Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
great shots chris - LOL i am sitting at the front of the subaru waiting and sulking because i couldnt image because of the scope, not long after that I got out the pentax and did the star trails. the funny thing is i actually saw the red light moving up on the hill if you look at the movie you will see the movement you guys were up to
Wow! The movie shows it for sure! LOL!!! Well captured!!!!!

Really sorry to hear about the carnage David. News spread up the hill to the imaging area and we all felt really bad for you. What an 'orrible thing to happen. Is anything going to take minimal effort to set right?

Old 02-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeny View Post
The waterhole was beautiful as always, especially with the spa! I must thank all those people who helped build the rock wall.
LOL! I thought that the sluice was set up by the locals - not you guys!

We do that on our place to keep carp from swimming upstream. The trout can make it through but the carp can't fight the current. It's quite a common sight right up and down the Murrumbidgee near us.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:02 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Due to family issues I could only get there on Saturday, but it was great to catch up with some familiar faces, many of whom I hadn't seen since IISAC 2007, over 18 months ago.

I am looking forward to IISAC 2009 and hopefully the weather Gods smile on us next year.

Cheers,
John B
Old 02-11-2008, 08:09 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
Wow! The movie shows it for sure! LOL!!! Well captured!!!!!

Really sorry to hear about the carnage David. News spread up the hill to the imaging area and we all felt really bad for you. What an 'orrible thing to happen. Is anything going to take minimal effort to set right?

not sure - took it to northern instruments and they said they had no expertise to correct the triplet So will be asking around the traps on monday - may even take it to sydney tomorrow? as for the eq5pro - that is now on its way to Bintel melbourne
Old 02-11-2008, 08:18 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
It was great to see you all at Lostock again yesterday and we look
forward to seeing you again soon.

Special thanks to Mike and all the volunteers for all the organization and
hard work they put into the event.

Though we lucked-out with the weather, everyone seemed to be having a great
time socializing. I know we did!

For those of you who made extraordinarily long journeys to be there, as far as from
Victoria and the Northern Territory, well done and we hope your returned trips
brought you home safely.

Once again, great to see you all and we had a lot of laughs chin-wagging with you!

Best regards

Gary & Mai
Mt. Kuring-Gai NSW
Gary thank you for the serial connectors I got them from Alan this afternoon I did miss catching up with you and Mai
Old 02-11-2008, 08:29 PM
tornado33

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
not sure - took it to northern instruments and they said they had no expertise to correct the triplet So will be asking around the traps on monday - may even take it to sydney tomorrow? as for the eq5pro - that is now on its way to Bintel melbourne
What happened??? was some gear damaged on the trip up there?
Scott
Old 02-11-2008, 08:38 PM
RB (Andrew)

Well what a wonderful time we had at Lostock !
I got home around lunch time to a big reception from my family, which I missed terribly but then had to get stuck straight back into work after being away for so long.
I'll have to post photos tomorrow when I get some time but for now I really just want to thank everyone for the wonderful company.

I was so looking forward to meeting friends from the forum that I hadn't met in person before.
It was a pleasure to meet Chris (Omaroo), Monte, Al Sheeny, Fred (Bassnut), madwayne, JohnG, Doug (Hagar), Vincent (cookie8), Matty P, and many many others.

And of course all my regular group of friends that just make the star party an exception event for me each time (too many to name but you know who you are !)

Lastly a big thank you to Mike for all the effort he puts in to organising the event and to the sponsors and guest speakers, Rev Bob Evens, Simon O'Toole, Gary Kopff & John Bambury.

Can't wait for IISAC 09 !!!

Old 02-11-2008, 08:49 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

was there only for one night and despite the weather, glad I made it just to catch up with people

oh and at 4 am this morning it cleared up and the Pleaides sparkled in the sky -as they must have when old Tennyson waxed lyrical about this cluster-swear I could see nebulosity

all too soon it got light though
Narayan
Old 02-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Astrod00d
Lost In SPace

What a great time we had at IISAC 2008! Many thanks to Mike and all the others who put so much effort into bringing together such a great event.

It was a pleasure to put a face to the names of so many people. Still more to catch up with though... Looking forward to IISAC 2009!

