Old 23-03-2024, 03:43 PM
JA

3 Body Problem NETFLIX

Recommended....

Best
JA
Old 23-03-2024, 04:17 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

I'm reading the books now and about to start the 3rd volume.

It's been interesting to read a Chinese-centred view of the world, compared to the Western-centred view that we're accustomed to. (I think some of the 'hard science' is a bit dodgy, but otherwise it's been a good read so far.)

V.
Old 23-03-2024, 06:24 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

I've only watched the first episode.
We shall see where it goes but I'm already annoyed - they just had to go and change the main character of the first book from a male to a female (like they did in Foundation - that worked out well).

On the plus side, the Chinese detective was exactly as I'd pictured him while reading the first book.

It's an odd book series. The first book is polarising - some YouTube SF reviewers just hated it, and said they'd read no further. I thought it was great.
Second book was chilling.
Third book is as if the publisher told the writer to hurry it up, and he had to go and compress three or four volumes worth of SF ideas into one volume.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 27-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

I watched the first episode last night, not good viewing while eating dinner.
The sky winking, I'm confused, is that part of the Matrix theory?
Old 28-03-2024, 07:55 AM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
I watched the first episode last night, not good viewing while eating dinner.
The sky winking, I'm confused, is that part of the Matrix theory?

Ah, you have to wait to find out.
I read and loved the books - mostly for the concepts they explored. I think Ciuxin Liu is best with the science, not so great as a writer - some of the characters even in the books come off as a bit wooden - particularly the female characters. That said they did blow my mind, and only got better as they went on.

And no, it's not just the translation. I looked it up and a number of bilingual readers have mentioned that he's no literary great, he's a hard science fiction writer. You'll have to excuse the bits in later books where he mentions places in Victoria (Warburton) and mischaracterises it as a vast sandy desert (perhaps mistaking the Great Victoria Desert in WA for Victoria the state (oops!).

The series was an opportunity to redress some of the writing but alas they didn't. The whole incident with the black tie at the funeral being used to throw in the theory of folded dimensions was just clumsy and stupid. The whole way science and scientists were depicted kind of annoyed me. I feel like it lacked any kind of human warmth. I'll persevere with it though because first episodes are hard, but I don't feel like it's well directed generally.

Man, it sounds like I only have bad things to say, but I loved the books and the ideas behind them. He's is truly visionary on that level. Mind blowing stuff. His 'super nova era' novel is worth a look too if you can go with the premise.

Markus
Old 28-03-2024, 10:07 AM
KISSMAD (Bruce)

I listen to That UFO Podcast and the host, Andy says that the Chinese version is better than the Netflix version.

The Chinese version is 30 episodes and is available to watch on YouTube.
Old 28-03-2024, 10:14 AM
Leo.G (Leo)

I do like their VR helmets. It's getting better, I liked the second episode.
I haven't read the books, my sight and daily migraines stopped my voracious reading some years back. I switched to TV and got instantly dumber!
Old 28-03-2024, 02:33 PM
GOTO (Geoff)

I loved the books and thought the series was great. It really needs to go to the end of book two, not sure how three would go and I doubt there will be another season. I liked the characters and thought it was better than Foundation. Da Shi (detective) was perfectly cast and I liked Jack too. Well done Netflix imo.
Old 28-03-2024, 04:06 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

I'll have to give the books another chance - I found the first one, particularly some of the characters, a bit two dimensional, and couldn't really get into the others despite the intriguing story. The local digital bus shelter was scrolling through the typical real estate ads this morning, when "you are bugs" came up - gave me a good laugh.