Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-03-2015, 02:53 PM
REVEREND (Raymond)

Southern Aurora

Hi all. Is it possible to see the aurora from s/w WA? .I have never seen one, and would luv to get some pics if possible. I can drive to Cape Leeuwin if its still visible.
Thanks..

Cheers Reverend.
Old 22-03-2015, 06:43 AM
Analog6 (Odille)

Yes, its been seen there. There is an Aurora Australia Tasmania group on FB, if you are on it, but it has 19,000+members from worldwide and many from WA, who regularly post photos. Easy to find who is doing it and maybe join up with them.
Old 22-03-2015, 11:40 AM
REVEREND (Raymond)

Thanks Odille. I don't do Faceless book, so that is why I put the question up here. I have done some "Googling" and can't seem to find anything.
Thanks again.

Cheers Reverend.
Old 22-03-2015, 08:45 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Because of WA's magnetic latitude, which around 44S from memory, it only sees aurora during big events. Tasmania and NZ see them more regularly as they are a lot closer to the south magnetic pole.

You need to watch the Kp index (which is currently at a storm level of 6 as a write!) which I access from the Spaceweather page and when that to gets to 6 and above you know you're in with a chance. I think rogerg has photographed a very faint one from Lake Leschenaultia at Level 5, but you wouldn't see it visually at that level in Perth, that's a pretty good indication of what usually happens from Perth and southern WA. Sometimes only the camera can see them, they're just not bright enough for the eye, but a long exposure picks up enough light to detect them.

A lot of us also subscribe to the ips email alert system, which is govt run. This is usually good for giving a heads up for possible aurora and you at least know you should be keeping an eye on the indices when you get them.

But generally unless its a big storm (Kp index 6 or more), like the one just past over 16-18th March, you wont see much from Perth.

Hope that helps.
Old 22-03-2015, 11:07 PM
REVEREND (Raymond)

Thanks Jacquie. Some good info there. I am only an hours drive from Cape Leeuwin, so I might have a chance on a big storm.

Cheers Reverend.