Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 28-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Rastis
Professional Idiot

Fitter at Downer EDI Rail Maryborough. I mainly do Maintenance on Loco and Tilt Train Wheel sets.
Old 28-11-2008, 08:36 PM
dalemadison

Secondary School teacher for the last six years. Before that was in the US Air Force involved in satellite tracking, satellite control, missile launching and did four years at Cape Canaveral in the early 80s launching the shuttle.
Old 28-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

Spent 6 years at UNE collecting bits of paper. Came out with a duel major Bachelor Degree with Honours in Archaeology and Palaeoanthropolgy. From this i get paid (sometimes) to make something special out of ancient trash Currently trying to sort out a Masters in forensic science.
Old 28-11-2008, 10:50 PM
rastis95 (Scott)
Cant wait for clear skies

Hi all,
Studied at uq for 4 years as an agronomist, some how ended up in southern nsw working in the timber industry for 9 years (don't ask ) now trying my hand at running a 7 day a week food business. Life is never boring
Cheers
Scott
Old 28-11-2008, 11:15 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Fantastic thread!
Some of my other jobs have been:
Machinist- making jump suits for parachutists at Ramblers drop zone.
Dairy hand- milking cows etc (don't ask about the etc)
I managed an Arab Horse Stud for a couple of years at Vinegar Hill, west of Sydney.
ARES- Not just a weekend warrior. I was in Supply and we worked, weighing up and sending off the weekly rations to Units all over Queensland.
Making concrete pavers.
Taking tourists on trail rides up at Cape Tribulation.
Old 28-11-2008, 11:17 PM
PeterM

I spent my early working years (1976-1983) as a warranty clerk / stock control manager (BMW & Datsuns) at Capital Motors in Auburn NSW. Was the lead guitarist in a Sydney pub / punk band in the late 70s early 80's -even had the Divinyls as our support band on one occasion - hows that I reckon I saw Chrissy Amphlett in suspenders before most did, Blacktown RSL, Dee Why Hotel, War and Peace, Penrith Leagues, Sutherland Hotel etc , Midnight Oil and us at Castle Hill RSL ahh memories, met everyone who was anyone. Moved to Gold Coast in 1983 and managed highrise apartments with my wifes family then worked as a Manager for a number of finance companies and building societies in Qld for about 20 years. Gave up work and swapped roles with my wife several years ago and became Mr mum becoming primary carer for my severley disabled (cerebal palsy etc, etc, etc) 20 year old son, I do everything from wipe his nose to well you know, I love him and the role dearly, he is my inspiration in my driving absolute passion for supernova hunting. Almost forgot I work at Sirius Optics Saturday's. Other than that I have only posted a few times on IIS in the last few years but that maybe about to change and maybe I have something to offer, unless the weather changes.
PeterM

Last edited by PeterM; 29-11-2008 at 07:49 AM. Reason: missed my Saturday job
Old 29-11-2008, 12:04 AM
coldspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
I spent my early working years (1976-1983) as a warranty clerk / stock control manager (BMW & Datsuns) at Capital Motors in Auburn NSW. Was the lead guitarist in a Sydney pub / punk band in the late 70s early 80's -even had the Divinyls as our support band on one occasion - hows that I reckon I saw Chrissy Amphlett in suspenders before most did, Blacktown RSL, Dee Why Hotel, War and Peace, Penrith Leagues, Sutherland Hotel etc , Midnight Oil and us at Castle Hill RSL ahh memories, met everyone who was anyone. Moved to Gold Coast in 1983 and managed highrise apartments with my wifes family then worked as a Manager for a number of finance companies and building societies in Qld for about 20 years. Gave up work and swapped roles with my wife several years ago and became Mr mum becoming primary carer for my severley disabled (cerebal palsy etc, etc, etc) 20 year old son, I do everything from wipe his nose to well you know, I love him and the role dearly, he is my inspiration in my driving absolute passion for supernova hunting. Other than that I have only posted a few times on IIS in the last few years but that maybe about to change and maybe I have something to offer, unless the weather changes.
PeterM
Peter,
I think you will be able to provide endless things to offer everyone here, your knowledge in Astronomy is second to none.
I will catch up with you before end of year for a beer.
Bloody weather up here at the moment.

