Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2015, 04:19 PM
Norlesh (Shane)

Greetings from Melbourne

Figured I would start of on the correct foot with this forum by announcing myself.

Just purchased my first telescope the other day on gumtree: a 60/700 mm refracting with GoTo originally sold by Aldi of all places - luckily didn't pay to much for it as it turns out the controller board in the mount is shot.

Not to be deterred went back on gumtree the next day and found myself an old 114/910 mm reflector (Meade 114EQ badged as a Saturn telescope) for a song. Turned out not to include any eye pieces but as luck would have it (lemonade from lemons) the refractor came with K25,K10,K4 mm eyepieces plus a 2x Barlow - just needed a touch of black duct tape to make an adapter from 1.25" to the silly old 0.965" barrel.

So that's me, two telescopes in, I already have my first battle scar: smacked myself in the forehead with an unlocked counterweight while setting up the equatorial mount (no blood just a bump), and have started reading up on mirror making...

Oh did I mention throughout all this I am as yet to see a single freekin star due to the clouds here in Melbourne all week.

well see you all around the forums I expect, regards Shane.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:33 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Ouch, what an introduction. At least you did not dump the counterweight on your toe!

I feel your pain with the clouds, I really wanted to get out and check out the closest night of the Venus/Jupiter conjunction on Wednesday but no joy.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Robert9 (Robert)

Welcome Shane. What a great start for you - a bump on the head and 2 new scopes! Ah, no wonder Melbourne is clouded out. The new equipment curse.
Robert
Old 04-07-2015, 10:21 PM
Nico13 (Ken)
Galaxy Hunting

Welcome Shane,
Well you've done the right thing by saying hi, sad about the other 74 people who looked at this and said nothing.

Anyway sounds like you're learning quickly "bump on head" don't do that again hey. Some gear to go on with, when the clouds bugger off that is.
I think you'll have a bit more luck with responses when asking questions. Lots to see on here so enjoy.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:23 PM
Norlesh (Shane)

Thanks for the welcome guys! Well it took a week but finally got the scope out last night and learned a few things.
I) Moon looks wicked at x91 magnification (and a hazy question mark at x227)!
II) A pin point in the sky at x227 magnification is still just a pin point.
III) Melbourne parks during the am hours while plenty dark enough to get mugged are strategically lit just enough to prevent loitering astronomers!
Old 08-07-2015, 06:46 PM
raymo

Well, It's even worse now, I'm number 134, and it's welcome from me. With luck you might find an old mount you can cannibalise for it's controller board.
raymo
Old 08-07-2015, 07:24 PM
GrampianStars (Rob)
Black Sky Zone

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norlesh View Post
Thanks for the welcome guys! Well it took a week but finally got the scope out last night and learned a few things.
I) Moon looks wicked at x91 magnification (and a hazy question mark at x227)!
II) A pin point in the sky at x227 magnification is still just a pin point.
III) Melbourne parks during the am hours while plenty dark enough to get mugged are strategically lit just enough to prevent loitering astronomers!
& 2 point 2 (II)
pin points don't get any bigger no matter what size scope
where in Melbourne R U ?
Plenty of guys on here get 2gether in "Dark Parks"
Old 08-07-2015, 11:17 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Shane
I have followed your posts but keep getting interrupted when I try to reply, workmates, customers etc!!
Anyway well done on the scope and on the battle scars!!
Another reason I like dobs, no counterweights to drop on feet or bang on heads!!
Just regarding point 2, that pinpoints are still pinpoints at 227x. I sometimes hear from beginners who bemoan the fact that they cannot see stars as anything other than points. I personally think it is wonderful. To think that something as huge as a star, maybe millions of kms across is still so far away that all we see is a tiny point just adds to an appreciation of how vast the universe is. Also to think we have been able to learn so much about those little points to the point we can detect planets, sunspots even "starquakes" on those stars is a testament to human ingenuity and imagination.

Clear skies
Malcolm
Old 09-07-2015, 07:53 PM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

Welcome aboard, Shane. I'm returning to the hobby after a seven year break, and enjoying dusting off the scope and getting out there.