Attached is the only image I managed to get this weekend - a single 5-minute sub of the Horsehead and Flame. A bit noisy but hey what can you do with 5 minutes?

Cheers,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (B33_08103001_small.jpg)
195.2 KB110 views
Old 02-11-2008, 09:05 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado33 View Post
What happened??? was some gear damaged on the trip up there?
Scott
well during the balancing routune when setting up. the 127ED, the 80mm guide scope and the finder scope and diagonal fell off the head of the mount - landed heavily on the ground destroying the finder scope and the 2" dielectric diagonal, dinted the tripod legs. the moonlight focuser was damaged as well. the scope currently sees double and needs collimation. i think I can live with the focuser - though the option of sending it back to be repaired is on the agenda. too add to this the eq5 pro that I lent Alan packed it in witha horrible grinding noise. that is off to Roger Davis in Melbourne to fix for me hopefully?:sadeye s:
Old 02-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Deeno
“We are star-stuff”

Hey All!!

Amanda and I had just the best time at what was our 2nd IIASC and third ever star party.
Always great to catch up with everyone and see what they actually look like in daylight!
And what a privilege it is to meet and put faces to some of the fascinating and interesting characters who lurk within the pages of IceInSpace.

Thanks Mike and to all involved who organized the weekend...

See ya next year
Deeno
Old 02-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

That's a great start you got there Rob - nicely framed and if it's uncropped, a great FOV.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

For only one 5 minute sub Rob it looks fantastic.

I forgot to mention that it was great meeting up with everyone and I will definitely get around more next time to meet others at IISAC 09.

A big thanks to Mike and everyone else involved to make this camp run smoothly.

See you all next year.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:00 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Hi all

What great five days! As always it was excellent to catch up with fellow Iceinspacers.

We are a little tired at the moment and will post more later.

Cheers Petra d.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:29 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Sounds like a great time was had by all, sorry to hear about the misfortune with your gear Dave, I wish I had been able to attend, maybe next time....
Old 03-11-2008, 06:55 AM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

I had a great time and just made it to Syd Airport, literally at the last minute,
Next time I will allow 5.5 hrs to get to the AP !
Enjoyed the great company there and my son is already asking about next year.
It was a bonus to get an hour of viewing on the last morning too.
Thanks Mike and all the people who made this event possible.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:06 AM
madwayne (Wayne)

It sure was a great event and so nice to meet a heap of the wonderful people that make Ice in Space what it is. Was the weather bad? I didn't even notice it.

Houghy, good luck with getting your kit back in order. It sure put a dampener on our weekend to hear about your misfortune.

Congratulations to Mike and the team for giving up their time, knowledge and expertise to make this event run like clockwork.

And finally to Big Dave and family, particularly Little Jamie, congratulations on scooping the pool in the prize draws.

Great time had by all and see you next year, and to the Pony Club crew hopefully I can get up there one of these nights. Might have to be when RB isn't around, he wafts some strange smells when the sun goes down .

Best regards and hopefully some clear skies.

Wayne
Old 03-11-2008, 08:41 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwayne View Post
It sure was a great event and so nice to meet a heap of the wonderful people that make Ice in Space what it is. Was the weather bad? I didn't even notice it.

Houghy, good luck with getting your kit back in order. It sure put a dampener on our weekend to hear about your misfortune.

Congratulations to Mike and the team for giving up their time, knowledge and expertise to make this event run like clockwork.

And finally to Big Dave and family, particularly Little Jamie, congratulations on scooping the pool in the prize draws.

Great time had by all and see you next year, and to the Pony Club crew hopefully I can get up there one of these nights. Might have to be when RB isn't around, he wafts some strange smells when the sun goes down .

Best regards and hopefully some clear skies.

Wayne
thanks for your condolences Wayne
Old 03-11-2008, 10:11 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwayne View Post
Wayne
Oh you're a funny funny guy ! (literally ! LOL)
Old 03-11-2008, 11:04 AM
C.A.L.
Allergic to Numbers

Thanks Mike, and to everyone who helped out. It was a wonderful opportunity to meet some fantastic people from virtually almost all corners of Australia. I’ll definitely be back next year.

Hope you all got home safe!

Cheers,
Cathi

Here are some cool people cooling off in the swimming hole…
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_5533-SMv.jpg)
191.1 KB112 views