Matt.
Old 29-11-2008, 12:09 AM
PeterM

Your $50 is in the mail, oh, did I also mention I am a confidence trickster?
PeterM
Old 29-11-2008, 12:18 AM
matt
6000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Was the lead guitarist in a Sydney pub / punk band in the late 70s early 80's
Which band?
Old 29-11-2008, 12:29 AM
PeterM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Which band?
oh oh, I thought this might happen. The band was called Peculiarclerk (a punky pun on Petula Clarke suggested by a manager of a very, very well known Sydney band at the time - seems there is some stuff on you tube) - as it turned out we were one of Doug Mulray's 5 favourite band names (and i have the clipping to prove it) . We played some 500 gigs in sydney between 1980 & 1982 and that's about it. If I owe anyone a refund on their admission price please contact my solictors on............
PeterM

Last edited by PeterM; 29-11-2008 at 01:31 AM. Reason: typo
Old 29-11-2008, 12:43 AM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Having just read through everyones replies it seems we're a pretty mixed bunch. I've noticed that with astronomy, it doesn't attract just one type of person, but appeals to a wide band.

My work - well, lets concentrate on the now, lets not dwell on the murky past....(although some here might know what I attempted).

Currently I am doing two main jobs, one as a casual presenter at Horizon the Planetarium here at Scitech in Perth (1 to 2 days a week, that's all I can handle and stay sane! And keep my voice!) and the other is as Environmental Scientist-come-botanist for a small private company. The botany was mainly a hobby but with the mining boom there's been a pretty severe shortage of them around town of late and anyone with a modicum of botanical knowledge has been pressed into service. And I'm going to tutor for summer uni course on first-year level astronomy again for a few weeks.
Old 29-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Glenhuon (Bill)

Retired a couple of years ago. Started off as a Coal miner and then apprentice fitter with the then National Coal Board in Scotland. Worked for a while as a jobbing fitter with a welding company, 10 years as a travelling mechanic with the Northern Lighthouse board. Moved to Aus, had a few short stints with factory maintenance. Last 24 years with the WA Water supply as Diesel/Chlorination/Pump fitter in the Midwest and finished up as Mech Supervisor Waste Water Treatment for the SW Region of WA before pulling the pin. Enjoyed them all, was more like fun than work most of the time.

Bill
Old 29-11-2008, 09:42 AM
bert (Brett)
Automation nut

Hi guys,

We do have some interesting people on this forum. I started out in a family business manufacturing shed and garage kits and and buiding the finished product, a 1 stop shop.

After a few years I did the sydney thing (its a country thing) running a crew of guys fitting out Hi- Rise apartment buildings fitting out carparks for one of Sydneys (australia maybe?) biggest apartment builders.

Then back to the country where I work at a garage door business as head installer/nerd. As well as your run off the mill residential work we do a lot of commercial and industrial door solutions, including being called out to an observatory to automate a roll off obs which started an obsession....

I have automated a few observatories now (roll off and dome) and have built a roll off setup, which I had a blast doing for 1 of the members of this forum.

The future:

I am looking at a sideline business making complete roll off automated observatory kits at a realistic price, I have a few designs on the drawing board at the moment. Should be fun!

Brett
Old 29-11-2008, 10:09 AM
FarmerBen

Hi All, I'm a bit of a lurker on this site but, reading the responses from everyone, I thought I'd pitch in.

Out of school I had no real idea what I wanted to do, so without direction I studied business management. I had been tinkering around with computers for a few years prior to this so it was the computing element that most interested me. I ended up teaching computing subjects at the local TAFEs, along with business communication and maths.
I was also a martial arts instructor for about 10 years and ran my own computer networking business.
I went back to school and got an Associate Diploma in IT and later completed 12 months of a Computer Science degree, but I gave that away due to lack of interest.
I've been working in IT for about 17 years doing all manner of things,and currently occupy my time as part of Infrastructure Services for a University. I think I have one more IT job left in me before I call it quits.

