Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:15 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I can offer only one valid answer to the question first asked....

AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE!

Law in private practice, then employed in the Commonwealth Attorney Generals (Family Law no big deal) and opperated my own Real Estate Office and retired just before fifty to go bush and work on the gravity problem.

alex
Old 03-12-2008, 03:02 PM
JimmyH155

some of my jobs

Absolutely amazing range of jobs you all do. I am a mechanical Engineer by profession, and like Ian Robinson am fed up with it. Mainly mining projects which all go belly up. Last staff job I had with GRD Minproc started off in September and lasted till 2 weeks ago. Oh well I have been unemployed many Christmasses. OUCH
One job that none of you lot have mentioned is on one of my unemployment sessions, I worked for an undertaker as Morgue attendant Grade 2. I can tell you some horror stories you bet. There are three main types of "deceased" persons that are a bit of a worry to work on - namely leakers, bloaters and stinkers, and I can tell you a thing or two what amazing things can be done with a tube of superglue
other jobs over the years include croupier (lasted 1 hour)
Naval Officer (RN)
Waiter in New York
Chauffeur for British Consul General
Forestry Commission worker
Encyclopaedia salesman
Real Estate consultant
Factory worker making broom handles
Farmer trying to live off proceeds of 30 cattle (That was however the best year we ever spent) near Gympie
I am currently writing a book on my adventures - look out soon folks and if I become a best seller, will be giving away several Obsessions
Old 03-12-2008, 05:45 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyH155 View Post
There are three main types of "deceased" persons that are a bit of a worry to work on - namely leakers, bloaters and stinkers...
Deceased? I've managed all three while still alive. Jim!! Put that superglue down this instant!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
Deceased? I've managed all three while still alive. Jim!! Put that superglue down this instant!
Old 06-12-2008, 10:04 PM
garyp
coffee time

I'm currently working on a cropping farm growing mainly onions potatoes wheat and carrots. 900ha all up.

My main work is driving the different machines. Trucks at harvest. tractors at planting time. At other times it's spreading fertilizer with a multidrive and operating the ditchdigger. In winter we graze dairy cows.

Gary
Old 23-12-2008, 08:50 AM
meliux (Dan)
yes have some

well, since my little post here the other week, I've already had a change in roles... I'm with the same company, but now they're simply calling me a "technical consultant"... far from being a demotion, it is in fact a pay rise and a shift from internal consumer ISP support to a role where I'm to develop value-added network-based software and solutions for business/premium customers (and decide what to do with some internal software and servers in use by the consumer teams which I still have to maintain/administer).
Instead of working in a call centre following a rotating roster where I currently start at any time between 7am and 3pm 7 days a week, now I'll be going to a cushy 9-5 M-F role. The only down side is that it is in Brissy; not sure how the commute from the GC to Bris will go

oh and as for qualifications... an incomplete Advanced Degree in Computer Systems Engineering from SBIT, and a lapsed CCNP. All I can say is that I'm very thankful for managers still being around who recognise experience as being just as good as qualification.

Before all this, back in 2000-2003 I was an administrative assistant at a medium sized financial/accounting firm in Brisbane where my task was to scan hundreds of thousands of paper documents through a sheet feeder into a computer database. After a few months I managed to switch roles to become their PFY, before I got sniped by a dodgy contractual agreement... learnt a lot from that whole experience.
Between then and my current employer, I did a little contract work, and even pumped petrol/stocked shelves for Shell and Coles for a couple of months.
Old 23-12-2008, 09:17 AM
toc (Tim)

Currently I work at RMIT (ITS), as a perl/Java programmer. My mine job is a system called 'WebLearn'. It's a web based testing/quizzing tool.
Old 23-12-2008, 02:51 PM
mcross

Primary School Teacher by trade. Have taught for 22 years, some up in far north Queensland but have been back on the Coast for quite a few years now. Have also had a long interest in health & wellbeing, so have begun to study Acupuncture part time this year, which has been very interesting but has taken up some of my stargazing time!!!

