Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 23-07-2015, 01:50 PM
SadisticSarz (Sara Freeman)
SadisticSarz

Arrow Astronomy Vs Weather

Hi Guys

Since I am still so noob at astronomy & Stargazing but i have figured something out that you have to almost be an expert in reading the weather and how the forcasts will play out. I notice that the weather In Perth differs from the weather in our rural area 2 hours north of Perth. So I have to rely on the Weather station he at Gingin Arodrome. Just a thought Im having.

Dose anyone have a way to read and understand these forcasts
Old 23-07-2015, 02:18 PM
glend (Glen)

We wish! Even if you live smack in the middle of the forecast area doesn't mean its exact. It's a prediction based on a computer model using weather station inputs. (Not TV station but real collection point stations around the country).

I like to use the four-day charts and satellite photos as my tools. The sat photos aare good at showing cloud cover and how its changing as they are updated many times a day, even at night because they are taien in infrared.
Old 23-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

If Perth is anything like Melbourne I'd say that the only reliable weather report is the window
Old 23-07-2015, 02:27 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Practice young padawan, practice ......

You're right though. I have been reading weather maps for years, first as a boatie and now as an astronomer. My weather patterns over here in NZ are obviously quite different from yours but I have taken notice of the TV predictions and watched the skies and now tend to make my own calls as to what will be good or not.
I go to my local weather map site daily and view the satellite pix, the infrared pix and the baro lines to understand where it is all coming from and what is likely to happen. Occaisonally I get it right ..

You will need to get familiar with what your local patterns are, they do recur, certain highs and lows will repeat weekly or seasonally. Do some research on weather and how it works with barometric readings etc.

There is no easy way, and the weather will always do something else anyway. Whatever you do, DON'T buy any new astro gear because the Cloud Gods will instantly change their schedule to ensure skies stay covered in direct proportion to the value of the new gear you have just purchased. Guaranteed !!
Old 23-07-2015, 03:46 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Hi,

Do you know about these cloud forecasts? Neither is perfect but they do help. I like to compare the forecast to reality for hours or a day before my obs night to see how accurate they are at that time. The accuracy depends a bit on the type of weather system. Where I am it tends to get it wrong when there is an on-shore wind because they don't model the effect of the escarpment well. They may do better at your place, being pretty flat there.

http://www.skippysky.com.au/Australia/
http://202.127.24.18/index.php?produ...zshift=0&site=

Don't let bad weather put you off. I've been into astronomy for 40 years and I've stood under cloud, fuming, quite a few times. Even had the scope rained on. But I've also had some of the greatest nights ever and seen thing most people don't even know exist. Apart from hundreds of DSOs I've seen 3 total solar eclipses, two transits of Venus, transit of Mercury, planetary occultations and a few lunar eclipses. If you persist you too will have a collection of very happy memories by the time you're my age. BTW I suppose you are already planning for the 2028 solar eclipse? (I am)
Old 23-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Sara,

I use the following, and they are generally close to reality.

Clear outside
http://clearoutside.com/forecast/-33.34/151.16

7Timer
http://202.127.24.18/index.php?produ...g=en&tzshift=0
(however, 7timer seems to be "down" on the odd occasions)

and Accuweather for astronomy
http://www.accuweather.com/en/au/glo...st/13014?day=6

... and take the average consensus.

Clear Skies
Old 23-07-2015, 04:56 PM
SadisticSarz

Thank You

Thank you guys for replying to my question.

Colin: That is a vary wise and extremely safe answer.....mind you looking out the window may not always work because it could be clear a nice then you set up prep for skywatching and some fat cloud decides its a perfect time to sit where you want to view....

ZeroID I use to live in wellington before coming here about 8 months ago and it was very hard to get clear skies because 90% of the time i would be cloudy windy rainy......
Old 23-07-2015, 05:09 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadisticSarz View Post

Colin: That is a vary wise and extremely safe answer.....mind you looking out the window may not always work because it could be clear a nice then you set up prep for skywatching and some fat cloud decides its a perfect time to sit where you want to view....

ZeroID I use to live in wellington before coming here about 8 months ago and it was very hard to get clear skies because 90% of the time i would be cloudy windy rainy......
Yep, that happened to me once last week and once this week! This week it was clear when I set up. Got everything turned on and about to start doing a drift alignment, turned around and saw the wall of cloud coming towards me. Stuck it out for a little while, got disheartened and start packing up an hour later. By the time I'd finished packing up it was clearing up again!

It was really cloudy some 2 hours later though so it wasn't too bad then.
Old 23-07-2015, 05:23 PM
SadisticSarz

Arrow Beating The Gods

But I wonder if anyone can beat the gods at their own game by getting the weather readings spot on.
Old 23-07-2015, 05:45 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
But I wonder if anyone can beat the gods at their own game by getting the weather readings spot on.
I think that is just wishful thinking and they'll probably blanket the skies for all eternity if you tried
Old 24-07-2015, 06:15 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:

Wellington .. ?? !! Oh dear ....Fortunately I'm in Auckland and don't need wind and earthquake bracing. Actually quite like those cold southerlies that hit down that way because by the time they reach us all the clouds are gone and I get cold clear skies. I just close the Ob door to keep the breeze out and enjoy the view !!
Old 24-07-2015, 10:56 AM
tileys

If I'm planning an evening of viewing I check out the satellite images at BOM - visible greyscale only go up to nightfall (naturally) but the others go later and, using the loop of images, I try and predict the cloud movements relative to where I am. I still get caught out though - had a couple of instances recently where it is clear throughout the day and after dinner I set up and then when I'm attempting to align look up to see clouds moving in and after watching their direction for a minute or so - start the process of packing up and going back inside ;(

...all good practice though I guess ;/ - I can now pack up an EQ6 mounted Newt with guidescope and autoguider, gamepad controller, SLR - all connected to a laptop - in 10 minutes
Old 26-07-2015, 01:05 AM
SadisticSarz

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileys View Post
If I'm planning an evening of viewing I check out the satellite images at BOM - visible greyscale only go up to nightfall (naturally) but the others go later and, using the loop of images, I try and predict the cloud movements relative to where I am. I still get caught out though - had a couple of instances recently where it is clear throughout the day and after dinner I set up and then when I'm attempting to align look up to see clouds moving in and after watching their direction for a minute or so - start the process of packing up and going back inside ;(

...all good practice though I guess ;/ - I can now pack up an EQ6 mounted Newt with guidescope and autoguider, gamepad controller, SLR - all connected to a laptop - in 10 minutes
Thats a cool idea. Im liking all the ideas and have started trying to predict weather here. honestly I am better off throwing sand in the air to see which direction the wind is blowing....totally useles for astronomy i think