Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2015, 01:57 PM
Jackle123 (Jack)

need help please

My name is Jack and me and my wife bought a telescope (equatorial mount, 6") from Australian geographic this week.
I've been struggling to set it up in the past days as the manual is small and only has 4 pages and basically no explanation about what is what and how to set it up.
I think I have it mostly done now by reading on the internet etc etc and puzzling all the info together.
There is however one problem.
Instructions I read tell me that I have to align the telescope using the RA and Decl scales.
I am trying to do that, but these rings are loose and keep moving around everytime I try to set my location or declination etc.
My question is;:confused2 :
IS THAT NORMAL???
SHOULD THE RINGS/SCALES BE FIXED IN PLACE. after all, how can I set coordinates if the scale/ring isn't in the right spot.
Or am I a typical beginner doing everything wrong???

Can anyone please help me with that??
Many thanks
Old 03-06-2015, 03:44 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

hi Jack and welcome ...

this is the easiest guide to set up an eq mount. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.p...63,498,0,0,1,0

enjoy,
Matt
Old 03-06-2015, 05:10 PM
tileys

What is the make and model of the scope ?
Old 03-06-2015, 06:26 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

The two scales should have small screws that allow them to be locked but as for alignment you are best to follow the guide mentioned in earlier post.

Good luck
Roger
Old 03-06-2015, 10:50 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

as for the ra and Dec being movable ...what I use to do with my old Meade eq2 was align the scope with the North leg pointing to my true north, locate a star, dial in the ra/Dec coordinates, by turning the movable setting circles so the needle lines up with the numbers for that object. with that done, if everything goes to plan you should be able to use ra/Dec coordinates to locate stars and objects.
it was easier said then done as the scope was 2nd hand and poorly maintained. I found it easier star hopping ever so hopelessly but in the end, the half hour playing with both axis made it enjoyable if I found what I was looking for, or just total frustration if I couldn't.

my worm gear (slow motion) would only go so far, and then I'd have to wind it back, then unclamp the axis, move the scope, lock it, then use the worm to keep the scope on target and repeat...it was fun but alot of work.

hope that makes sense, I'm not sure if that was covered in the guide, I didn't reread it as I had to goto work.

Matt