Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-01-2015, 09:01 PM
Cola (Australia)

My first shots of the sky

my first shots I hope there's pictures?!! Orion Nebula and comet lovejoy taken by my Star Adventure tracker .. I new in this.. I am still learning.. I love to take more.. I have a 600mm telescope 80ED.. I can't unable to use it on my tracker..due to weight.. I would love to find an way to use it and take photos out if it.. any idea.. would be helpful.. unless I have to buy myself a goto mount for it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (crop lovejoy.jpg)
89.8 KB69 views
Click for full-size image (nebular crop1.jpg)
195.7 KB85 views
Old 29-01-2015, 09:27 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Hi Cola,

wow - fantastic result, you must be stoked with that!
yes a goto telescope like a skywatcher HEQ5 would be a good starting point for astro photography with your scope. otherwise you will be able to get good shots of the moon and to a lesser extent the planets without a goto.

cheers
Old 29-01-2015, 12:18 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

really well done, for a first image that is not bad at all.
Old 29-01-2015, 12:24 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola View Post
my first shots I hope there's pictures?!! Orion Nebula and comet lovejoy taken by my Star Adventure tracker .. I new in this.. I am still learning.. I love to take more.. I have a 600mm telescope 80ED.. I can't unable to use it on my tracker..due to weight.. I would love to find an way to use it and take photos out if it.. any idea.. would be helpful.. unless I have to buy myself a goto mount for it!
That's very good. You could try to take shorter exposures so your stars won't have the time to trail. Other than that if you want to get into imaging at 600mm FL you'll definitely have to look into an EQ mount and auto-guiding. It can be done relatively cheaply if you pick up your gear second hand. There is a lot of stuff you can do with an ED80 before you feel the need to move on.
Old 19-02-2015, 03:24 PM
Cola (Australia)

Thank you

I am very pleased with myself. ..and proud...I just love the space...I will have to save up for a goto mount...I brought myself a lighter tripod head and hopeful to used my ed80 telescope. .(I have calculated the weights. .) The limit is 5kg on my tracker.
Old 19-02-2015, 03:58 PM
raymo

Your Tracker should handle an ED80.
raymo
Old 19-02-2015, 04:16 PM
Cola (Australia)

Tracker..

I have brought myself a new ball head, as it's 400gm and takes 12kg load.. the other head was way too heavy.. it was about 700gm.. I have done my math.. by adjusting the telescope so it balance.. I don't have any counter weights.. as the scope itself is about 3kg.. then the camera body with battery (900gm) so it's all under 5kg.. I had a struggle last night.. as the balance of the scope wasn't right.. allowing me to zoom in and back. so I have fixed during daylight.. and now it fix.. so tonight. (finger cross) clear sky.. I will try again..