Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2020, 03:15 PM
glend (Glen)

Scope Case Mania, necessary or margin booster?

Over the past decade or so I have bought, and sold, a fair number of scopes, and have lately observed the apparent value add of manufacturers including aluminium cases with scopes.
When buying scopes from overseas suppliers like Teleskop-express, their TS branded triplet APO s always shipped in very well designed double cardboard shipping boxes with custom foam cutouts to support the scope. Never had an issue shipping them half way around the world, and they were useful if, or when, you eventually sold a scope.
Having recently purchased a large Skywatcher ED150, it surprised me the extent to which Skywatcher has committed to supplying aluminium hard cases for much of the lineup of refractors. Let's just examine the ED150 case, it weighs substantially more than the scope itself. When my boxed ED150 arrived the gross weight of the box was 30kg, and was a contributing factor for it being left in a couriers cage for a week.
I understand, in part, Skywatchers inclusion of a hard case for the ED150, as shipping damage in the USA was a hall mark of the launch of the original ED150. Overkill reaction was to provide a big,, heavy, aluminium case with four locks!
Now, looking at the Skywatcher catalog, almost all the refractors above basic Achros, come with aluminium cases.
So how did these cases become a standard accessory, regardless of whether the buyer wanted it? Obviously There is a cost to provide them, which is added to the bottom line on these scopes, and you cannot delete the case from your order. It's like Skywatcher expects them to be air dropped by C130s into your backyard.
Next, these cases take up space (forever). The ED150 case is about the size of a large rifle gun safe, not something you can just tuck away. Even the small ones need to go somewhere.
Why not make cases an option? Is it because no one would pay for one? For those that absolutely think they have to have one, there are many aftermarket solutions. Small scopes like the ED72 etc can be put in a cheap Bunnings Craftright pluck foam case. In several ED150 reviews I have run across, it was suggested to leave the heavy case at home if your going to a dark site, just stick the scope in one of the nice Geopick padded bags, as they are much easier to handle and weigh next to nothing.
So that is my gripe for this week. What are your view on mandatory case supply?
Old 07-12-2020, 03:53 PM
Craig_

I like the included cases because it means you get something sturdy with pre-cut foam gauranteed to fit your scope. But they are not perfect.

I got an Esprit 120 recently, and this comes with a large and heavy case. I have two gripes with it: one is that the rubber ball system they use to support the scope isn't well designed - the balls sit within holes cut into the foam, but they keep falling out when you remove the scope from the case, quite annoying. The 2nd gripe is that the case is not designed to allow for a losmandy/vixen to be mounted on top of your 120 rings: the scope ships with a bottom losmandy plate and this fits fine but if you mount a plate on top, the case no longer closes. The fix seems to be cutting big chunks out of the foam to allow the new bar to fit in, but I don't really want to do that. So I have to remove the scope from the rings to store it in the case... quite annoying.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:54 PM
astro744

The first person to delete a case from their order may well be the first one to complain that their ‘scope has been damaged in shipping or is out of collimation. I would take an aluminium case over a cardboard one anytime even if I didn’t use it later.

You can always sell your case if you don’t like it to offset the cost of your telescope or keep it in case you change your mind about the ‘scope so any prospective new buyer has a nice case to protect it.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:07 PM
sunslayr (David)

I think I would prefer a smaller lighter case for general transport rather than the massive tank like cases they provide to protect from courier damage. Then for shipping they could put that smaller case in a protective cardboard and foam box that way it can survive the "Auspost" treatment.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:10 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

If I was moving my scope any distance, I’d be putting it in its case for travel.

I’d challenge anyone to get a suitable transport case for something the size of an ED150 for less money than the price reduction if it wasn’t included
Old 08-12-2020, 12:56 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

FWIW, even the case for the Esprit 100 is heavy....the case for the Esprit 150 is a monster, but then it has wheels