you, some people [including me], find a right angle finder
more of a pain in the neck than the pain caused by a straight through
finder, because it displays the sky in a different orientation
from that shown in the main scope's eyepiece.
raymo
Old 15-09-2015, 07:42 AM
Solanum

Quote:
I finally had a chance to go out early this morning and check out the Orion Nebula. It's the first time my telescope has been used in at least 2 months and the firsy nebula I have seen. I actually went past it four times because I just assumed it was a bit of fuzzy glare. Was I mistaken in expecting it to be brighter than what it was? I live in town (a population of roughly 4000ish) so maybe I would have been going somewhere with darker skies. What are other people's experiences with these things?

I used to live in Mildura, still spend a lot of time there (in fact I'm typing this from Mildura right now) and I've driven through the Riverland hundreds of times and you have very good skies! Even in the 'city' of Mildura nebulas like Orion and Eta Carina were fabulous, much much better than they are from the light polluted skies here in the Adelaide Hills.

As others have mentioned, part of it is probably expectations (nebulas never look like the colour photos you see). Where you are, Eta Carina and the Orion nebula are naked eye objects, I could locate the lagoon nebula by eye from Mildura as well. However, use the red dot finder, it is difficult to align even naked eye objects without the red dot or other finder.

The other thing that improves detail is a nebula or UHC filter, you can probably find a second hand one for not too much money (they go on the eyepice, not the scope...).

Finally, even in the Riverland, dark adaption for your eyes is essential, so I concur with what others have said, 30+ mins in the dark and avoid getting street or other lights in your eye (and avoid the moon being up of course).

Good luck!
Old 15-09-2015, 08:49 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Just to confuse you, some people [including me], find a right angle finder
more of a pain in the neck than the pain caused by a straight through
finder, because it displays the sky in a different orientation
from that shown in the main scope's eyepiece.
raymo
Yes, I understand the confusion between the different image orientations that you get with straight-through versus right-angle finders. However, isn't that pretty much unavoidable whatever configuration you use? Unless you are using a refractor without a diagonal and a straight-through finderscope (or a refractor with a diagonal and a right-angle finderscope), you will get a different image orientation between the main eyepiece and the finderscope.

Just to clarify my suggestion of a right-angle finder - the OP has a SkyWatcher Heritage 130, which is a smallish table-top Dob, so most of the time, you are hunched somewhat over the normal eyepiece, and when observing near the zenith, you'd almost have to lie flat on your back on the table to be able to use a straight-through finder!

I find life a lot easier if the finderscope can be arranged so that the eyepiece is close by the main eyepiece, and in the same physical orientation, so that you can swap easily between the two - image inversion effects notwithstanding! (This can be less of an issue with larger scopes such as SCTs where the main eyepiece stays at a reasonable viewing height in most orientations, so you can swap between the eyepiece and the finderscope without needing to be a gymnast, but even then, targeting objects near the zenith can be a challenge with a straight-though finderscope.)
Old 15-09-2015, 12:04 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

I already have to cope with everything being upside-down, so would a right-angle finder scope really be that bad?
I should be able to manage with my red dot finder (if I can work out where it is) but later on down the track I'll definitely invest in a finder scope.
Old 15-09-2015, 12:22 PM
raymo

I can willingly concede your point regarding the 130 Heritage Julian,
there are always exceptions.
raymo