Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy Books and Media
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-12-2011, 03:42 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

Misleading self promotion on ABC radio

Today I heard an interview with David Reneke on ABC Melbourne and they billed him as the editor of Sky and Space Magazine! I thought that was defunct 2-3 years ago? and in my opinion under questionable circumstances. This is not the first time recently I have heard this person on the ABC and being billed at the "editor of S&S mag". Is he the only authority of astronomy the ABC can find in this country?
Old 30-12-2011, 03:56 PM
rainwatcher (Peter)

The ABC are extremely lazy when it comes to acquiring “expert” resources and eliciting “expert” opinion. They follow the left wing line whenever possible and their recent performance on ‘global warming’ as opposed to climate change follows the now notorious, and shown to be corrupt, BBC and their so called pet experts. Perhaps that should be a new word “pexperts” to describe those people who are frequently called on more for their compliance than their expertise.
Rant over.
Old 30-12-2011, 03:57 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Yes it's rather sad. I still remember him talking about UFO's and crop circles the first time I saw him give a talk at Erina - that was after he showed a slideshow of NASA photos talking about the universe etc.
Old 30-12-2011, 04:41 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwatcher View Post
The ABC are extremely lazy when it comes to acquiring “expert” resources and eliciting “expert” opinion. They follow the left wing line whenever possible and their recent performance on ‘global warming’ as opposed to climate change follows the now notorious, and shown to be corrupt, BBC and their so called pet experts. Perhaps that should be a new word “pexperts” to describe those people who are frequently called on more for their compliance than their expertise.
Rant over.

+1,it a shame the ABC is so poor with their research.
Old 31-12-2011, 11:20 AM
rainwatcher (Peter)

Not so Bert, at least in my case, many counterfeit notes have been passed. A review of media watch and other TV followers like Crikey would identify many. Unfortunately the ABC TV and to a much greater extent radio is populated by left wing, would be literati, many with unused teaching and law qualifications, who have long since given up the ghost of journalistic impartiality. Brocky, Trioli and Faine being the worst offenders. Other such as Lindy Burns are just gigglers who just agree with the last person they speak to. Stubbs and Symons are breaths of fresh air in a stagnant organisation. Sorry to be so negative, actually i am not sorry they really need a good kick up the backside, but a once superb organisation is being ground down my political correctness and an over-inflated sense of ones self worth.
Old 31-12-2011, 11:34 AM
stephenb (Stephen)

Just for the record, my opening was referring to ABC Melbourne radio only. Unfortunately Bert I cannot monitor every single ABC broadcast in the country to confirm if this is wide spread as others may imply but I don't believe in any lefty conspiracy (i do respect other poster's opinion however, Peter). I just think its lazy research on behalf of the program producers on the day. And yesterday was no doubly a fill-in summer host with a fill-in producer. I have worked in media and radio and I know this occurs. The other side of the coin is I also often use to hear Perry Vlahos from the ASV on ABC Melbourne and I would consider him both extremely knowledgable and media friendly.
Old 31-12-2011, 12:26 PM
rainwatcher (Peter)

Ok thats the end of ABC bashing i guess . Anyway i do that on other more appropriate forums, I only wish i got as much response from some of my serious astro questions and comments.
Signing off here.
All the best for the new year.
Old 31-12-2011, 02:16 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

Bert once again, if you have nothing meaningful and respectful to contribute, please refrain engaging in these threads.

I also enjoy reading Perry's column in the Green Guide. Very informative for newcomers to the hobby also. I hope he continues it in 2012.
Old 31-12-2011, 03:06 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Could say a great deal ...

Hi Stephen & All,

I could say quite a bit about this but my lawyer has his hand over my mouth.

Best,

Les D
Old 31-12-2011, 03:16 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi Stephen & All,

Best,

Les D
Old 31-12-2011, 04:14 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

I could imagine Les, no worries.
Old 31-12-2011, 04:31 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi Stephen & All,

Best,

Les D
And the other hand close by your wallet
Old 31-12-2011, 08:49 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

all we got the other day on ABC radio here in Darwin was the Cricket . A fine come back by the aussies .
" go the All Blacks " ... oops !!!
Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenb View Post
Just for the record, my opening was referring to ABC Melbourne radio only. Unfortunately Bert I cannot monitor every single ABC broadcast in the country to confirm if this is wide spread as others may imply but I don't believe in any lefty conspiracy (i do respect other poster's opinion however, Peter). I just think its lazy research on behalf of the program producers on the day. And yesterday was no doubly a fill-in summer host with a fill-in producer. I have worked in media and radio and I know this occurs. The other side of the coin is I also often use to hear Perry Vlahos from the ASV on ABC Melbourne and I would consider him both extremely knowledgable and media friendly.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:35 PM
avandonk
avandonk

I should have realised that making a comment here was fruitless. Just go on bashing the ABC if it makes you feel good.

Censorship is the modus operandi of repressive regimes.

You are entitled to your delusions. Just as I am to my rational thoughts.

Ignorance is the worst sin in my opinion. I know I should refrain from treating others as informed human beings.

Bert
Old 01-01-2012, 01:00 PM
rainwatcher (Peter)

Hi Bert, you sound as if you might have worked at CSIRO once. Remember the old adage, better to look a fool than open your mouth and prove it to the world - lighten up.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:06 PM
avandonk
avandonk

I only worked at CSIRO for thirty years. Kodak research labs for seven years. I have been arguing for over forty years. It makes me and you face the truth whatever that is.

If we all agree we do not go forward.

Bert
Old 01-01-2012, 01:35 PM
avandonk
avandonk

OK I will lighten up. The main stream media love a crap story. They will promote blithering idiots as experts. Monckton is one that comes to mind.

I ask you to watch these videos and then come back and then tell me AGW is is all crap!

Monckton is caught out debunking himself!

http://www.youtube.com/user/potholer54

Bert
Old 08-01-2012, 09:26 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

The ABC is more balanced than the Murdoch media.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:40 PM
kittenshark (Cheryl-Ann Tan)

OK sorry to dig up this old, old thread, but I just got personal attacks from this guy whom I've never heard of before after we "ignored" his "business proposal" essentially asking us to give him something for free in exchange for what he thinks is advertising/exposure on his website (that we've never heard of), I thought I'd check his background in the astro community. Plenty of people are willing to take your money/goods in exchange for "exposure" that we don't ever sponsor anything anymore because it results in almost zero sales and we cop a loss.

When we didn't respond the same day he went on facebook to badmouth us and attacked some of our customers who had kindly told him we were closed for our regular days off. God forbid I should work on my days off to shower all attention to a cold-caller who wants free stuff.

Said attacks on facebook were deleted soon after but sounds like he's a loon. Crop circles and UFOs (a search with his name +aliens/UFOs lands you in all sorts of weird stuff and his 'research' on UFOs)? Questionable conduct at Sky & Space?

No doubt he might come after us again with nasty comments and personal attacks whenever anyone mentions us to him, but now I know not to take him seriously! (As if we ever did lol) If we did we could have been overrun by people asking if we sell cameras that could capture UFOs. (Already had one ask about that... played along and recommended a ZWO camera... but it's one too many! )