Mark
Old 23-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Glenhuon (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcross View Post
Primary School Teacher by trade. Have taught for 22 years, some up in far north Queensland but have been back on the Coast for quite a few years now. Have also had a long interest in health & wellbeing, so have begun to study Acupuncture part time this year, which has been very interesting but has taken up some of my stargazing time!!!

Mark
Stick with it mate, Primary School teachers have more influence on their pupils than they realise
Still in touch with my teacher after 50 years, she gave me a lot of confidence in my abilities that I never would have got from my family (Mum excepted).

Bill
Old 23-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Scoper (Malcolm)

I work in Mental Health as part of an outreach rehab team in the Central West NSW, i have done this for four years and enjoy the work, i find it very rewarding. Before this I worked in disability support----and before that-----Jack of all trades, tried my hand at many things, drifting in and out of jobs since I left school (in 1969).

My current ambition is to learn how to upload a pic of myself to my profile in Iceinspace.

Cheers and have an enjoyable christmas

Malcolm
Old 23-12-2008, 10:07 PM
mcross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenhuon View Post
Stick with it mate, Primary School teachers have more influence on their pupils than they realise
Still in touch with my teacher after 50 years, she gave me a lot of confidence in my abilities that I never would have got from my family (Mum excepted).

Bill
Thanks Bill. Like any job, it has it's ups and downs but, all in all, it has been a rewarding job. While kids certainly can drive you crazy at times, I think that it does keep you young being around them!! It's also great to hear that your teacher was such a positive influence because, in many cases, we don't get to see the kids that we have taught after we pass them on at the end of the year.

Mark

Last edited by mcross; 23-12-2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Detail added
Old 17-02-2009, 09:34 AM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

What do you do for a living?

seems there are people from all walks of life on here, so i thought it would be interesting to see what you people do when your not gazein' upwards (although i know this has probably been done before)

I'm a technical troubleshooter for the largest IT company in the world, and after having worked for them in the USA, and the UK i now find myself here, i deal with hardware, and all manner or software, Citrix, Oracle, SQL, Novell, AD, the list goes on, and on .... and i can write some code to

i notice there are a few IT bods on here.

sorry if this is nosey of me to ask !!

Old 17-02-2009, 09:51 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

These threads come up every year or so and they're a great insight into each others real lives.

The last one was only a few months ago, here:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=38146

Not sure if enough time has elapsed to have another one yet
Old 17-02-2009, 09:53 AM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
These threads come up every year or so and they're a great insight into each others real lives.

The last one was only a few months ago, here:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=38146

Not sure if enough time has elapsed to have another one yet

thanks for that, can you add my post onto the end of that thread, and close this one?

thanks

Old 17-02-2009, 09:55 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Done
Old 17-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Baddad (Marty)
Teknition

Some colourful occupations there. I currently work in a "trade" where I
Watch birds,
chase furry things, rescue damsels in distress,
slay dragons but the impossible takes overnight.

Very little of my work is general pest control. Mostly dealing with the eviction of possums & birds from inside ceiling cavities of private and other premises. Can be interesting at times.

I was a radio and radar repair technician in the Australian Army for 20 years. A military cop, Before my National Service call up I was employed as a storeman clerk at a major biscuit manufacturer.
I also worked as a plumber's labourer,
a carpenter's labourer,
and orchard labourer.
Old 17-02-2009, 10:49 AM
matt
6000 post club member

Hi Marty...and welcome

Good to see more Brisbanites here at IIS.
Old 17-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Jay-qu

Primarily I am a student, but for work I also tutor younger students and do a little bit of paid research on the side
Old 17-02-2009, 02:13 PM
toetoe (Peter)
Always Trying

Support Worker with challenging behaviors in the disability field.
Old 18-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Baddad (Marty)
Teknition

Thanks for the welcome Matt
I have a new scope and have had no opportunity to use it yet.
Although I'm not knocking the rain but it would be nice to see the clouds part once in a while.