On the side I'm a farmer - beef cattle, and photographer. I'm trying to turn my photographic skills to astro-photography but ... this bl**dy weather!
Old 29-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

very interesting read between all of us we could take over NASA right
Old 29-11-2008, 02:39 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Degrees of seperation

I'm starting to notice some interesting interconnections and shared experiences. Has anyone else noticed this sort of thing?

I've done a similar job to Dog Star, selling steel in Pt Headland. I was supposed to be a storeman/driver but as there were only 2 of us I had to be able to do everything in the office as well, and mostly did - the boss was happy to 'delegate'. I really enjoyed it. I spent far less time than Zuts as part of the itinerant farm workforce, in Kununurra. The work was OK but the pay was pathetic.

At work I have bought supplies from the company run by Max Vondel (or I think I have - I certainly know the cattle-dog). Rodroger and I both work on mass specs. They're different breeds but we could still probably bore the rest of you to death talking shop. From his time at UNE Davros would certainly know an academic who is now at Wollongong. I spoke briefly to Mike yesterday but didn't ask him how the last dig went.

Finally, I've realized there are a few people on the forum who live quite close to me who I don't know.
Old 29-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
I'm starting to notice some interesting interconnections and shared experiences. Has anyone else noticed this sort of thing?

I've done a similar job to Dog Star, selling steel in Pt Headland. I was supposed to be a storeman/driver but as there were only 2 of us I had to be able to do everything in the office as well, and mostly did - the boss was happy to 'delegate'. I really enjoyed it. I spent far less time than Zuts as part of the itinerant farm workforce, in Kununurra. The work was OK but the pay was pathetic.

At work I have bought supplies from the company run by Max Vondel (or I think I have - I certainly know the cattle-dog). Rodroger and I both work on mass specs. They're different breeds but we could still probably bore the rest of you to death talking shop. From his time at UNE Davros would certainly know an academic who is now at Wollongong. I spoke briefly to Mike yesterday but didn't ask him how the last dig went.

Finally, I've realized there are a few people on the forum who live quite close to me who I don't know.
Is that Mike Morwood of Flores fame. I had a choice for my dissertation between spending time assisting at Flores or going my own way. I went my own way with Taphonomic effects on fish bone and now i am kicking myself...................HARD
Old 29-11-2008, 04:34 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Is that Mike Morwood of Flores fame. I had a choice for my dissertation between spending time assisting at Flores or going my own way. I went my own way with Taphonomic effects on fish bone and now i am kicking myself...................HARD
Ouch ... give it a kick for me! Yep, it's Mike. He's now stopped exploring Flores and is looking for the next big discovery on Sulawesi.
Old 29-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

Thanks for the update its good to know he's still on the hunt. Mike is an absolute gentleman and it was my pleasure to have him show me his love of rock art. UNE has changed a bit since i was there (2002).
Old 01-12-2008, 01:52 PM
BLiTZWiNG (Trent)
Certified n00b

I'm a Software Engineer at BIAMP Systems Australia. We make audio hardware and paging systems here (both hardware and software). My previous work was a bit different and can be viewed at www.apcmag.com.au (yes the website itself, not something on it!).

Prior to being a professional (ha!) software developer I was a TAFE & VET in schools trainer in VIC.

And prior to that I was an Architectural Draftsman were I drew pretty pictures of many houses and bits of the odd notable building such as Federation Square (Melbourne).

I've always been interested in computers and astronomy, though I never got far with the latter. I got many many many good views of Halleys Comet in 85, and even though they had a telescope set up at my school, I don't think the guy knew how to use it, because I got a better view through my binoculars! I took some photos of McNaught with just a camera, they weren't as good as ones I saw on here, but hey, it felt great to have the opportunity to take them myself.

I used to look at the stars a lot night and wished I had a telescope. About 4 years ago I finally bought one, then I moved to QLD, now its sitting in the shed packed, waiting for my new house to be built. Soon. Real soon now! No longer shall I have to freeze outdoors at night!