Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-11-2016, 10:37 AM
blekk (Blair)

Yet another "please help choose" thread

Hi all

First thanks for taking the time to stop by, I know there are so many of these threads you must get sick of seeing them 😁

I'm wanting peoples opinions on a few choices - good and bad. I'm looking at getting my wife set up for xmas as she has always had a keen interest in astronomy but has never got around to taking that next step. Im tossing up whether to go with a Meade LX70 R6 OTA and GSO alt az mount; a GSO GS-500 and GSO mount; or the cheaper option of a Meade Polaris 130 set up?

TBH I'm leaning towards the LX70 and GSO mount as the OTA comes with a couple of eye pieces and would work out slightly cheaper then the GSO set and then having to purchase eye pieces as well, however I can't find any reviews what so ever on the Meade! Does this mean it's a bad choice or is everyone so happy with theirs they don't have time to write reviews as they're too busy star gazing 😉 OR would the Polaris be enough for now?

Cheers
Old 23-11-2016, 01:23 PM
glend (Glen)

Why not a Dobsonian scope? They are great, simple, entry level scopes with good reach.
Old 23-11-2016, 03:45 PM
blekk (Blair)

I was thinking along the lines of having something a bit more portable to take camping etc. and leave space for a bigger dobsonian down the track (ok so I too might be getting a little excited about the wife's new hobby ��)

On a side note, you're not the glend who's quite famous on a particular model of a particular car forum are you???
Old 23-11-2016, 03:49 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blekk View Post
I was thinking along the lines of having something a bit more portable to take camping etc. and leave space for a bigger dobsonian down the track (ok so I too might be getting a little excited about the wife's new hobby ��)

On a side note, you're not the glend who's quite famous on a particular model of a particular car forum are you???
Hmm I might be, if KJ means anything to you.
Old 23-11-2016, 06:43 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Blair
Couple of points. Firstly, a lot of people seem to think that dobs are not portable. My first 2 scopes were a 130mm newt on an EQ2 mount followed by an 8" dob. the portability factor was very slightly in favour of the 130mm but in terms of ease of use, simplicity, actually getting to see things and light grasp, the dob won hands down.
Secondly, the scopes you have mentioned are a bit vague in their descriptions. Are you getting info online? if so is it possible to post a link to the various products you mentioned? Makes it much easier to make informed comments on your choices.

Oh and welcome to IIS!!

Malcolm
Old 24-11-2016, 12:06 AM
blekk (Blair)

Thanks for the warm welcome ��

As suggested the links are as follows:

Meade LX70 R6 OTA
http://www.meade.com/products/ota/lx...onian-ota.html

Meade Polaris set
http://www.meade.com/products/telesc...reflector.html

The GSO OTA would be purchased through Andrews.

I have see whats been said about the Dobs and I would have every intention of purchasing one if it goes that way but when you've got a KJ Liberty (glend knows what I mean ��), full of camping gear there's only so much space you have left.
Old 24-11-2016, 03:32 AM
silv (Annette)

that meade newt is a new-ish ball in the game. haven't seen posts about it, either. i'd suggest you do a search on cloudynights.com for it.

is the price difference warranting the dive into the unknown?
what are the eyepieces like of which you say they'd make the meade more attractive? are they actually making sense in a fast ota? or will you be replacing them within a month, anyway?

6" newt in general is a good size. that'll keep her happy for a long time. it's not heavy, so she'll be more often under the stars than with a heavier setup.

as to the mount: it's the most important part. you'll want that to be frustration-free for a beginner. stable, easy to set up and in your case of planned camping trips easy to transport.
alt/az with GOTO would be my choice.

annette

p.s. what a wonderful present!!!!!
Old 24-11-2016, 12:06 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Blair, why don't you drop in to AstroPetes (Mt Gravatt) or Sirius Optics (Underwood) for a closer look?
Old 24-11-2016, 02:25 PM
blekk (Blair)

Thanks for the suggestions ☺ Astro Pete has a Saxon 150D for around the same price I could get the Meade LX70 for, has anyone had any experience with these? Would it be better then the Meade or are they about the same?
Old 24-11-2016, 03:08 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

I second the Astro Pete's suggestion as by talking to him you will get hands on experience of these scope's and others , ( Dob springs to mind ) .

Those 2 Meades are basically 'Generic' Newtonion reflectors out of a few factories in China , painted in Meades colors , look good but the same quality is avaliable here from local suppliers ( and we HAVE !! to support them ) with different brand name's Saxon and Sky Watcher to name a couple .
I take it those Mead's you mention are from an online supplier ?.

The Mount is another Generic product , probably a good EQ5 class mount , but again the same is avaliable locally at a better price and with money saved you could probably get a drive for it ? or a nice eyepiece ? .

Its only in the higher end scopes by Meade , Celestron and others does their name really mean anything , eg. they are made to their specifications so are mainly of very good quality .

Go talk to Astro Pete as said because he will see you right and you will have a much easier time if anything goes astray , you will be looked after ( just do a quick google search on Meade's after sales service ) .

All the best and you will be glad you joined us here and asked those questions , many don't and buy without doing some home work and end up disappointed and that's the end of their love of astronomy .

Oh yes to IIS .
Also the Saxon 150D is a good scope , as good as the Meade ( probably not as pretty , but in the dark who cares ? ) but again by buying local you are supporting local businesses and your after sales service ( if anything goes wrong) is only a phone call or visit away and will be sorted straight away , I have personally helped a person with a $10,000 mount out of the States that was a lemon , his reply was ,,,,,' send it back at your cost ' ,,,,, that was over $2500 ,,,,,

,,,,,,yep buy local Blair .

Brian.

Last edited by brian nordstrom; 24-11-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 27-11-2016, 02:31 PM
blekk (Blair)

Thanks all for your thoughts and advice. As Brian has pointed out Ive decided to keep it local and narrowed it down to 2 choices - the Saxon 150D and a GSO alt az mount, however I would have to get another eyepiece as the OTA only comes with 1 which puts the cost around $845ish ; or the Vixen R130Sf with a Vixen Porta mount II at $879.

The Vixen is a 5' while the Saxon is a 6' which Im not too concerned about as the main purpose is portable and an entry into astronomy before getting that 8' or so Dob ��

I cant find too many reviews on the Saxon but the people Ive spoken to give it a good rap, while there are good reviews on the Vixen as well. Again thanks in advance for the advice all - almost have this nailed (I hope lol)
Old 01-12-2016, 04:10 PM
blekk (Blair)

Thanks all for your advice I have decided on the Vixen R130Sf with the Porta mount II for the boss. Most reviews I've read speak very highly of the optics with the only downfalls really being the cheapish focuser (which can be replaced in the future), the odd spacer for the eye pieces and the occasional one missing the centre point on the primary mirror (which seems to only have been on the earlier ones).

TBH I think she'll have to fight me for it come xmas!!!

Thanks again for the warm welcome and advice