Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-04-2014, 06:28 PM
IRobotRob (Rob)

Hi Everyone

Hi all - Rob here saying hello

New to amateur astronomy. I bought a 130mm computerised telescope (SkyProdigy) a couple of years ago, very easy and enjoyable to use for a beginner. More or less grew out of it when hunting for DSO's recently...

I bought Wren's SkyWatcher 14" Dob from this forum recently which came with an awful lot of nice accessories as well

It's a big step up from what I had, so some learnings ahead. Can't wait to see where this takes me in the night sky from now...

Lovely clear night in Melbourne tonight. Here is a pic of me setting it up in the backyard with one of our Cat's making sure I am doing it all correctly
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_2315 - Copy.jpg)
188.7 KB107 views
Old 27-04-2014, 07:52 PM
Kunama

Hi Rob and welcome, That is a great scope to get into the hobby with although I fear that cat is thinking " That looks like a nice place to curl up inside on a cold Melbourne night"
Old 27-04-2014, 10:47 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Hi Rob
Wrens 14" is a very well kept piece of kit, have looked through it at Snake Valley a few times. If you are in Melbourne you will have to bring it along to the next camp in November!!

Malcolm
Old 28-04-2014, 03:59 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Hi Rob,
I think the best thing about living in Narre Warren is that it is such a short drive for you to go out past Pakenham and get a really good view of the galaxies with that 14" of yours.

I still haven't found a good galaxy viewing spot since I moved down here.
Regards,
Renato
Old 28-04-2014, 07:08 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Hi Rob, welcome to the mad house. Nice scope for sure, 14" should get you a long way out.
Lovely cat too. It looks to be an Oriental Siamese ? Cream Lynx possibly ? I ask because we've had a number of these guys for about 15 years and they such a personable and curious pet.
Old 29-04-2014, 05:35 AM
IRobotRob (Rob)

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Managed to get some viewing time in and it was a treat to start with. Although the lights from Fountain Gate Shopping Centre sets a glow across the southern half of the night sky till about midnight..

Yep, down past Pakenham would be great away from the lights, would love to see some detail in the galaxies... But I'm in the same boat, don't know any viewing areas or if people have suggestions for any viewing spots past Pakenham? Otherwise the trip to Snake Gully in November sounds like the go as well...

Well spotted with the Cat! She's an Oriental style Siamese (wedge shaped head), Seal Point Tabby. Definitely the boss of the house with so much personality! Very enjoyable pet to have..
Old 29-04-2014, 09:34 AM
PeterHA (Peter)
Murphy's Friend

Welcome and Pakenham

Welcome Rob,
Nice scope, great for faint fuzzy stuff.

I am in Glen Waverley and frequently use the Johns Hill Reserve at Ridge Rd, Kalista for visual DSO.
Just 30 minutes for me to drive, sky usually SQM 20.5 and good views to south, east and north.

If anyone knows a good spot past Pakenham, I would be interested too.
Old 29-04-2014, 09:47 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRobotRob View Post
Well spotted with the Cat! She's an Oriental style Siamese (wedge shaped head), Seal Point Tabby. Definitely the boss of the house with so much personality! Very enjoyable pet to have..
They are a bit unique for sure, loaded with personality. We call them 'Velcro Cats' because they stick to you like glue as yours appears to be doing. The only other cat I know that comes close is the Burmese which is related anyway. We're down to one 10-11 year old male Ebony now but at one stage had 4 of them and we've had about 8-9 over the years.
Looks like you'l have company when you're out there viewing for sure.
Old 30-04-2014, 08:04 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRobotRob View Post
T

Yep, down past Pakenham would be great away from the lights, would love to see some detail in the galaxies... But I'm in the same boat, don't know any viewing areas or if people have suggestions for any viewing spots past Pakenham? Otherwise the trip to Snake Gully in November sounds like the go as well...
Yes, it's problematic finding a site.

I observed over 2000 galaxies from my mother's cousin's place on Pakenham Rd, just a bit out from Pakenham. And hundreds of DSOs in the Magellanic Clouds. Unfortunately he's sold it now. You might have to drive down Maryknoll way, and find a deserted lane or oval which is light free (and hopefully, lover's lane-free).
Regards,
Renato
Old 06-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Pinwheel (Doug)

You guy's should try the Tooradin airfield at night. Not much goes on at night there just stay of the runway.