Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-12-2018, 07:28 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Yeah I had that a few times after packing up it was clear. Conditions too unstable tonight to risk it. If I had a rolloff roof then yeah I could but not game to play chicken with storms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (clouds-115_sf.jpg)
195.0 KB19 views
Click for full-size image (clouds-120_sf.jpg)
193.3 KB18 views
Old 21-12-2018, 06:34 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Sunday night and Monday night have been looking pretty good for a while now. It's full moon but who cares. Decent seeing, not too hot and no wind. Fingers crossed. Two excellent nights to get out there and tweak things.
Old 24-12-2018, 11:02 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Last night was excellent in western Sydney. Bright moon and a little dewy by the end but clear, no wind and decent seeing. Did a bit on the tarantula and eat carina with the full moon in the back. Good fun night. Probably at it tonight again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC3372_Ha_CN-212_1to1_cp.jpg)
157.4 KB29 views
Click for full-size image (NGC3372_Ha_CN-212_sf.jpg)
195.5 KB30 views
Old 24-12-2018, 12:45 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Well done. I gotta go mono/narrowband some time. It was a good night last night. Ah well at least I could try out my trial version of SGPro.
Old 24-12-2018, 01:05 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Well done. I gotta go mono/narrowband some time. It was a good night last night. Ah well at least I could try out my trial version of SGPro.
Yeah it was a great night, back at it tonight.
Old 25-12-2018, 10:42 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Another great night in Sydney last night. Got now a bit over 5h of ha on the keyhole. Looks like I might be able to go to 8 maybe 9h tonight. The moon was up but transparency where I am was very good, so minimum glare. Seeing was great too.
Old 25-12-2018, 11:34 AM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Another great night in Sydney last night. Got now a bit over 5h of ha on the keyhole. Looks like I might be able to go to 8 maybe 9h tonight. The moon was up but transparency where I am was very good, so minimum glare. Seeing was great too.
Interesting that the title of this thread is "good seeing". Last night I was out and as Marc says, the transparency was great, but the seeing (steadiness of atmosphere) left a lot to be desired.
Old 25-12-2018, 05:24 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
Interesting that the title of this thread is "good seeing". Last night I was out and as Marc says, the transparency was great, but the seeing (steadiness of atmosphere) left a lot to be desired.
Really? I thought it was pretty good, same as yesterday and the transparency was certainly a lot better than yesterday in Hoxton Park, don't know about Bowral. I imaged at 2.6m FL and got some pretty good details. Out again tonight after it cools down a little.

PS: this is what I got on the keyhole past two nights. ~5.5h now in 5min subs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (keyhole.jpg)
193.7 KB36 views

Last edited by multiweb; 25-12-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 25-12-2018, 10:26 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
PS: this is what I got on the keyhole past two nights. ~5.5h now in 5min subs.
Nice

I finally got rid of the guests and got set up. Don't have long to catch Oiii before the moon gets up.
Old 25-12-2018, 11:57 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Nice

I finally got rid of the guests and got set up. Don't have long to catch Oiii before the moon gets up.
Got your priorities right.
Beaute night again here in Sydney. Collecting more data.
Old 26-12-2018, 01:45 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

So last night was great again. That's 3 in a row now and out again tonight. Got just past 10h on the keyhole and a few on the tarantula in between. Today's really hot but the forecast for tonight looks good again. There were a very few thin patchy clouds last night around 3:00 but they dissipated very quickly and weren't where I was imaging. As far as I can tell the seeing was very good again. Couldn't see any noticeable twinkling and the guiding was sort of ok, but that's just me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC3372_Ha_CN-212_sf.jpg)
194.6 KB31 views
Old 26-12-2018, 03:23 PM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

It was good last night Marc once the heat left, I had the reducer off last night an did Eta Carinae again to see the difference. My lappy is doing the final noise reduction then I'll put it up.

Tonight's meant to be good too, but checking temps here it'll still be 25 deg at 11-12 o'clock. The DSLR won't be liking it. For the next few days we'll be having over 36 deg and clear nights.
I'm thinking of putting an attachment on my DSLR to hook a hose and pump cooled air in, not sure yet whether it'll work or not but using the existing mounting thread on the camera.
Old 26-12-2018, 03:41 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlzburg View Post
It was good last night Marc once the heat left, I had the reducer off last night an did Eta Carinae again to see the difference. My lappy is doing the final noise reduction then I'll put it up.

Tonight's meant to be good too, but checking temps here it'll still be 25 deg at 11-12 o'clock. The DSLR won't be liking it. For the next few days we'll be having over 36 deg and clear nights.
I'm thinking of putting an attachment on my DSLR to hook a hose and pump cooled air in, not sure yet whether it'll work or not but using the existing mounting thread on the camera.
Yeah looks like a couple of hot days coming up and that means potential rain storms out of the blue. 25c at night is quite good. With a DSLR yeah it's all up hill with those warm summer nights. I don't think cool air will do anything. You should get a small cooled CCD second hand. I once tried to put a Pentax in the fridge in a plastic bag. It didn't work to well when I took it out. It dewed up in half a second.
Old 26-12-2018, 03:45 PM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

Ha ha I've tried the fridge idea, it didn't last long. I'm looking at getting a cooled camera but not sure which to get for DSO
Old 26-12-2018, 03:52 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlzburg View Post
Ha ha I've tried the fridge idea, it didn't last long. I'm looking at getting a cooled camera but not sure which to get for DSO
I have a QHY8 and a QHY9. QHY are good price and bang for the buck. Always second hand for sale too. Or ZWO. They're ok as well. I have a small 120mm for planetary.
Old 26-12-2018, 03:53 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
... the seeing (steadiness of atmosphere) left a lot to be desired.
John the microclimate of your locality and the immediate surroundings can have a huge influence on seeing - far more than many realise.

It isn’t as dependent on the jet stream as many think. The first (lowest) 1000 metres of the air column along the line of sight matter most.
Old 26-12-2018, 11:10 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Can't believe it's clear again.
Clocking more hours on the tarantula right now (just passed 3h) then will finish my run on Eta Carina and call it a day as clouds look like they're back in the next few days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC2070_ha_CN-212_sf.jpg)
194.4 KB22 views
Old 03-01-2019, 11:16 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

This coming Friday night could be clear after the day heat if we don't get localised storms. The jetstream and wind forecast also looks favorable. New moon too. Might try some color with the CN-212 with the OSC see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ACCESS_000-072_ds_nsw_live.png)
91.8 KB23 views
Old 03-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Ive been down the south coast at my holiday pad since Boxing Day and haven’t had a clear night as yet. AP rig is all set up in the backyard but covered and unpowered.My 12” GoTo Dob is in the garage covered as well and ready to roll out
The high pressure systems pushing around the bite and up the coast since last week haven’t cleared the moisture away from our region, lots of Lows behind them so still getting an onshore stream with low level cloud of an evening
Late tonight is looking better and Friday night is looking real good but the wind will be up around 20km/hr which is manageable
Oh well the joys of summer, short nights, humidity, mosquitoes, Christmas beetles flying into your OTA and cloud
Fingers crossed
Cheers
Old 03-01-2019, 01:09 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Oh well the joys of summer, short nights, humidity, mosquitoes, Christmas beetles flying into your OTA and cloud
We should ask the BoM to have a mosquitoes index like the UV index.